Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 10:11   #11056
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,595
Thanked: 3,319 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Athani bhai,

This is thelink: Motorola Defy – xda-developers
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:57   #11057
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Athani bhai,

This is thelink: Motorola Defy – xda-developers
Point taken, Sirji ;-)
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:02   #11058
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Can anyone please help me how to transfer contacts from BB 8900 to Samsung Note?

Edit: Note users, what is the battery back up you get for medium use? any ways to increase backup? It feel like the batter drains faster than my old Tab. (Its in stock condition)

Last edited by coolclouds : 30th August 2012 at 13:06.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:15   #11059
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 252
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Can anyone please help me how to transfer contacts from BB 8900 to Samsung Note?

Edit: Note users, what is the battery back up you get for medium use? any ways to increase backup? It feel like the batter drains faster than my old Tab. (Its in stock condition)
i did it like this:
1. you must have gmail account.
2. configure this on your blackberry.
3. activate contacts sync with gmail
4. now you will have all your contacts in gmail.
5. configure same account on you samsung note and sync contact.
6. Done
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:23   #11060
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 993
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
noooooooooooooooooooo.
Unless you know the dealer personally, this can be a darned pain. Buy the Indian version if you must. Warranty = peace of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Sir, you could have considered the Sony Xperia S as well. It is available for 27k with warranty. It would have checked all the right boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
Sirji, he already bought. Let him enjoy now :-)
I did consider the Xperia S though briefly. Why? First, because it is a Sony. Second, because it is pricier than my budget limits. I initially started with a 20K pot, which I upgraded to a 25K pot mainly to get myself a better phone. This Xperia S would have exceeded that limit.
So, eventually it was a shootout between S2 and HOS. S2 was definitely cheaper by around 3K, but HOS had better performance and camera. The HOS Indian version has issues with Heating etc, and as far as I can understand with my limited intelligence the 1.5 is a better architecture. Hence the choice between Indian and International version.
Regarding Warranty - Let's see how it goes.... Since I intend to Root the device on Day 1, any warranty would have gone out of the window immediately, so why should I pay the 2-3K INR markup for the same? Yes, it is a risk, but then so is driving.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:23   #11061
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
....
In fact Athani, just to put to rest your doubts on locked bootloader of Motorola, here's a rather lucid explanation from the XDA forums:

LOCKED Bootloader, what does this means?
For some people is hell, for others (normally non advanced users) is a pretty cool insurance for their phone. This locked Bootloader thing means there is no (so far) way to rewrite the Stock Bootloader or the Stock Recovery.

When the phone turns on the Bootloader basically starts all the hardware and make your phone come alive.

Then we have the Stock Recovery, this little part of your phone is also locked and cannot be removed or changed from your phone, it will allow you to make Recovery stuff like Full Wipe (Data and Cache) and install Update.zip files.

At first this became a problem, because with a locked Bootloader there is no way to install a Custom Recovery like ClockworkMod or install a new Rom.

Here is where 2nd Init comes to play, this little awesome app kicks in right after the Bootloader and allows the Defy to load a different, non-Stock Android. With this, you can also install a Custom Recovery, which runs from the Internal Memory, and is not ran from the Recovery Partition (remember: locked, not accessible)

What does this means? That even screwing up your phone, deleting all your stuff, or screwing /system partition the phone can still get into Recovery, be recognized by RSD Lite in Bootloader Mode and be flashed with a Stock or modified Rom and it will come back to life normally.

Source: [GUIDE] All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide - xda-developers
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:46   #11062
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
In fact Athani, just to put to rest your doubts on locked bootloader of Motorola, here's a rather lucid explanation from the XDA forums:

LOCKED Bootloader, what does this means?
For some people is hell, for others (normally non advanced users) is a pretty cool insurance for their phone. This locked Bootloader thing means there is no (so far) way to rewrite the Stock Bootloader or the Stock Recovery.

When the phone turns on the Bootloader basically starts all the hardware and make your phone come alive.

Then we have the Stock Recovery, this little part of your phone is also locked and cannot be removed or changed from your phone, it will allow you to make Recovery stuff like Full Wipe (Data and Cache) and install Update.zip files.

At first this became a problem, because with a locked Bootloader there is no way to install a Custom Recovery like ClockworkMod or install a new Rom.

Here is where 2nd Init comes to play, this little awesome app kicks in right after the Bootloader and allows the Defy to load a different, non-Stock Android. With this, you can also install a Custom Recovery, which runs from the Internal Memory, and is not ran from the Recovery Partition (remember: locked, not accessible)

What does this means? That even screwing up your phone, deleting all your stuff, or screwing /system partition the phone can still get into Recovery, be recognized by RSD Lite in Bootloader Mode and be flashed with a Stock or modified Rom and it will come back to life normally.

Source: [GUIDE] All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide - xda-developers
2 init does not appear to work on all phones. And there's still the problem of flashing unsigned kernels.

Anyway, we were advising a friend here who was about to buy a phone. I see no compelling reason why anyone should buy a phone with an unlock able bootloader against one which can be unlocked. Hence, the advice to him.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:52   #11063
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,642
Thanked: 1,352 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Just like Galaxy Note 10.1, this will have a plethora of S-Pen friendly app. I am sure the display will be just as good as previous one even though it has a little less resolution.

I wonder why 2GB of RAM is not needed? Is will make everything more fluent and with JB's 60fps, it will be much better. Also those 2GB will definitely be useful when multitasking using S-Pen.
The S pen part is very interesting! Very filmy Very futuristic. Good one Samsung.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:03   #11064
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
2 init does not appear to work on all phones. And there's still the problem of flashing unsigned kernels.

Anyway, we were advising a friend here who was about to buy a phone. I see no compelling reason why anyone should buy a phone with an unlock able bootloader against one which can be unlocked. Hence, the advice to him.
Let me rephrase - what are you trying to achieve by unlocking the bootloader anyway?

Rooting can be done irrespective of the status of the bootloader.

At the end, you will flash a custom ROM only na? If that can be done within the safe confines of a locked bootloader (if you read the highlighted text above, you will realize why I'm calling it safe), then why do you want to unlock it? Beats me.

The purpose of Android is to have maximum flexibility in modding the phone, while mitigating the possibilities of bricking it. Which means a locked BL is better. It protects your original ROM under all circumstances.

EDIT - On which model(s) does 2nd-init does not work? From whatever I researched, that's the ONLY proven method.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 30th August 2012 at 14:05.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:25   #11065
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
3. activate contacts sync with gmail
Thank you so much.

I have my gmail account configured in BB but couldn't find the correct menu option to perform Contact Sync. Can you please let me know how to do above step in detail?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:35   #11066
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Sorry, double post. Mods please delete.

Last edited by Athani : 30th August 2012 at 14:42.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:39   #11067
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Let me rephrase - what are you trying to achieve by unlocking the bootloader anyway?

Rooting can be done irrespective of the status of the bootloader.

At the end, you will flash a custom ROM only na? If that can be done within the safe confines of a locked bootloader (if you read the highlighted text above, you will realize why I'm calling it safe), then why do you want to unlock it? Beats me.

The purpose of Android is to have maximum flexibility in modding the phone, while mitigating the possibilities of bricking it. Which means a locked BL is better. It protects your original ROM under all circumstances.

EDIT - On which model(s) does 2nd-init does not work? From whatever I researched, that's the ONLY proven method.

Well, if anybody is worried about bricking, he shouldn't be dabbling with custom ROMs, rooting, unlocking bootloaders or anything of that sort in the first place. So let's keep that aside.

About init2,there's still problem with flashing custom kernel (not ROM). Even custom ROMs, if it's a new phone, you have to wait until Devs have found certain work arounds...with init2 or any other method, to have custom recovery, allow unsigned ROMs, etc. Getting all these things to work is also more complicated than otherwise - especially for the new people.

I've already stated the circumstances under which my advice was given. Don't wish to add anything more on this topic. We could go on and on....
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:40   #11068
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

A decent replacement for the Desire, finally?

Desire X

HTC Desire X unveiled: One Series style on a budget | The Verge
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 15:19   #11069
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 252
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thank you so much.

I have my gmail account configured in BB but couldn't find the correct menu option to perform Contact Sync. Can you please let me know how to do above step in detail?
go to:
1. options
2. Setup
3. you will find your email accounts in 'setup'
4. click on email accounts
5. then click on internet email (that's where your gmail account must have been configured)
6. it will check email settings for 10 seconds
7. it should list your gmail account after this
8. click on it
9. choose full menu
10. click on 'edit'
11.scroll down
12. last option should be "synchronization options"
13. click on it and you should find 3 options (calendar, contacts and deleted items).
14. check the option of contacts

Done
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 15:51   #11070
BHPian
 
rambo1o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 430
Thanked: 196 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks to all for helping me out with making a decision on my next phone.

To bring closure to my question here (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods), I should update that I have just placed an order for HTC One S, for 25K INR.
Finally it came down to a shootout between S2 and HOS, and after much deliberation, I decided to spend a couple of thousand bucks more and go for the more modern phone.

[/i]
Congratulations.Did you get this from ebay??If yes then is there T mobile(Ebay one is an imported unlocked T mobile version) bloatware on the phone??
Please post a mini review if possible. Isn't the 16GB non expandable memory a handicap?? If your views are favorable then i may give this phone a second look.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 30th August 2012 at 15:59.
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks