Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 16:39   #11071
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 991
Thanked: 722 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Please post a mini review if possible. Isn't the 16GB non expandable memory a handicap?? If your views are favorable then i may give this phone a second look.
Sure. Let me receive the phone and use it for a few days and I will post a mini-experience of the same. From all the reviews and feedback I could gather from real owners, everyone recommended the phone.
The only handicap was the 16GB limit, but considering that I was not able to fill up my 16GB card in 1 year of using my SG-Ace, I am presuming that this would be sufficient for me over the next 2 years or so (Fingers crossed). In fact I still had around 6-7 GB free when I lost the phone.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 17:30   #11072
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
why should I pay the 2-3K INR markup for the same? Yes, it is a risk, but then so is driving.
It is NOT the same. I have the chacha, complete with 2nd year warranty. Yet, i unlocked the bootloader because the OEM ROM was a piece of crap.

Now in under 3 months, my touchscreen has gone to the dogs.

I am left with a phone resaleable worth 4k, asking for repairs between 2-2.5k. HTC service center has indicated the unlocking the bootloader means no warranty for touchscreen. Now I am pullin my hair out till the screen survives, then it becomes daksh's latest teether. Even now, its simply cranky with no indication of when/how it will work or not work. This stupid Sense does not even have an option of disabling the lock screen.

Modding != HTC

EDIT: buying a non-HTC like motorola is good. atleast you can flash a fixed SBF, and then claim warranty with none the wiser. With HTC, the system picks up the IMEI as unlocked, then kiss warranty goodbye.

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th August 2012 at 17:31.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 19:49   #11073
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

It is NOT the same. I have the chacha, complete with 2nd year warranty. Yet, i unlocked the bootloader because the OEM ROM was a piece of crap.

Now in under 3 months, my touchscreen has gone to the dogs.

I am left with a phone resaleable worth 4k, asking for repairs between 2-2.5k. HTC service center has indicated the unlocking the bootloader means no warranty for touchscreen. Now I am pullin my hair out till the screen survives, then it becomes daksh's latest teether. Even now, its simply cranky with no indication of when/how it will work or not work. This stupid Sense does not even have an option of disabling the lock screen.

Modding != HTC

EDIT: buying a non-HTC like motorola is good. atleast you can flash a fixed SBF, and then claim warranty with none the wiser. With HTC, the system picks up the IMEI as unlocked, then kiss warranty goodbye.
I understand difference between HTC and others, but our friend is distinguishing between Indian and foreign HTC. The difference is 3k and since he's going to root anyway, he's will loose guarantee anyhow. So why should he pay for guarantee that he is going to forego on the 1st day? Or am I missing some point?
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 20:05   #11074
BHPian
 
rajanprash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

My experience with dealer warranty has been very bad. With Samsung official warranty, I got a refund for my Galaxy R after 6 months of usage as the camera was malfunctioning.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 21:14   #11075
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
I understand difference between HTC and others, but our friend is distinguishing between Indian and foreign HTC. The difference is 3k and since he's going to root anyway, he's will loose guarantee anyhow. So why should he pay for guarantee that he is going to forego on the 1st day? Or am I missing some point?
Rooting doesnt mean you lose warranty. There are ways to unroot and bring it back to stock.

I had rooted my Samsung Galaxy Ace when I got it last year. Installed as many as 4 different custom ROMs in a span of 2+ months. One day the touchscreen went kaput. I unrooted, flashed stock ROM and gave it for repair. Got it back as good as a brand new phone.

That's exactly what I was trying to tell you in the last post too. Rooting is *just* gaining admin rights. You can go back to stock if you want. And that exactly is where a locked bootloader helps! But if you unlock the BL, essentially it stores an entry in the system ROM which is attached to IMEI (what happened to Hitanshu I guess!).

That's why when you try to unlock BL on Moto's site, it states warranty would be void.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 30th August 2012 at 21:16.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 21:48   #11076
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Micromax A90

This site seems to think that the Micromax A90 will be sold in stores with dual-core.

http://www.bgr.in/news/micromax-supe...moled-display/
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 22:32   #11077
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Rooting doesnt mean you lose warranty. There are ways to unroot and bring it back to stock.

I had rooted my Samsung Galaxy Ace when I got it last year. Installed as many as 4 different custom ROMs in a span of 2+ months. One day the touchscreen went kaput. I unrooted, flashed stock ROM and gave it for repair. Got it back as good as a brand new phone.

That's exactly what I was trying to tell you in the last post too. Rooting is *just* gaining admin rights. You can go back to stock if you want. And that exactly is where a locked bootloader helps! But if you unlock the BL, essentially it stores an entry in the system ROM which is attached to IMEI (what happened to Hitanshu I guess!).

That's why when you try to unlock BL on Moto's site, it states warranty would be void.
Rooting an HTC does mean loss of warranty. Certainly if you unlock the bootloader.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 22:36   #11078
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Micromax A90

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
This site seems to think that the Micromax A90 will be sold in stores with dual-core.

http://www.bgr.in/news/micromax-supe...moled-display/
It is already in the stores and is being sold with single core processor

______________________

Guys, I am badly confused between One V and A90. My heart is set on A90, Where as mind says to go with One V

Please help me out, I will be retaining the phone for 1.5 yrs.

Will micromax last, Any long term micromax users here ?

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 22:38   #11079
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Re: Micromax A90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
It is already in the stores and is being sold with single core processor

______________________

Guys, I am badly confused between One V and A90. My heart is set on A90, Where as mind says to go with One V

Please help me out, I will be retaining the phone for 1.5 yrs.

Will micromax last, Any long term micromax users here ?

Cheers,
Sameer
Thanks for clearing that up! But what is the price of the One V? For me, it will have to be the A90. And I have been offered 4k for my working P500. So it is a good deal.

Also, what is the price of the A90 in stores?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 22:48   #11080
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Micromax A90

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! But what is the price of the One V? For me, it will have to be the A90. And I have been offered 4k for my working P500. So it is a good deal.

Also, what is the price of the A90 in stores?
One V is for around 17.5k online, A90 is online for 12990/-, at offline stores, I guess you can get one for around 12500/-.

A90 specs are too tempting, Plus looks hot.

I am still confused.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 23:02   #11081
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,596
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default Re: Micromax A90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
It is already in the stores and is being sold with single core processor
Is it? I couldn't find one last week when I was hunting down the A100. Good for me, might have been lured to spend an additional 3k for the A90 over A100

Quote:
Guys, I am badly confused between One V and A90. My heart is set on A90, Where as mind says to go with One V
lol. That is a tough cookie to crack. As master Yoda would put it - The correct path, you'll have to choose.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 23:08   #11082
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 418 Times
Smile Re: Micromax A90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is it? I couldn't find one last week when I was hunting down the A100. Good for me, might have been lured to spend an additional 3k for the A90 over A100


lol. That is a tough cookie to crack. As master Yoda would put it - The correct path, you'll have to choose.
I am ready to pay extra 3k over A100, just because of better GPU and better camera in A90 over A100.

lol, My dad says go ahead with A90 ( one reason- It's cheap over One v ). I am damn confused.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 23:57   #11083
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Yesterday, samsung mobile twitted. "#GALAXYSIII, #GALAXYNote and #GALAXYNote 10.1 will get Android 4.1 Jellybean soon!".
Good news for Galaxy note users (including me ). Looks like SGS2 has to wait more time. Could be because of the ongoing dispute with Apple.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 00:16   #11084
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani

Rooting an HTC does mean loss of warranty. Certainly if you unlock the bootloader.
you're again confusing between rooting and unlocking bootloader! Technically all manufacturers explicitly say that rooting will void warranty.

But practically, you can unroot a phone and they won't know. But you can't re-lock the bootloader na?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 00:20   #11085
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,143
Thanked: 13,725 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How good is this Jelly Bean for Defy? I mean stability wise...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1768702
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks