Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:52   #11686
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Go dialer works but handcent doesn't support group sms. It asks for plugin installation but still doesn't work after that. I have made this the default message application.
Go SMS Pro supports group sms, though I have not used it yet. I have settled on this after trying handcent sms for a while apart from the stock messaging client.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:04   #11687
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: N Delhi
Posts: 396
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
I was in the same boat and received defy+ yesterday from flipkart at 13K. Now struggling to setup a motoblur account.
I did the smart thing .

I handed the phone to the offspring and asked him to activate it for me. He replied in the negative when the setup asked for data plan. For now I do not need Motoblur and the phone is not asking me for it. I wonder if there is any advantage to this Motoblur nonsense.
RS_DEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:11   #11688
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 291
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
I did the smart thing .

I handed the phone to the offspring and asked him to activate it for me. He replied in the negative when the setup asked for data plan. For now I do not need Motoblur and the phone is not asking me for it. I wonder if there is any advantage to this Motoblur nonsense.
Thats a good news really. I am not sure what will I miss if motoblur is not setup.

The size of the phone looks to be just right to be held on palm without making a compromise on the screen size. Yet to explore it fully, but the touch is very smooth without any lag.
sups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:14   #11689
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar

Go SMS Pro supports group sms, though I have not used it yet. I have settled on this after trying handcent sms for a while apart from the stock messaging client.
Thanks I shall try that out and see.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:21   #11690
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
I was in the same boat and received defy+ yesterday from flipkart at 13K. Now struggling to setup a motoblur account.
Pardon me but what's the struggle about? Its a simple sign on process. And while you may think it to be an inconvenience initially, its a safety feature. If you change your SIM (in the event that phone gets lost/stolen), MotoBLUR is what protects unauthorized usage. You can also control your phone online (SMS, Contacts, other data) by logging on to your account and remotely wiping the phone.

Of course if you choose to go the custom ROM way, you can bid farewell to MotoBLUR.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:09   #11691
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,255 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici

Thanks I shall try that out and see.
Go apps seem always to be a step ahead of popular specs.
Whatever grand specs you have on your phone, its never enough.
Instead of go, try pansi, handcent,chomp. Etc.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:24   #11692
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,446
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Does anyone have any experience with LG Optimus Me P350
http://www.flipkart.com/lg-optimus-m...mczbrrnyeqqzuz

Good/Bad?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:59   #11693
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,616
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Hell, no!!! The thought of paying this kind of money for a phone will put me into deep depression. Even going above 5000 seems depressing but there doesn't seem to be any options below.
I can sympathise with that. It's just a phone, for goodness sake, and I don't even make/receive many calls.

The trouble is, it is not just a phone any longer: it is everything from a camera (Defy+: bad :( ) to a GPS to a remote control for my media player. Recently it has even replaced my alarm clock. So, now I don't carry a phone at all: I carry a pocket-sized computer ---which also makes phone calls!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:11   #11694
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 291
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Pardon me but what's the struggle about? Its a simple sign on process. And while you may think it to be an inconvenience initially, its a safety feature. If you change your SIM (in the event that phone gets lost/stolen), MotoBLUR is what protects unauthorized usage. You can also control your phone online (SMS, Contacts, other data) by logging on to your account and remotely wiping the phone.
Actually every time I try to create the account, it says that registration failed. I will try it once more again.

One question. Can I create a motoblur account even when no sim is inserted and I am my phone is connected to wifi? Sorry for the noob question.
sups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:13   #11695
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I am planning to use cyanogenmod 9.1.
Warning: I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone

5.0.2.7
If you want to use or using CyanogenMod or custom rom with ext4 internal partition, you should use cwm with ext4only
If you use stock rom or custom rom with rfs filesystem, you must use cwm with ext4+rfs

So use this - http://www.mediafire.com/?gekbj3ekkx2vle0

Flash it using Odin.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:21   #11696
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 447
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^ Thanks a lot. Gonna download it right away.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:39   #11697
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: N Delhi
Posts: 396
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Pardon me but what's the struggle about? Its a simple sign on process. And while you may think it to be an inconvenience
Of course if you choose to go the custom ROM way, you can bid farewell to MotoBLUR.
Since you are apparently using a DEFY+ can you please tell me how to extract the MiniSd card that was shipped with the phone and insert a new one. I did download the user guide in pdf form from the MM website to see how to do this, but just can not dislodge sd card shipped with the phone from the slot it is inserted in. Any help will be most welcome.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 2nd October 2012 at 14:47.
RS_DEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:47   #11698
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Go apps seem always to be a step ahead of popular specs.
Whatever grand specs you have on your phone, its never enough.
Instead of go, try pansi, handcent,chomp. Etc.
I think it's true for their dialer, contacts and launcher. But SMS pro doesnt seem to cause any problems. I have used it for quite a while on optimus one and Note and never found any lag/ resource hog. Handcent at times sent the message to wrong recipient when you hit reply ( and No I didn't send it by mistake), though this was not frequent and happened only from messages in private inbox.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:55   #11699
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
^^ Thanks a lot. Gonna download it right away.
Before flashing anything, read the entire 2 xda threads.

I might have missed something and don't want you to brick your phone.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:19   #11700
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Since you are apparently using a DEFY+ can you please tell me how to extract the MiniSd card that was shipped with the phone and insert a new one. I did download the user guide in pdf form from the MM website to see how to do this, but just can not dislodge sd card shipped with the phone from the slot it is inserted in. Any help will be most welcome.
The red flap has a hinge at the lower side and comes out at the upper side. See this video.
b_naresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks