Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 18:26   #11701
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

I am looking for some good ebooks for kids of 10yrs. Do you have any recomendation? I googled but not useful.
Any reliable sites?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:34   #11702
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: N Delhi
Posts: 398
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
The red flap has a hinge at the lower side
Thank you very much.
RS_DEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:20   #11703
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 52
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Folks - Am seriously considering getting a reasonable Android phone that can be used primarily as a car phone (priority 1: Google maps - voice assist, priority 2: music) and have the Motorola Defy + in mind for this. Any recommendations?
pow3r2dawh33ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:05   #11704
BHPian
 
SilkDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Folks - Am seriously considering getting a reasonable Android phone that can be used primarily as a car phone (priority 1: Google maps - voice assist, priority 2: music) and have the Motorola Defy + in mind for this. Any recommendations?
Motorola defy + is a good phone with decent specs and a good WVGA screen resolution. The build quality is the best out there. It is dust resistant and water proof upto 1 meter. If ruggedness is on the top of your list then look no other way. It would be slightly heavy and chubby, with some protrusions on the edges (flaps for the ports etc) that might not look so elegant. But overall it is a very great phone.

However, (just a suggestion, with the thought that you don't buy a phone every other day), if u can shell out a few more thousands, you can get the Samsung Galaxy S Advance. This is the most VFM phone available today. It closely resembles the S2 in specs and performance for a much lower price. Surf on youtube for reviews, as there are tonnes of them.
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:11   #11705
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Folks - Am seriously considering getting a reasonable Android phone that can be used primarily as a car phone (priority 1: Google maps - voice assist, priority 2: music) and have the Motorola Defy + in mind for this. Any recommendations?
If GPS and music are the only requirements, you could get a touch screen Nokia Symbian phone for half the price. Nokia phones come with pre loaded maps and lifetime voice navigation.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:17   #11706
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 52
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Motorola defy + is a good phone with decent specs and a good WVGA screen resolution. The build quality is the best out there. It is dust resistant and water proof upto 1 meter. If ruggedness is on the top of your list then look no other way. It would be slightly heavy and chubby, with some protrusions on the edges (flaps for the ports etc) that might not look so elegant. But overall it is a very great phone.

However, (just a suggestion, with the thought that you don't buy a phone every other day), if u can shell out a few more thousands, you can get the Samsung Galaxy S Advance. This is the most VFM phone available today. It closely resembles the S2 in specs and performance for a much lower price. Surf on youtube for reviews, as there are tonnes of them.
Thanks for the suggestions SilkDrive - I am weighing options versus entry level dedicated GPS device such as the Garmin 50LM. From a price point of view it doesn't really add up. Defy + appears to be on top of choice thus far but I am still looking. This phone will be dedicated to the car and not used else where (similar to the dedicated GPS device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If GPS and music are the only requirements, you could get a touch screen Nokia Symbian phone for half the price. Nokia phones come with pre loaded maps and lifetime voice navigation.

Rohan
Rohan - Any specific model / suggestions? Would Google maps still work with turn by turn guidance perchance?
pow3r2dawh33ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:58   #11707
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Folks - Am seriously considering getting a reasonable Android phone that can be used primarily as a car phone (priority 1: Google maps - voice assist, priority 2: music) and have the Motorola Defy + in mind for this. Any recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Thanks for the suggestions SilkDrive - I am weighing options versus entry level dedicated GPS device such as the Garmin 50LM. From a price point of view it doesn't really add up. Defy + appears to be on top of choice thus far but I am still looking. This phone will be dedicated to the car and not used else where (similar to the dedicated GPS device).
If GPS is the ONLY requirement, why deviate towards a phone? For less than the cost of a Defy+ you can get a stand-alone GPS device. I'm always in favor of going for dedicated devices (e.g. DSLR for photography vs Lumia 42 MP etc) because they were built with a specific objective in mind.

However, if you are still hell bent on a phone-as-a-GPS device, Moto Defy+ is an excellent phone and has a great GPS receiver. I get a fix within seconds. GMaps is what I primarily use in city, sometimes aided by Sygic.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:02   #11708
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 579 Times
Exclamation Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

On a OT matter, how do the Xperia phones compare to the earlier Walkman series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I had a W810i and a Xperia Neo. I think am eligible to comment here The music quality of Xperia can of course be compared to W810i IMO. I felt almost the same. +1 to the sheer audio quality SE phones throw on us. But the same can't be said about camera IMO. My Neo used to take bad pics compared to some other smartphones out there. Never expected it from a manufacturer who created K750i which itself was a benchmark of photo quality in the 2MP camera era.
W810i was my previous phone and used it seamlessly for 5 years. Still young to roar but battery (stand-by) had come down drastically. There was no original battery available and the one I tried was not up to the mark. So I purchased my fourth Sony phone (in between bought S500i and W760i for wifey) last December 'Xperia Ray'. It was a super upgrade from W810i. Super sound quality, super display (close to 300 ppi), Good Camera, handy, metal built and convenience of Android platform (Apps).

So Xperia range is a definite improved product portfolio from Sony. Since 2011 they are serious about their phones.

On a side note, the newly launched Xperia TX is giving me sleepless nights. It's a hard feeling that I could have be with my W810i for a year more and grab the Xperia TX this December.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:34   #11709
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Thanks for the suggestions SilkDrive - I am weighing options versus entry level dedicated GPS device such as the Garmin 50LM. From a price point of view it doesn't really add up. Defy + appears to be on top of choice thus far but I am still looking. This phone will be dedicated to the car and not used else where (similar to the dedicated GPS device).
If you are looking for a dedicated phone to be kept in the car, then you probably are spending too much on a Defy.

I suggest get a cheaper phone in the 6-8K segment and keep it in the car.
Sygic 12.1.2 is now available for Rs. 1400 (and you can use one license on 5 devices)
Here is an example of an Android phone for less than Rs. 6000.
http://www.shopclues.com/karbonn-a7-...liate-desidime

Use coupon code SCSMARTDD

Another phone, though more expensive is this one:
http://www.tech2buzz.com/telephone-m...d-phone-review


Note: Please do your own detailed research before you put down your money on these.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:00   #11710
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

guys, whats the best street price for S3 16/32GB right now ?

thanks
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:41   #11711
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 406
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Atrix 2 guys on ICS, could you please tell me what's the amount free RAM you're getting right after boot?
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:30   #11712
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
guys, whats the best street price for S3 16/32GB right now ?
Picked up S3 16 GB for 34k from Vijay Sales in Mumbai.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:40   #11713
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,110
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Atrix 2 guys on ICS, could you please tell me what's the amount free RAM you're getting right after boot?
Right after boot I see around 350mb free RAM.

Although the ICS update clocked the processor to 1.2ghz, the total RAM shown is now 860mb, where as earlier it used to show 1gb
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:46   #11714
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 738
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Has anyone used the Sony Ericsson Xperia Active?
The phone and its specs look good. It costs about 15k I guess.

Need some user reviews if possible. Also, how is the Motorola Defy?

Thanks.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:04   #11715
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 406
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Right after boot I see around 350mb free RAM.

Although the ICS update clocked the processor to 1.2ghz, the total RAM shown is now 860mb, where as earlier it used to show 1gb
Thanks for the details. I guess that means around 140MB more RAM it takes than GB.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks