Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:51   #12061
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,835
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Google Maps and Navigation worked well when it came to giving me turn by turn directions, but messed up with a one-way. But as soon as I took the right deviation, the lady re-routed me pretty fast.
I tried the navigation, works well but the pronunciation of the lady has too much accent and with mobile speakers it sometimes becomes difficult to understand. Are there any other voices that can be downloaded or maybe some neutral accent.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:29   #12062
BHPian
 
punto_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyd/Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Do check out Sony Xperia Tipo. Its priced at around 9.6k and has ics out of the box and also has a decent 1500 mah battery unlike most phones in that range.

Regards,
+1 to that. I feel its best at the price point.
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:43   #12063
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
As I am not facing any such issues, i am not going to flash that. May be a new nightly with some definite improvements over current build.
Exactly the same reason why I am not in a hurry to upgrade to the latest build. I think now Quarx should make the next version as beta. These releases are more stable than the final versions of some other ROMs released by large companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As already mentioned Sony has refused a Jellybeans update for the Ray and all 2011 Xperias. The ICS update by Sony is clearly half baked and full of bugs and suffers from poor performance. I'm sure many here who have upgraded have experienced this.
Sad to hear that you are not happy with ICS on Ray. Wasn't there an update issued after the first ICS release which fixed all the issues?

Quote:
And it takes no genius to know that Sony is denying JB upgrade due to business and marketing considerations, and not due to hardware limitations, as JB runs very smoothly on lower specced hardware, than most 2011 Xperias. They are clearly lying when they are implying otherwise.
Yes. JB runs fine on 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM Moto Defy as well. Aren't there any custom JB ROMs that you have as an option?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:53   #12064
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,584 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I think I may have posted this earlier also. Look at the manufacturers perspective, a software upgrade gets no revenue, and may even delay the purchase of the next unit (loss of revenue). So we have to go to third party sources CM or MIUI etc. for the updates.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:10   #12065
BHPian
 
rajanprash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
I think I may have posted this earlier also. Look at the manufacturers perspective, a software upgrade gets no revenue, and may even delay the purchase of the next unit (loss of revenue). So we have to go to third party sources CM or MIUI etc. for the updates.
Although ur argument is valid. I would say it is flawed. Nowdays people are skeptical about buying a brand which would not get faster updates. LG lost a good market because they were not rolling out frequent updates. In fact i have seen most of my colleagues go for the Nexus series, although it has no warranty in india. They are sure they will get the latest updates. Agreed that the less knowledgeable would not know about updates.

Samsung is good when it comes to updates.even recently they released a minor update for the galaxy Y.

When it comes to the power user, updates are useful when they range from one hierarchy to another. Say for a defy plus user, a minor gingerbread update would not suffice, due to availability of custom roms for ics.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:41   #12066
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,462
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have some random junk characters displayed below the clock when the my Xperia Arc S is locked. I have searched the net and haven't found anything to trouble shoot. Can someone please give me some pointers?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:52   #12067
BHPian
 
NoMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Another t-bhpian buys the defy plus ... Looking forward to the android experience....

been watching this thread for a while and looking at all the choices, my gut instinct said go for it !
NoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:25   #12068
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

This is nova launcher with my blend of widgets and icons nothing else.
Try TSF Shell or SPB_SHELL or 360 launchers for more flexibility. You will not regret especially about TSF.
Attached Images
    

Last edited by sajjt : 23rd October 2012 at 16:40.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:02   #12069
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,412
Thanked: 1,675 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Samsung is good when it comes to updates.even recently they released a minor update for the galaxy Y.
Samsung is poor when it comes to updates. S3 and S2 needs JB . JB is long time pending for samsung.

I am in JB on Note and the experience is quite different from ICS or GB. The phone is snappier and smoother and the experience is getting close to what you get in an Iphone.

Iphone 5 and Io6 is more than a reason to start updating phones with JB.

If Note 2 can get JB and the soon to be launched (mostly) Nexus 10 gets latest OS i do not see why Samsung is delaying this JB launch.

The custom developers are able to atleast port the JB hence CM or MIUI are better options compared to samsung.

Samsung is very bad when it comes to updates. Their need to coat the google android stock always takes forever.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:28   #12070
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Samsung is poor when it comes to updates. S3 and S2 needs JB . JB is long time pending for samsung.
...
Samsung is very bad when it comes to updates. Their need to coat the google android stock always takes forever.
And that is Android's undoing. Other manufacturers are even worse at pushing updates, despite not being held at the whims and fancies of cellular providers in other parts of the world. Samsung is one of the better manufacturers who updates the flagship devices quickly. But when you look at the number of phones is their kitty, their are tons which will remain on GB. Thus the ratio of phones getting the latest and greatest Android update to the total number of phones Samsung launches is pretty low.

What works for Android in such cases is dev support. Moto Defy is probably the best example of the lot - despite being stuck on Froyo officially, does run JB, all thanks to the CM Team.
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:46   #12071
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone facing issue with GPS lock on Google Maps on Galaxy Nexu i9250 after recent update to 6.2 version and found possible solution to it ?
I used "GPS test" to verify that the GPS lock happens in seconds on the phone but with google maps i am facing issues :(
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:22   #12072
BHPian
 
flyingkolors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash

Although ur argument is valid. I would say it is flawed. Nowdays people are skeptical about buying a brand which would not get faster updates. LG lost a good market because they were not rolling out frequent updates. In fact i have seen most of my colleagues go for the Nexus series, although it has no warranty in india. They are sure they will get the latest updates. Agreed that the less knowledgeable would not know about updates.

Samsung is good when it comes to updates.even recently they released a minor update for the galaxy Y.
Exactly. Not even Samsung. All these manufacturers suck when it comes to updates. Be it LG or HTC or Motorola or Samsung. They just don't update.

Nexus is the best way to get the latest Android updates. I heard LG nexus is being launched in India unlike the Samsung galaxy nexus. It would be a very good buy IMO
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:32   #12073
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,412
Thanked: 1,675 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

i am waiting for the rumoured Nexus-Samsung tab. I have called dibs in the local store for the first piece. The reason, have best of both worlds where device is samsung while i get google android untouched(hopefully)
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:43   #12074
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
....i do not see why Samsung is delaying this JB launch.

The custom developers are able to atleast port the JB hence CM or MIUI are better options compared to samsung.

Samsung is very bad when it comes to updates. Their need to coat the google android stock always takes forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Exactly. Not even Samsung. All these manufacturers suck when it comes to updates. Be it LG or HTC or Motorola or Samsung. They just don't update.

Nexus is the best way to get the latest Android updates. I heard LG nexus is being launched in India unlike the Samsung galaxy nexus. It would be a very good buy IMO
Guys, the reason why all manufacturers are slow in releasing the update vis-a-vis Nexus is purely UI/skin related.

Most of their effort goes in updating their stupid interfaces, testing it and then fine tuning. Nexus is pure Android and doesnt have to bother with these things. Same goes for custom ROM developers. They have access to AOSP (its open source after all) and their dev team ain't busy in identifying what all bloatware to load. On the contrary, they are out there to remove all the slack and introduce a lean ROM.

My take on Android is simple - don't buy a phone looking at the track record of the manufacturer in releasing updates ASAP. Instead, go for a phone which has a great dev community support. Trust me, you'll be better off than the masses. Best case example is of course Moto Defy!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:49   #12075
BHPian
 
flyingkolors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
My take on Android is simple - don't buy a phone looking at the track record of the manufacturer in releasing updates ASAP. Instead, go for a phone which has a great dev community support. Trust me, you'll be better off than the masses. Best case example is of course Moto Defy!
Can't agree more. Currently running 4.1.2 on my 2.5yr old HTC Desire ;-)
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks