Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd November 2012, 18:42   #12241
BHPian

Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Really confused between the Note 2 and Moto Razr Maxx HD (an unlocked Verizon that I need to source from the USA).

Can someone help me decide please?

Note 2:
- I like, because it's available locally and warranty won't be an issue.
- I like, because it would serve as a mini tablet that I need to read.
- I like, because it's got a huge battery pack that's replacable during those 2 day trips.
- I dont like, because it's Korean. Personal mindset. No offence.
- I dont like, because I may get taunted by a few for the size.
I am upgrading from an HTC Radar / Nokia E63 pair that I use and would prefer to upgrade to one single device instead of carrying both around.
Quagmire: The new Titianium Grey Note II is here charging by my side while I back stuff from the old phones to transfer to the Note 2.

I had a "fool" taunt me already rushing to my desk asking, "Woah!!! Is that the iPad Mini? Lemme see..Lemme see!". I almost buried my boots in his mouth.

But so far, it's a breeze to multitask although I may have not utilized its 2gb RAM and quad-core to the fullest.

Would have been nice if the rains continued through the weekend while I explore the Note 2 more. The flip cover is yet to come btw.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 21:31   #12242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
I think a very important feature omission makes LG Nexus 4 non-future proof is no 4G(LTE) support. Since deployments already started in various part across the globe and 4G broadband spectrum auction already completed in India, I believe we are not quite far from having 4G services here. It would make sense to have 4G particularity when we know that services will start within the span of 1-2 years from now. Since computing power is already at par on this phone, It would have made deal very attractive if included 4G in nexus 4.

Regards
SE
A nexus phone may never get LTE. This is because Google wants to create devices which work across the world seamlessly. LTE is not standard like 3G is. Even in US, they have to manufacture 3 different versions of the phone to support all LTE bands and they *have to* work with carriers to support LTE. They don't want to bow down to carriers. They tied up with Verizon in US for Galaxy Nexus LTE but it was a sales dud. Also, Verizon took more than 3 months to roll down updates every time, which Google doesn't like.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:35   #12243
Senior - BHPian

Got my Nexus 7 tablet today.

This is the first thing I am currently doing before doing any setup.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20121102_222459.jpg

This is because I had a bit of a struggle to root my Galaxy Nexus after I started using it without unlocking the boot-loader. Now I am free to root it anytime!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:16   #12244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Wouldn't that be shooting themselves on their own foot. Since the Nexus 4 is (or soon) available world over in unlocked form, getting one from anywhere outside would not be a bother. Plus with LG not really having a good mind presence in India, launching the Nexus at similar price points would help it gain some market share especially luring people away from SG3 Note or even HTC One X. They can surely showcase the best hardware coupled with jelly bean and earn brownie points laying the platform for their future releases.
If they become too greedy and launch it close to 30k mark, they will commit the same mistake as Nokia did in India earlier - promoting the grey market. At 24-27k band, they will attract a lot of users for whom warranty is a greater peace of mind than saving 3-4k.

There are so many users (on this forum itself), who have chosen NOT to go for GNex purely due to lack of warranty. Think about it - if you are a true user, you buy an Android to play around, root, install custom ROMs etc. But anything can go wrong and that's where warranty plays a big role.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:18   #12245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
If they become too greedy and launch it close to 30k mark, they will commit the same mistake as Nokia did in India earlier - promoting the grey market. At 24-27k band, they will attract a lot of users for whom warranty is a greater peace of mind than saving 3-4k.

There are so many users (on this forum itself), who have chosen NOT to go for GNex purely due to lack of warranty. Think about it - if you are a true user, you buy an Android to play around, root, install custom ROMs etc. But anything can go wrong and that's where warranty plays a big role.
On the contrary, you cannot go ahead and claim warranty saying that the device is bricked while you tried to root or install a custom firmware.

I have two nexus devices (galaxy nexus and now nexus 7) now which are not sold in India, I don't have any warranty and I bought them especially to play around with modding.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd November 2012 at 10:19.
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:31   #12246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

On the contrary, you cannot go ahead and claim warranty saying that the device is bricked while you tried to root or install a custom firmware.

I have two nexus devices (galaxy nexus and now nexus 7) now which are not sold in India, I don't have any warranty and I bought them especially to play around with modding.
Err have you heard of un rooting? I have successfully claimed warranty twice on Galaxy Ace which was obviously rooted and ran a custom firmware every two weeks.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm on Nexus for modding, not everyone prefers to play around with non-warranty devices. There are experienced users on this forum itself who have stayed away from Nexus purely for this reason, despite it offering a goldmine of opportunities, given the pure Android os
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:30   #12247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err have you heard of un rooting? I have successfully claimed warranty twice on Galaxy Ace which was obviously rooted and ran a custom firmware every two weeks.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm on Nexus for modding, not everyone prefers to play around with non-warranty devices. There are experienced users on this forum itself who have stayed away from Nexus purely for this reason, despite it offering a goldmine of opportunities, given the pure Android os
I very well know about un-rooting, RUUs and such. I consider myself an experienced android user. Warranty for me is no such big thing; you just get cover for sometime, and after that all are the same. I don't even have service support here in India for my devices but these are devices not made to go faulty just like that. But there is a risk and it is well taken for the money savings and the fun of using these devices.

Nexuses with jb are smooth. Way smoother and faster than many devices out there. I tested an s3 with ics and it is definitely having slower transitions than my phone. Even note 2, which is claimed to be super fast and smooth by many users, isn't any better in UI smoothness compared to this.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd November 2012 at 15:39.
Old 4th November 2012, 02:04   #12248
BHPian

Ok guys I know I've asked a lot of questions. But tomorrow (
i.e today ) finally Im getting a new phone because my BB seems to have given up on me.

I have finalized the Xperia Tipo. Budget is about 10k.
I pretty much like the phone but I've read that it faces issues like MicroSD card not getting recognized, high SAR value and poor call quality.
Can anyone help me with this? Except the SAR value can the other issues be solved?
My other option is the Galaxy Ace. Its a bit old phone but is it worth buying it now?
Please reply as I need to get the new phone in the morning itself.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 02:23   #12249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
i.e today ) finally Im getting a new phone because my BB seems to have given up on me.

I pretty much like the phone but I've read that it faces issues like MicroSD card not getting recognized, high SAR value and poor call quality.
Can anyone help me with this? Except the SAR value can the other issues be solved?
My other option is the Galaxy Ace. Its a bit old phone but is it worth buying it now?
Dont want to confuse you. But why dont you check out the nokia lumia 510 its within your budget or else the 610 which is slightly more expensive at around 12k. I find them both great value for money phones. The ace has been around since a while and looks a bit dated (thats what i feel).
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 02:33   #12250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard

Micromax A90/100/110 or Motorola Defy Plus?
Old 4th November 2012, 02:48   #12251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Dont want to confuse you. But why dont you check out the nokia lumia 510 its within your budget or else the 610 which is slightly more expensive at around 12k. I find them both great value for money phones. The ace has been around since a while and looks a bit dated (thats what i feel).
Yeah I checked out the Lumia series but I want an android this time.

Quote:
Micromax A90/100/110 or Motorola Defy Plus?
I really like the A110. But I'm not really sure of Micromax phones' reliability.
That's why I decided to play safe and shortlisted the Desire C but found it a bit sluggish, Galaxy Ace which is a bit dated and only 258 MB RAM ? I checked out the Tipo at croma about 5-6 times and I think it suits my requirements. Was just worried about these issues after reading some reviews online.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:56   #12252
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, need some inputs for two android phones. Both are for senior citizens and they need something reliable and stable right out of the box. Forget rooting and custom ROMs, if they even download apps from Play Store, I'll be surprised.

So the first one is to be around ~20k mark and I told him HTC Desire X. It checks all the right boxes and HTC Sense is way better than TouchWiz of Galaxy Advance. I was very keen on suggesting Atrix 2 but non-clarity of Moto's service/support is holding me back.

Any other choices here?

The second phone is ~10-15k range and I suggested Desire C. Sony Tipo was not shortlisted because of a very small screen. Anything else in this range?

Strangely, I also thought of Micromax but was never able to see a phone in person here. Also, it seems ALL their models are dual sim ones? And can someone please tell me the real difference(s) between A90/90S/100/110 etc? And any real life user experiences shall be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 4th November 2012 at 11:02.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:36   #12253
BHPian

Guys I'm planning to switch to a nexus 4 from S3.There are only two concerns

1.My S3 also serves as my primary music player.Can the Nexus 4 match up to the S3 in terms of music clarity??
2.Is there the possibility of a 32GB version getting launched??

Regards
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 12:05   #12254
BHPian

Quote:

The second phone is ~10-15k range and I suggested Desire C. Sony Tipo was not shortlisted because of a very small screen. Anything else in this range?

Strangely, I also thought of Micromax but was never able to see a phone in person here. Also, it seems ALL their models are dual sim ones? And can someone please tell me the real difference(s) between A90/90S/100/110 etc? And any real life user experiences shall be greatly appreciated!
Got the Tipo just now. The Desire C is sluggish when compared to the Tipo. You'll notice lag when surfing through the menus and stuff. Tipo screen size is 3.2 whereas Desire C is 3.5

The Micromax A100 is completely discontinued and the A110 is its replacement.
Yes all MMX phones are dual sim. Even I wanted to buy the a110 but never saw it in flesh, and I was not sure if the phone would be reliable or not.

Btw the Croma sales lady was hilarious. She said buy the HTC explorer because it is a latest launch and performs better than the Tipo. When I enquired about the A110, she said it is already discontinued because of too many problems, whereas the Croma site shows it as available
Old 4th November 2012, 12:35   #12255
BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys, need some inputs for two android phones. Both are for senior citizens and they need something reliable and stable right out of the box. Forget rooting and custom ROMs, if they even download apps from Play Store, I'll be surprised.

Any other choices here?
You could also consider Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, Samsung Galaxy S Duos, Sony Xperia Sola, Sony Xperia Go and HTC Desire V in this price range.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote