Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 14:22   #13336
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

For SG3 users, facing battery issues, I highly recommend rooting your phone and installing the FreeSG3 rom by SONIC. It comes with a Ktoonsez kernel and a dedicated app called KTweaker which is godsend for tweakfreaks. It'll give you all sorts of crazy powers over how much voltage you need to keep your phone running on, overclock, underclock and fast usb charging amongst others. It takes your S3 on a whole new level!

Note: Please make sure the ROM is compatible for your phone model. I am currently running it on my T-Mobile SGH-T999 Galaxy S3.

Sonic FreeGS3 ROM more info Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1748818

Video Review :

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 31st December 2012 at 14:27.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 19:09   #13337
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: Moto Defy+ WajkIUI v2.12.27/28 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The best ROM for Defy just got upgraded. Here is the changelog.
Shouldn't Updater update all this if I'm already running GB based WIUI ROM?

Or the only alternate is to download this and install manually?
fine69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 21:29   #13338
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Micromax A90S GPS and Positioning is useless. I use Google Latitude to see where my fiancee has reached and the phone never ever refreshes or shows correct location. Terrible Lag / Delay.

Apps2SD doesnt work too well and not all apps get stored onto the SD Card. Performance is already sluggish within 10 days. Camera Quality is not even close to other 5MP phone cams whereas they state that its an 8MP (which was anyways expected)

I would expect the Samsung S Duos to be better than this (because its a Samsung)
and getting that for 15k as compared to 13k for the A90S.

Will update more in days to come.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 23:28   #13339
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Shouldn't Updater update all this if I'm already running GB based WIUI ROM?

Or the only alternate is to download this and install manually?
No the updater doesn't work. I think it's got something to do with Xiomi account. Or maybe it's just an unattended bug.

It's best to just place the ROM in your SD card and flash. It's a 10 min job anyway.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 12:10   #13340
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any good Android between 10k to 15k Max. The phone will be for my wife as her current phone (Non Android) has started behaving weirdly.

Usage pattern in a day

1. 20-25 minutes calling
2. 4-5 messages
3. Clicking snaps (A good Camera)
4. Whats app
5. FB
6. Some Games - occasionally

I have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy S duos which retails now at 14900/- with price reduction (also it will be getting JB update as per Samsung).

My sister is using the same cell from past two months and she is very much happy with it.

Any other options - I am open to Sony and HTC (No Windows phone as I am using one and she finds is difficult to operate)

Will be buying it tonight

Last edited by driving_smartly : 1st January 2013 at 12:14.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 13:41   #13341
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,952
Thanked: 2,193 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Any good Android between 10k to 15k Max. The phone will be for my wife as her current phone (Non Android) has started behaving weirdly.

Usage pattern in a day

1. 20-25 minutes calling
2. 4-5 messages
3. Clicking snaps (A good Camera)
4. Whats app
5. FB
6. Some Games - occasionally

I have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy S duos which retails now at 14900/- with price reduction (also it will be getting JB update as per Samsung).

My sister is using the same cell from past two months and she is very much happy with it.

Any other options - I am open to Sony and HTC (No Windows phone as I am using one and she finds is difficult to operate)

Will be buying it tonight
Also consider Sony Xperia U and HTC One V.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 13:49   #13342
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,899
Thanked: 3,777 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Any good Android between 10k to 15k Max.
I recently handled a Micromax A110 for a day ( http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/...superfone/a110 ) and being a Samsung Note II owner was highly skeptical of the brand. But at just 9990/- on street price for a 5" phone, I came out pleasantly surprised with this offering. It is a tremendous VFM offering with a quite good build quality for the price. If you can live with a jutting camera then you should also give this product a look.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 15:01   #13343
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 274
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I recently handled a Micromax A110 for a day ( http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/...superfone/a110 ) and being a Samsung Note II owner was highly skeptical of the brand. But at just 9990/- on street price for a 5" phone, I came out pleasantly surprised with this offering. It is a tremendous VFM offering with a quite good build quality for the price. If you can live with a jutting camera then you should also give this product a look.
I can vouch for MMX A110, but I will not recommend the same in this case as 5 in form factor will (generally) not suit ladies as they have smaller hands. This is my opinion. If she is not brand conscious, then Micromax A68 Smarty can be considered as it is smaller version of A110 with almost identical specs but a more convinient 4in size (~ Rs 6,500/-).
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 17:47   #13344
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 179
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My Tipo has an internal memory of 754 mb and I've used only 329 mb. Then why is it showing so less free memory?
Hi Strange Wizard, i am a Tipo owner too the phone will start hanging if you will fill phone memory above 200 mb(from personal experience). Just move all the stuff to internal memory although it will increase the boot time.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 18:22   #13345
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Also consider Sony Xperia U and HTC One V.
Thanks bluevolt

Had a look at Xperia U but Memory Limitation and also the fact it wont be upgraded to JB

http://mobigyaan.com/sony-details-an...xperia-devices

HTC One V looks good but out of budget as i have already stretched my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I recently handled a Micromax A110 for a day ( http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/...superfone/a110 ) and being a Samsung Note II owner was highly skeptical of the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
If she is not brand conscious, then Micromax A68 Smarty can be considered as it is smaller version of A110 with almost identical specs but a more convenient 4in size (~ Rs 6,500/-).
Thanks
dkaile & aditya101

I had actually planned to buy Micromax A110 for myself as i carry two phones now (one of them is on verge of slow death ), so it would have been easy for me to carry a single phone with dual Sim and give my Samsung Omnia W to wifey, but she was not at all comfortable using a Windows phone. To add fire to the fuel from past 6-7 days her cell phone has started to act weirdly which has left her frustrated all the time. So finally decided to buy her a new cell.

@dkaile
A 5inch would be to big for her hands.
Good camera is a must as she needs to click pictures of our 1 year old daughter.

@aditya101
She is not much brand conscious, but needs a phone that is trouble free and will last for at least 2 years.
I have heard very good reviews about Micromax A110, but have not heard much about A68 Smarty so will stay away from it.

I can experiment using any new handset, when it comes to wife we better don't experiment .

Last edited by driving_smartly : 1st January 2013 at 18:25.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 18:57   #13346
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 738
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
Hi Strange Wizard, i am a Tipo owner too the phone will start hanging if you will fill phone memory above 200 mb(from personal experience). Just move all the stuff to internal memory although it will increase the boot time.
I've used around 350mb and mine doesn't hang.
I moved all movable apps to the internal storage or memory card using app2sd.

I might unlock the bootloader through Sony's website and then flash CM10 4.1 jelly bean rom soon.
I've already rooted the phone and installed cwm recovery.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 23:24   #13347
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 179
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I've used around 350mb and mine doesn't hang.
I moved all movable apps to the internal storage or memory card using app2sd.

I might unlock the bootloader through Sony's website and then flash CM10 4.1 jelly bean rom soon.
I've already rooted the phone and installed cwm recovery.
Also Sony PC Companion is also saved in phone memory itself so that might be eating up some space.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:29   #13348
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 717
Thanked: 540 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

This is the typical battery usage on my MMX A90S. Includes,
1. Couple of hours gaming (Hill Climb). Low brightness
2. 30 mins browsing+download.
3. 10 minute calls.
4. In good range except for couple of hours. Cell radio says 4% without signal.

My question is that cell radio(standby) consumes 46% of power. Is this normal?
Attached Images
 
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:02   #13349
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,251
Thanked: 14,011 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
then Micromax A68 Smarty can be considered as it is smaller version of A110 with almost identical specs but a more convinient 4in size (~ Rs 6,500/-).
It has no 3G, or else it would have been a fantastic offer.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:06   #13350
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 686
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Any good Android between 10k to 15k Max. The phone will be for my wife as her current phone (Non Android) has started behaving weirdly.

Usage pattern in a day

1. 20-25 minutes calling
2. 4-5 messages
3. Clicking snaps (A good Camera)
4. Whats app
5. FB
6. Some Games - occasionally

I have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy S duos which retails now at 14900/- with price reduction (also it will be getting JB update as per Samsung).

My sister is using the same cell from past two months and she is very much happy with it.

Any other options - I am open to Sony and HTC (No Windows phone as I am using one and she finds is difficult to operate)

Will be buying it tonight
If you are yet to make your purchase, you can consider Lenovo S560. This will cost you ~13K and worth for the price. The only feature missing is LED flash for the camera.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks