Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 13:21   #13816
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Um... this should look refreshing then. 42% battery after 22hours.

Attachment 1050494
This is impressive. How is the data usage? You enable it only when required?
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 13:22   #13817
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,156
Thanked: 13,750 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
This is impressive. How is the data usage? You enable it only when required?
No, 3G is always on.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 13:36   #13818
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, 3G is always on.
I was wondering because, there is no data logo shown in the screenshot
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 14:36   #13819
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yes of course. Low asu means low signal level from cell tower and hence phone has to transmit in a higher power state which means higher battery drain. Is it always locking to the max of 19 asu? I had that issue before but with the JB leak, my signal strength is most of the time around 24-25 asu. Between, 16-19asu seems like good signal strength if not the best.
But what can I do here? I mean its not in my control if cell towers/coverage in my area ain't good no? I don't think ROM plays a role here per se.

Infact even on 2G/EDGE I get 16-20 asu. Now don't ask me to shift residence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I was wondering because, there is no data logo shown in the screenshot
Same question that I have!

More so, because I tried 1 full day with background data off and didn't see any noticeable difference with 3G on full time and all other usage constant. FYI, we are both on the same ROM.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 13th February 2013 at 14:38.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 15:46   #13820
Senior - BHPian
 
Maverick5490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 591 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Same here. I don't find any difference till now though. Was really hoping for the 4.1. Any idea on when it might come out? We did hear some rumors.

Hi, I updated my S3 to 4.1.2 recently and the now the multi window function option is added to it!
Maverick5490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 15:52   #13821
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,156
Thanked: 13,750 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I was wondering because, there is no data logo shown in the screenshot
If I don't use data for a while, my data logo goes off automatically. After that I have to turn off data and turn it back on again from the toggle. Not sure whether it is a standard feature, but I am not complaining.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 15:55   #13822
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But what can I do here? I mean its not in my control if cell towers/coverage in my area ain't good no? I don't think ROM plays a role here per se.
Infact even on 2G/EDGE I get 16-20 asu. Now don't ask me to shift residence!
.
. No I won't dare asking you change residence. What I was mentioning was, signal strength topping off at 19asu was an issue with Moto GB & ICS ROMs of Atrix 2. But with the JB leak, now the limitation is gone and phone goes well over 19asu. I've seen 27asu. I am not sure of why this was done, may be for compliance with SAR regulations.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 15:57   #13823
BHPian
 
akhil_rpmlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: KL-01
Posts: 125
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anybody here got Xperia Z from abroad, or any of your friends ?

Btw,S3 users, can you please tell me how is average battery life on the S3 under the following conditions :

1. 2G, GPRS enabled and browsing continuously .
2. 3G, data enabled and browsing continuously.
3. 3G network with data enabled, but phone in standby mode.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:08   #13824
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If I don't use data for a while, my data logo goes off automatically. After that I have to turn off data and turn it back on again from the toggle. Not sure whether it is a standard feature, but I am not complaining.
I don't think this is a feature. May be a blessing in disguise However, I have seen this with my Defy on older WajKIUI versions, not any more. I think this is the reason of high battery life for you.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:14   #13825
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If I don't use data for a while, my data logo goes off automatically. After that I have to turn off data and turn it back on again from the toggle. Not sure whether it is a standard feature, but I am not complaining.
It happens when you use Juice Defender/Battery Saver type of apps. Definitely not a standard feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
. No I won't dare asking you change residence. What I was mentioning was, signal strength topping off at 19asu was an issue with Moto GB & ICS ROMs of Atrix 2. But with the JB leak, now the limitation is gone and phone goes well over 19asu. I've seen 27asu. I am not sure of why this was done, may be for compliance with SAR regulations.
But then I'm on WajkIUI GB so ideally this 'limitation' should have been taken care of na?

I'll check signal strength when I'm in other parts of city to figure out the real culprit. I can understand 3G being the issue but I thought EDGE network was pretty well farmed out throughout Mumbai.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:15   #13826
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Anybody here got Xperia Z from abroad, or any of your friends ?

Btw,S3 users, can you please tell me how is average battery life on the S3 under the following conditions :

1. 2G, GPRS enabled and browsing continuously .
2. 3G, data enabled and browsing continuously.
3. 3G network with data enabled, but phone in standby mode.
Battery drain as quoted by an S3 owner from workplace.

1. 2G, GPRS enabled and browsing continuously - No idea
2. 3G, data enabled and browsing continuously - 15-18% per hour
3. 3G network with data enabled, but phone in standby mode - 3-3.5% per hour

I think browsing continuously results are mainly due to Screen ON battery drain. Result #3 is with Sync ON for office mail & Gmail. He's on BSNL 3G network in Kochi, KE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
It happens when you use Juice Defender/Battery Saver type of apps. Definitely not a standard feature!


But then I'm on WajkIUI GB so ideally this 'limitation' should have been taken care of na?

I'll check signal strength when I'm in other parts of city to figure out the real culprit. I can understand 3G being the issue but I thought EDGE network was pretty well farmed out throughout Mumbai.
Oh sorry sorry friend. I was talking about the signal capping issue of Atrix 2. Not Defy. Really sorry for that. I haven't faced any such signal capping on my Defy



Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th February 2013 at 19:38. Reason: See note in post
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:24   #13827
BHPian
 
akhil_rpmlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: KL-01
Posts: 125
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Battery drain as quoted by an S3 owner from workplace.

1. 2G, GPRS enabled and browsing continuously - No idea
2. 3G, data enabled and browsing continuously - 15-18% per hour
3. 3G network with data enabled, but phone in standby mode - 3-3.5% per hour

I think browsing continuously results are mainly due to Screen ON battery drain. Result #3 is with Sync ON for office mail & Gmail. He's on BSNL 3G network in Kochi, KE.
Thanks a lot maniac bro. Just 3-3.5% with 3g data enabled and sync ON ? So, it will last 12+h with data ON? My Galaxy SL just dies in like 5h max. Even if we browse continuously, it will last for 5h eh? Seems, S3 has much better battery than I thought.

What if we are not enabling data and watching videos/movies continuously?

One more doubt. Is overnight charging very bad for the battery? I mean, are there phones which will automatically cut the charging when 100% charge is attained, and will return charging again when it lowers to a particular level, like 90% or so ?

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 13th February 2013 at 16:26.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:34   #13828
BHPian
 
D4d-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Patiala
Posts: 68
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But what can I do here? I mean its not in my control if cell towers/coverage in my area ain't good no? I don't think ROM plays a role here per se.

Infact even on 2G/EDGE I get 16-20 asu. Now don't ask me to shift residence!
You could flash some other modem version. Did this on my s2. Signal strength went up from 12 asu to 22 asu
D4d-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:38   #13829
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Thanks a lot maniac bro. Just 3-3.5% with 3g data enabled and sync ON ? So, it will last 12+h with data ON? My Galaxy SL just dies in like 5h max. Even if we browse continuously, it will last for 5h eh? Seems, S3 has much better battery than I thought.

What if we are not enabling data and watching videos/movies continuously?

One more doubt. Is overnight charging very bad for the battery? I mean, are there phones which will automatically cut the charging when 100% charge is attained, and will return charging again when it lowers to a particular level, like 90% or so ?
5h How can you live with such horrible battery life? I strongly believe there is some issues with your SL then. Regarding movie only time, he's not sure of it. He never watches movies on his phone is what he said. From the web browsing results, I think 4-5 hrs of movie play back should be possible provided all other services are switched off. On a side note, my Note 2 drains only around 2-2.2% per hour with 3G data ON and Sync ON

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 13th February 2013 at 16:40.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:45   #13830
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any GNex users got the 4.2.2 update?
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks