Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:54   #14206
Senior - BHPian
 
shamik.bose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have recently shifted to a Note N7100 and it's running Android 4.1.2. Few questions:
1. There is a noticeable flicker on the screen (like single white lines) while playing Subway Surfers. App error or device problem?
2. Quite often, if the phone is in ringing mode and I make a call, it automatically goes to Vibrate mode. Any suggestions?

P.S. Some nice app suggestions are also very welcome. Still getting my bearings about this phone.
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:20   #14207
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 504
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
What do you think about the Sony Xperia Z - It appeals to me because of its robust nature.

In fact, I'd like any waterproof phone.

I had opened the defy the other day to see a nice rubber 'o' ring sitting between the top and bottom layers

I hope thats not the END of the waterproof!

IMO, all phones by default should be waterproof and shockproof.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:26   #14208
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
I have recently shifted to a Note N7100 and it's running Android 4.1.2. Few questions:
1. There is a noticeable flicker on the screen (like single white lines) while playing Subway Surfers. App error or device problem?
2. Quite often, if the phone is in ringing mode and I make a call, it automatically goes to Vibrate mode. Any suggestions?

P.S. Some nice app suggestions are also very welcome. Still getting my bearings about this phone.
1. Check / play with your screen settings to get the best performance, if rooted. Also depends on the ROM one is using.

2. You may be unknowingly pressing the volume rocker button while talking which makes the phone go into silent mode at zero volume - It may just be an accidental issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I hope thats not the END of the waterproof!

IMO, all phones by default should be waterproof and shockproof.
Unfortunately, the market is different - I still think one of the better phones I had was a Nokia 6210. A small handy phone that one could use to talk for hours non stop

The modern day gadgets give us much more than a phone, especially in the android world!

And it is an irreversible process!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:54   #14209
Senior - BHPian
 
shamik.bose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
1. Check / play with your screen settings to get the best performance, if rooted. Also depends on the ROM one is using.

2. You may be unknowingly pressing the volume rocker button while talking which makes the phone go into silent mode at zero volume - It may just be an accidental issue
1. It's not rooted. Using the default ROM
2. It's going into vibrate mode. And it's not an accidental issue. Has happened on a few occasions now.
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 09:13   #14210
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Anybody who has updated Whatsapp to the latest version noticed that it has become considerably sluggish? Or is it just my phone? Asked couple friends but they no... but they have high end quad cores, so maybe thats why they haven't noticed.
Yeah man. For phones on 1 ghz processor and lower RAM, the Holo theme makeover of Whatsapp was terribly slow and sluggish. I suffered for exactly 3 days and with great trouble, finally located an old APK and restored it back to the previous version. Back to good old days now.

FYI search for version ending with 1547 if you want to revert. But do remember to take a backup of your chats and data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

What do you think about the Sony Xperia Z - It appeals to me because of its robust nature.

I had opened the defy the other day to see a nice rubber 'o' ring sitting between the top and bottom layers
Yeah Xperia z is quite robust and sui is its price. 3x that of defy is by no means a replacement man!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 09:53   #14211
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,160
Thanked: 5,952 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
I have recently shifted to a Note N7100 and it's running Android 4.1.2. Few questions:
1. There is a noticeable flicker on the screen (like single white lines) while playing Subway Surfers. App error or device problem?
Is the flicker in the sky area above the trains? If yes, its an app problem.
Yesterday I saw that there is an update available in playstore fixing this issue.
I didn't have this issue so didn't update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
2. Quite often, if the phone is in ringing mode and I make a call, it automatically goes to Vibrate mode. Any suggestions?
I faced this in my Note N7000 when it was running ICS. Now after the JB update its not happening.
Earlier I found that it used to happen when:

1. you switch to silent mode
2. you recieve or make a call in silent mode
3. you switch to sound mode
4. you call anyone and it automatically switches to vibration mode.

Exception: If event #2 doesn't happen and event #3 happens, event #4 (the issue) will not occur

just check if Note2 has any stability update or anything or else restart is the only option I know of.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd March 2013 at 09:55.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:06   #14212
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,315 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yeah Xperia z is quite robust and sui is its price. 3x that of defy is by no means a replacement man!
Exactly, when we say Defy replacement, we mean in the same budget, at least within 20K.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:29   #14213
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Exactly, when we say Defy replacement, we mean in the same budget, at least within 20K.
What happened to xperia argo S (Water, dust, shock proof ) or something. Not remembering the exact model name now, but it had dual core, 4" wvga with mali400 gpu & I think that was 22k when launched.

BTW, I think companies are getting a lesson from Defy, that if they make a good phone, price it sensible, people won't buy another one for years. Resulting in profit loss to newer releases. (May be Iam wrong)
Unlike other phones which we tend to replace every 1-2 years.

BTW, my Defy will also complete 2 years this April & have placed the order for Canvas HD, which apparently have more waiting period than a car. :(
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:34   #14214
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 412
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Exactly, when we say Defy replacement, we mean in the same budget, at least within 20K.
How about Xperia Acro S then? LT 26W if I remember correctly. Runs on a Dual core, 1GB RAM, 12MP cam and priced around 21K on eBay (when I checked couple weeks back) For me, it seems to be decent upgrade to Defy in terms of water proofing and built quality. 720p screen, dual core and 12MP in addition to the Defy robustness

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 22nd March 2013 at 14:36.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:27   #14215
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,315 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
How about Xperia Acro S then? LT 26W if I remember correctly. Runs on a Dual core, 1GB RAM, 12MP cam and priced around 21K on eBay (when I checked couple weeks back) For me, it seems to be decent upgrade to Defy in terms of water proofing and built quality. 720p screen, dual core and 12MP in addition to the Defy robustness
Is it sold in India? Sony India site is silent about it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:39   #14216
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 901 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is it sold in India? Sony India site is silent about it.
No it isn't. Just on eBay and imported probably with a pathetic sellers warranty.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:45   #14217
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 412
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is it sold in India? Sony India site is silent about it.
It's not officially released in India, but available through online stores. We're having a couple of these in our office which they bought with Seller warranty and are working fine for the past 3-4 months Here's a water test video. Check out for that "video playing in water" part of it. Interesting

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 22nd March 2013 at 15:50.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:05   #14218
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
HTC offers 1 year warranty on accessories. I will be taking the earphones to one of the service centers near my place and then they will courier me the replacement earphones. Will be going tomorrow to the service center.
Got the new earphones via courier.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 03:47   #14219
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yeah man. For phones on 1 ghz processor and lower RAM, the Holo theme makeover of Whatsapp was terribly slow and sluggish. I suffered for exactly 3 days and with great trouble, finally located an old APK and restored it back to the previous version. Back to good old days now.

FYI search for version ending with 1547 if you want to revert. But do remember to take a backup of your chats and data.
Good to hear someone else with the same issue. I was wondering if it was just my phone. Who gives a fig about the stupid Holo theme when the performance is so bad? Was just Googling and people are saying its taking up significantly more RAM and battery too. Are these moron devs at Whatsapp testing their shabby, unoptimized code only on high end devices? And now it seems they expect you to pay for it! Maybe its time to move to other messengers like Kik, etc., which are gaining popularity fast.

Btw, has anybody here from India actually have to pay for Whatsapp?

I think, for sheer lack of time, I'll wait for a couple days for an update. Else I hope to find the version just before the Holo mess and use that. Is the version you mentioned the same as that?

Even before the Holo thingy, WA does take up more ROM and RAM, than what it should. Now its just gone worse.


Btw, in case anybody is interested - Osmos HD is going for 1$ (66% off). One of the best games I'v played. Great music.

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd March 2013 at 03:50.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 04:49   #14220
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Btw, has anybody here from India actually have to pay for Whatsapp?
The funny thing is that I was about to pay for it (expiring in Apr 2013), and without even paining me once, it auto-extended. Good show I say!

First case where I was about to pay for an app and got it free!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks