Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:09   #14221
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default

Guys

Has any one used the go power master app? Any feedbacks?

Am looking at something which can periodically toggle data. This app along with that looks like provides many other services too.

Any users?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:53   #14222
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default Re: Moto Defy+ WajkIUI v2.12.27/28 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The best ROM for Defy just got upgraded. Here is the changelog.

- faster Aroma Installer
- optimized install steps
- optimized Camera settings
- optimized scrolling engine
- updated APN settings
- updated GPS settings
- updated proximity driver
- added Miui Calendar
- added CM7 Calendar
- updated Google Play to 3.10.10

Download link:
http://goo.im/devs/Wajk/Defy%20Plus/...12.28_Plus.zip
How do I update it, would I need to make a backup first? Step by step instructions if you can share, thanks.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:30   #14223
BHPian
 
splitsecond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: calicut
Posts: 83
Thanked: 10 Times
Smile Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys

Has any one used the go power master app? Any feedbacks?

Am looking at something which can periodically toggle data. This app along with that looks like provides many other services too.

Any users?
Haven't used power master app, but "Lama" app can do what you are looking for , i am using it and its super cool. Unlike other apps lama can switch on wifi, data etc depending upon ur location/time or any other rules user creates, possibility is endless. All these location identification is done without draining battery(Tower based). Try it, its the best.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.kebab.Llama
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:57   #14224
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Haven't used power master app, but "Lama" app can do what you are looking for , i am using it and its super cool. Unlike other apps lama can switch on wifi, data etc depending upon ur location/time or any other rules user creates, possibility is endless. All these location identification is done without draining battery(Tower based). Try it, its the best.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.kebab.Llama
I have been using Llama for a long time. But for data toggle on/off I did not see a periodic switch. I need to specifically give in time points, where I need the data to be turned on or off. Hence was looking another app.

What I was looking for is an app which can do periodic turn on/off data (wifi or 3G), let rest of the apps sync-up their requirements and then again turn-off the data. Repeat this operation again. I thought Llama could not do this. (Correct me if I am wrong).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:50   #14225
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I have been using Llama for a long time. But for data toggle on/off I did not see a periodic switch. I need to specifically give in time points, where I need the data to be turned on or off. Hence was looking another app.

What I was looking for is an app which can do periodic turn on/off data (wifi or 3G), let rest of the apps sync-up their requirements and then again turn-off the data. Repeat this operation again. I thought Llama could not do this. (Correct me if I am wrong).
2x battery does this. The free version enables data every 15 minutes to let apps sync, and with paid you can specify interval.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:30   #14226
BHPian
 
splitsecond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: calicut
Posts: 83
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have been using Llama for a long time. But for data toggle on/off I did not see a periodic switch. I need to specifically give in time points, where I need the data to be turned on or off. Hence was looking another app.

What I was looking for is an app which can do periodic turn on/off data (wifi or 3G), let rest of the apps sync-up their requirements and then again turn-off the data. Repeat this operation again. I thought Llama could not do this. (Correct me if I am wrong).
yes it can
This setting will toggles wifi on/off every 15 minutes, but i am not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Event name: Wifi Toggle

Conditions:
1. Phone Reboot (and in that select 'After startup')

Actions:
1. Toggle Wifi off
2. Queue another event 'wifi ON' (delay 15 minute)


Repeat interval set to 30 minutes under "Advanced"
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:33   #14227
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
How do I update it, would I need to make a backup first? Step by step instructions if you can share, thanks.
Detailed instruction in the 1st post of this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1161110

Making a backup is always advisable. I'd recommend Titanium Backup PRO for this. Use SMS Backup and Call Log Backup (both apps by Ritesh Sahu on Play Store). Your contacts and calendar are already backed up in your Google a/c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Btw, has anybody here from India actually have to pay for Whatsapp?
My free subscription was to expire in Feb 2013. Got an automatic 1 year extension by them. I know many people (on BB and Android) who got it this way too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Is the version you mentioned the same as that?
Yes .1547 is the pre-Holo stable version. Switch to that and disable auto update. Life will be normal again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Exactly, when we say Defy replacement, we mean in the same budget, at least within 20K.
Strictly speaking, I can only see Lumia 720 as a pure Defy replacement. I would love if they introduce 1 GB RAM instead of 512 MB though. Everything else is lovely otherwise.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:37   #14228
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Strictly speaking, I can only see Lumia 720 as a pure Defy replacement. I would love if they introduce 1 GB RAM instead of 512 MB though. Everything else is lovely otherwise.
Is the Lumia actually water proof and everything? I didn't read anything about its IP certifications.

That said, there's a whole bunch of cases which make any phone waterproof these days
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:21   #14229
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is the Lumia actually water proof and everything? I didn't read anything about its IP certifications.

That said, there's a whole bunch of cases which make any phone waterproof these days
Honestly I dont see water proof as Defy's USP as well. On the contrary it is tank like build and specs at that price point which I'll say makes it a winner.

Same goes for Lumia.

Water proof cases are available aplenty. Also how many times do we actually use our phones underwater / with wet hands / in rains? I can't recall even ONE occurance!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:53   #14230
BHPian
 
vigneshnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 140
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post


I faced this in my Note N7000 when it was running ICS. Now after the JB update its not happening..
Hi.. How did you update to jb for note? I'm yet to receive any notification. Even there is no news around.
vigneshnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:59   #14231
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Honestly I dont see water proof as Defy's USP as well. On the contrary it is tank like build and specs at that price point which I'll say makes it a winner.
This was a party trick I did when I got the defy first. I dunked it in liquid and had a friend ring me. It rang right in the mug, I pulled it out and answered him. Ofcourse, the screen went wonky a little, but nothing a little rub on a jacket couldn't fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Water proof cases are available aplenty. Also how many times do we actually use our phones underwater / with wet hands / in rains? I can't recall even ONE occurance!
Depends on how outdoorsy a person you are or your use-cases. I do a bit of trekking and I just dont wanna carry a phone wrapped in a little plastic bag all the time in the mountains. So for me, this is a huge plus.

Also applies to people who go long distance cycling/motorbiking, for instance (the number of times I've been caught out wet on a motorbike is a LOT). Or even people who go long distance kayaking - like this dude: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ble-kayak.html (Going solo at 5 kmph - Mumbai to Goa in an inflatable kayak!)

but if you're not any of these, then best save your bucks for other phones with features which might prove more useful for you during your own daily runabout

Last edited by Samurai : 24th March 2013 at 00:43. Reason: Rule# 11
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 00:44   #14232
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

For those interested in Canvas HD:

Got update today that my order of canvas HD is in transit & ETA given is 27 Mar.
Fingers crossed

BTW, also have a look at wammy passion.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 02:47   #14233
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
My free subscription was to expire in Feb 2013. Got an automatic 1 year extension by them. I know many people (on BB and Android) who got it this way too.

Yes .1547 is the pre-Holo stable version. Switch to that and disable auto update. Life will be normal again.

Strictly speaking, I can only see Lumia 720 as a pure Defy replacement. I would love if they introduce 1 GB RAM instead of 512 MB though. Everything else is lovely otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The funny thing is that I was about to pay for it (expiring in Apr 2013), and without even paining me once, it auto-extended. Good show I say!

First case where I was about to pay for an app and got it free!
Same thing happened to me. But I was in no hurry to pay for it... might not have. Then it just got extended by some 3 months or so. Seems they are giving different extension periods for different people? Don't know if they plan to charge for it after that. Not keen on paying for an app that takes up so much RAM and ROM and is sluggish despite that. However, almost all friends are on it, so its going to be tough without it. On the other hand, many may shift elsewhere once they start charging and bloating up the app even more. Maybe thats why they may attempt to start charging in a staggered manner.

One update (Whatsapp) released today. Seems things have become bit faster. But still not like before. Anybody on single core, 512 MB RAM phones noticed any performance changes?

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th March 2013 at 02:53.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 18:06   #14234
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Hi.. How did you update to jb for note? I'm yet to receive any notification. Even there is no news around.
Even I didn't get any notification. When I tried using samsung on the air (OTA) update on wifi, it gave me a message saying "updates will happen in the same sequence as requested in queue" other than the usual message which says "no update available".
then i thought this is the right time to connect to Kies throught the PC, and then I was able to upgrade to JB for Note.

You have to first update Kies to the latest version and then you'll be able to upgrade the firmware.

1. One good thing to JB Note1 is that the camera now has a pause function, so you can record in bits using record/pause exactly what you want and then hit stop which is a seperate button.

2. Also now if you are viewing photos or videos and have not enabled "screen rotation", then you can simply click the new button to view the image horizontally/vertically as you like without having to go and enable "screen rotation"

3. The S-Pen hovering function is there in JB for Note 1 but the Airview function available in Note2 is still not happening. (ie., when you hover the S-Pen over messages or gallery, the airview in Note2 will enable you to see the message, photo etc without touching the screen, I guess the applications in Note1 will need to be updated by Samsung to be receptive to the hover functionality of the S-Pen and accordingly popup the visuals ).

4. The Torch widget is no longer the same as in ICS. In ICS it used to have 3 steps in brightness, here it is called as "Assistive Light" with just one big button and toggle on and off. So ICS is better here.

5. There is more granularity in the options to conserve power now in JB Note1, The power saving mode has CPU power saving, Screen power saving, background color change while browsing etc to choose from to enable the battery to last longer. Also settings is easily accessible and so are many other buttons like Mobile data, blocking mode, multi window in the pull down menu at the top. Battery life is pretty much same as ICS, I don't use Google now though.

6. I'm yet to see any real use for Multi-window although the feature is available in JB Note now. i've kept this feature OFF.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th March 2013 at 18:16.
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 18:39   #14235
BHPian
 
Binzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kochi/Trivandrum
Posts: 66
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

3. The S-Pen hovering function is there in JB for Note 1 but the Airview function available in Note2 is still not happening. (ie., when you hover the S-Pen over messages or gallery, the airview in Note2 will enable you to see the message, photo etc without touching the screen, I guess the applications in Note1 will need to be updated by Samsung to be receptive to the hover functionality of the S-Pen and accordingly popup the visuals ).
I am not sure, but I think note 2 has something additional on the touch layer that supports this, whereas note 1 doesn't.
Binzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks