Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 10:29   #14446
BHPian
 
nipcarlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sheffield/A'bad
Posts: 428
Thanked: 307 Times
Default

Galaxy Nexus users over here, one question.
What kernel do you recommend to improve the performance of the phone and the screen temperature and color?
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:35   #14447
BHPian
 
sajusherief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Root on Nexus 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any members here, who have rooted their nexus 4? Please advise.
Pls check XDA-Developers website, there are n number of ways to do this,
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:53   #14448
BHPian
 
skumare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

45 chinese mobile makers establishing common service centers in India - good for the customer I guess. Link
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:07   #14449
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Google wants to take over whatsapp

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ion-claim.html
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:21   #14450
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any Xperia Z or ZL users here? ZL is listed with a slightly lower price than Z, in ebay. Just wanted to know what is the major difference between these models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
The major difference between the two is that the Z is water and dust proof and the ZL is not. Also, the Z has a glass back and the ZL has a plastic back.
Hope that helps.
I have heard several reports of the Z getting heated up even with a 5 minute phone call. The slim dimensions with a completely sealed unit does not help heat dissipation.
I always fear that a hot mobile may explode one day.

Don't know if ZL also heats up.

Edit: I also suggest check how easy it is to replace the battery on these phones which will not last more than 2 years, since you will charge the phone everyday.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:25   #14451
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
The major difference between the two is that the Z is water and dust proof and the ZL is not. Also, the Z has a glass back and the ZL has a plastic back.
Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have heard several reports of the Z getting heated up even with a 5 minute phone call. The slim dimensions with a completely sealed unit does not help heat dissipation.
I always fear that a hot mobile may explode one day.

Don't know if ZL also heats up.

Edit: I also suggest check how easy it is to replace the battery on these phones which will not last more than 2 years, since you will charge the phone everyday.
Thanks guys! I've decided against the Z.
2 years is bit too early for the battery to go bad, right? I have an HTC Desire which is like 3 years old, the battery still is in good contition. It has lost 10-12% of its capacity though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Galaxy Nexus users over here, one question.
What kernel do you recommend to improve the performance of the phone and the screen temperature and color?
I've been using Franco kernel and it really eases up the display. The moment you reboot after flashing this kernel, you notice that the green tint of AMOLED has gone! It improves performance and battery usage too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hope it happens, I also had given a link here yesterday.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th April 2013 at 14:53.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:28   #14452
BHPian
 
nipcarlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sheffield/A'bad
Posts: 428
Thanked: 307 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post


I've been using Franco kernel and it really eases up the display. The moment you reboot after flashing this kernel, you notice that the green tint of AMOLED has gone! It improves performance and battery usage too.
Thanks man, have you tried Trinity kernel? I have heard good things about it as well.
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:57   #14453
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Thanks man, have you tried Trinity kernel? I have heard good things about it as well.
I haven't tried it yet. My Galaxy Nexus got hard bricked while it was on franco (Dont know the role of the kernel here, which I believe is nil) so didn't get a chance to try it out. While it got bricked, I was running the phone @ 1.6GHz.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th April 2013 at 14:58.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 15:05   #14454
BHPian
 
nipcarlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sheffield/A'bad
Posts: 428
Thanked: 307 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

I haven't tried it yet. My Galaxy Nexus got hard bricked while it was on franco (Dont know the role of the kernel here, which I believe is nil) so didn't get a chance to try it out. While it got bricked, I was running the phone @ 1.6GHz.
Damn, hard bricks are very rare on Nexus devices, what are you using now?
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 16:08   #14455
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Damn, hard bricks are very rare on Nexus devices, what are you using now?
I am using a phone which gives me 5 days of battery backup! The Nokia 100!

This is just a spare phone which I am using for the past two months. No data, just voice and sms. I can live without a smartphone - hence proved!


If your phone gets stuck and is not recovering from it, do not ever long-press the power button hoping that it would turn itself off. Instead, just pull the battery. I did long-press the power button, the area around the button got heated up and after the next battery pull, it never turned on again. This is specific to Galaxy Nexus. I know some other phones can turn themselves off from an unresponsive state by a long-press of the power button.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th April 2013 at 16:11.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 16:43   #14456
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@clevermax: It might be possible to get the Nexus repaired. You will need to find a mobile repair shop who does component level repairs. Please try that before you mark this as "expensive paperweight".
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 18:06   #14457
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

If your phone gets stuck and is not recovering from it, do not ever long-press the power button hoping that it would turn itself off. Instead, just pull the battery. I did long-press the power button, the area around the button got heated up and after the next battery pull, it never turned on again. This is specific to Galaxy Nexus. I know some other phones can turn themselves off from an unresponsive state by a long-press of the power button.
so clevermax how does it work for phones that have no removable battery like the iphones or XZ or HTC One ?
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 19:32   #14458
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
so clevermax how does it work for phones that have no removable battery like the iphones or XZ or HTC One ?
That is a very interesting question.
I am curious to know the answer as well. Perhaps those phones never face this problem?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 19:50   #14459
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,912
Thanked: 1,813 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Samsung Galaxy S4 to be available from April 27 for less than Rs 40,000 as per the below report. I highly doubt it !

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones...s-40000/870130
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 20:09   #14460
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
so clevermax how does it work for phones that have no removable battery like the iphones or XZ or HTC One ?
There should be a hard reset button somewhere for that purpose..will have to check phone specific in XDA
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks