Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 20:42   #14461
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Hope it happens, I also had given a link here yesterday.
Not happening. http://allthingsd.com/20130408/whats...ing-to-google/

Actually Google is building it's own unified messaging service that will unify Google Talk, Voice, Google+ Messenger etc.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 21:13   #14462
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,081
Thanked: 3,328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

There should be a hard reset button somewhere for that purpose..will have to check phone specific in XDA
For most phones I've handled, it's usually a combination of the power and volume buttons.
IPhone, Sony, HTC.

I've seen the insert pin type reset now on tabs only.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 22:00   #14463
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,297
Thanked: 414 Times
Default

I am on Xperia z. Apparently Sony offers free battery replacement. You will have to buy the battery from Sony though.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 22:06   #14464
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,458
Thanked: 3,566 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Have there been any changes made to the swype in Android 4.1.2. I updated my Galaxy s2 and the swype now has become terrible. The prediction is all wrong and it just doesn't get the word I want to type. Any fixes for the same?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 22:18   #14465
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,786
Thanked: 1,321 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Have there been any changes made to the swype in Android 4.1.2. I updated my Galaxy s2 and the swype now has become terrible. The prediction is all wrong and it just doesn't get the word I want to type. Any fixes for the same?
Its working fine for me on Note 2.

BTW, Any news on 4.2 update? Its long overdue.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 23:13   #14466
BHPian
 
vigneshnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 140
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

The update had come 3 days back itself. I had even posted it here. It went smoothly for me and the phone really feels refreshingly new.
Last saturday, I updated my wife's s2 through settings>update. Btw I dint get OTA notification for jb. One interesting addition I noticed was in-built mood matrix kinda feature in music player. Song is picked based on the mood chosen by you.
This is better than 'genius' feature introduced in ipods
Somehow this is not available in note jb update. What an irony ?
vigneshnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 23:17   #14467
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
so clevermax how does it work for phones that have no removable battery like the iphones or XZ or HTC One ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That is a very interesting question.
I am curious to know the answer as well. Perhaps those phones never face this problem?
Please read my post again:

Quote:
If your phone gets stuck and is not recovering from it, do not ever long-press the power button hoping that it would turn itself off. Instead, just pull the battery. I did long-press the power button, the area around the button got heated up and after the next battery pull, it never turned on again. This is specific to Galaxy Nexus. I know some other phones can turn themselves off from an unresponsive state by a long-press of the power button.
What I have said is my observations about Galaxy Nexus only. I have also said that long-press would indeed work for a non-responsive situation in some other devices. I know it will work in most non-removable battery devices like my Nexus 7. Had to resort to that once too - means the Nexus 7 got stuck once, but I just long-pressed the power button (10 secs) to restart it.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th April 2013 at 23:21.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 00:12   #14468
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,498
Thanked: 419 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Have there been any changes made to the swype in Android 4.1.2. I updated my Galaxy s2 and the swype now has become terrible. The prediction is all wrong and it just doesn't get the word I want to type. Any fixes for the same?
Download swiftkey trial from the market and use it, all the predictions are spot on and it also has hinglish language support, for all those whatsapp conversation.
sameerg001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 11:47   #14469
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Download swiftkey trial from the market and use it, all the predictions are spot on and it also has hinglish language support, for all those whatsapp conversation.
+1 on that. i am using the full version and it is spot onnnnn
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 21:31   #14470
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 926
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Some help needed here please. I successfully rooted my Defy Plus, but when I tried to flash an ICS ROM I am getting a signature verification failure and the installation stops. I am not getting any clear instructions about what I am doing wrong here on XDA and some of the jargon is going over my head. Yes I am surely rooted and I have installed 2ndinit and given all the necessary super user permissions. Some suggested that I may have a problematic file of the ICS custom ROM, so any link to download a new ROM ICS or JB for defy plus is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 01:10   #14471
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Some help needed here please. I successfully rooted my Defy Plus, but when I tried to flash an ICS ROM I am getting a signature verification failure and the installation stops. I am not getting any clear instructions about what I am doing wrong here on XDA and some of the jargon is going over my head. Yes I am surely rooted and I have installed 2ndinit and given all the necessary super user permissions. Some suggested that I may have a problematic file of the ICS custom ROM, so any link to download a new ROM ICS or JB for defy plus is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Download the ROM again. It was not downloaded properly.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 10:51   #14472
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

[quote=SPARKled;3091374..., so any link to download a new ROM ICS or JB for defy plus is welcome.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I am using the 07 March ROM from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1768702

You may try the latest as well.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 12:27   #14473
BHPian
 
Binzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kochi/Trivandrum
Posts: 64
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Several apps on my s2 have started crashing often after I did the official jb upgrade. Especially dolphin, skype etc.

And every time, the phone needs to be restarted after its stuck, the battery percentage drops to less than 15%.

Till date, have avoided doing factory reset along with the upgrades.
Am wondering if I should do it to get this to be stable.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Binzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 13:31   #14474
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 1,517 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Several apps on my s2 have started crashing often after I did the official jb upgrade. Especially dolphin, skype etc.

And every time, the phone needs to be restarted after its stuck, the battery percentage drops to less than 15%.

Till date, have avoided doing factory reset along with the upgrades.
Am wondering if I should do it to get this to be stable.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?
I also upgraded my S2 to Jellybean (Official) 3 days back. So far no issues, apart from battery drain having gone up. To me it seems to be draining the battery almost 40% faster than ICS. Inspite of having a high capacity 2000 mAH battery in my S2, I am just barely getting around 12-14 hours of battery life, with around 1.5 hours of call usage and maybe 1 hour of internet/ application usage. JB seems to be a major battery hog, at least at first perception.

The phone hanging issue is probably due to a bad application which is probably not working well with the JB OS - try uninstalling all the apps and once you catch the culprit app, the issue should be solved.

What you can also do is check on the play store for other users feedback on the apps and if other users are also complaining of this issue with that specific app, get rid of it asap.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th April 2013 at 13:34.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 13:44   #14475
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I also upgraded my S2 to Jellybean (Official) 3 days back. So far no issues, apart from battery drain having gone up. To me it seems to be draining the battery almost 40% faster than ICS. Inspite of having a high capacity 2000 mAH battery in my S2, I am just barely getting around 12-14 hours of battery life, with around 1.5 hours of call usage and maybe 1 hour of internet/ application usage. JB seems to be a major battery hog, at least at first perception.

The phone hanging issue is probably due to a bad application which is probably not working well with the JB OS - try uninstalling all the apps and once you catch the culprit app, the issue should be solved.

What you can also do is check on the play store for other users feedback on the apps and if other users are also complaining of this issue with that specific app, get rid of it asap.

Regards,
Behemoth
You might need to condition your battery. It could be that its not charging full due to fatigue? Try that. If your phone is rooted then delete old battery stats file after charging to full, and then switch it off let it charge for some more time.

Also Google Now is a big battery sucker. If that and location update is enabled it will eat up battery.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks