Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 10:36   #14581
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 611
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think its overblown nonsense.

Companies like HTC allow you to do as you deem fit - you can unlock the bootloader, a painful 15-20 step procedure. The firmware has certain NAND memory settings that once unlocked, even if u relock it, it says RELOCKED and not LOCKED. So technology allows them to satisfy user requirements.

Lastly, its like a car - I bought a device, paid a fat bundle to use it. Now it is my darned wish to tune the ECU, swap out the suspension or chop the boot if I so deem fit.

This is not USA where the contract stipulations can be bypassed (some try to charge for tethering access etc), and hence rooting a contract phone is illegal. Hence illegal is not really valid in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
But car companies also void warranty if ECU is remapped or even a wire is cut for audio system.

Point is about limiting liability what if you flash a custom kernel which has socket hooks to send your data to another server? If company does not deny warranty then technically and legally it needs to own up consequences of unknown software.
Exactly amitk26!

Definitely your wish whether you want to root your phone, use an aftermarket battery, or even overclock the CPU!

It's the same with a car too! I can't screw it up and then go back to the company to claim warranty! My point is do whatever you want, just don't cry about losing warranty after that!

Lastly my contextual definition of illegal is - You'll lose warranty - illegal, not - you'll go to jail - illegal !!
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 13:04   #14582
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Point is about limiting liability what if you flash a custom kernel which has socket hooks to send your data to another server? If company does not deny warranty then technically and legally it needs to own up consequences of unknown software.
Absolutely. they can and should deny warranty. But illegal has different meanings from just denying warranty.See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Lastly my contextual definition of illegal is - You'll lose warranty - illegal, not - you'll go to jail - illegal !!
then we agree. You are breaking a contract, not going against the law. So my limited english says rooting is contractually untenable, but not illegal.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 13:44   #14583
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,796
Thanked: 1,342 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am thinking of gifting the HTC One X+ to my wife. However, I have read at many places that the phone has a peculiar problem of not detecting the SIM. Even on the HTC official page, multiple people have reported this issue. So i am concerned.

S3 is also a great option at the same price, but S3 lacks the build quality and One X+ has 64 GB storage by default at the same price as S3.

Anyone here heard or seen this?
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 14:14   #14584
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am thinking of gifting the HTC One X+ to my wife. However, I have read at many places that the phone has a peculiar problem of not detecting the SIM. Even on the HTC official page, multiple people have reported this issue. So i am concerned.

S3 is also a great option at the same price, but S3 lacks the build quality and One X+ has 64 GB storage by default at the same price as S3.

Anyone here heard or seen this?
That happened with my HTC Radar also. HTC simply replaced the set with another one. Its been working fine.

I am a big fan of HTC build quality. My 4+ year old touch diamond is still as good as day 1 and working fine.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 14:42   #14585
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hey please let us know about your beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
@ Clevermax. I think I have guessed it. It is HTC One X Plus. Am I right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
That sounds like HTC ONE X+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Is it the One x+ or the HTC Butterfly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
HTC one x+ is really really good clevermax.
What color have you chosen?
Finally, got the device. It is just HTC OneX guys, not OneX+. It was a good deal for me as I got it as a replacement phone for my faulty Galaxy Nexus, from the eBay seller. Just had to pay him 4K additional. It is a fresh box, manufactured in 2013 March itself.

The phone is grey in colour. I have seen the white one and it also looks great but this time I decided to go with a dark color as I have bad memories associated with the Galaxy Nexus which was white in color

Installed Jellybean update yesterday. UI is smooth and fast but not as buttery smooth like the RevolutionHD Sense ROM running in my brother's OneX.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th April 2013 at 14:47.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 14:50   #14586
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 448
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Congrats on your purchase. It is indeed a very good phone. It was the first Quad core phone which was launched.

Last edited by HappyRoadie : 18th April 2013 at 14:54.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:09   #14587
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,150
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Finally, got the device. It is just HTC OneX guys, not OneX+. It was a good deal for me as I got it as a replacement phone for my faulty Galaxy Nexus, from the eBay seller. Just had to pay him 4K additional. It is a fresh box, manufactured in 2013 March itself.
.
So you only had to pay 4K to the ebay seller? Did you manage to sell the bricked Nexus? How?
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:51   #14588
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
So you only had to pay 4K to the ebay seller? Did you manage to sell the bricked Nexus? How?
The seller had given me 'seller warranty' for the Galaxy Nexus. When the phone became faulty, I had sent the phone to him for service.

Couple of weeks back, he called and told me that the service is not possible because there's no replacement motherboard. Sticking to his seller warranty commitment, they gave me an option to select a phone of my choice (from their listing of course) and they would ship that to me. Assuming full refund for Galaxy Nexus.

I selected HTC One X, and asked him how much should I give as additional amount, they said 4K and the deal was done.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 16:07   #14589
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The seller had given me 'seller warranty' for the Galaxy Nexus. When the phone became faulty, I had sent the phone to him for service.

Couple of weeks back, he called and told me that the service is not possible because there's no replacement motherboard. Sticking to his seller warranty commitment, they gave me an option to select a phone of my choice (from their listing of course) and they would ship that to me. Assuming full refund for Galaxy Nexus.

I selected HTC One X, and asked him how much should I give as additional amount, they said 4K and the deal was done.
So zero depreciation for the Nexus? I'm impressed, mind sharing the sellers link?
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 16:25   #14590
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have samsung galaxy S Duos (S7562). I have rooted the phone around 3 months back and runs with 4.0.4 ICS at rpesent. I understand there is an update available for the device with 4.2.1 jellybean. The issue is, I'am unable to update any firmware as i'am getting a small yellow triangle whenever the device is restarted.

I want to unroot the device and upgrade it to 4.2.1 jellybean. Can somebody help me on this please?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 16:53   #14591
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 611
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I have samsung galaxy S Duos (S7562). I have rooted the phone around 3 months back and runs with 4.0.4 ICS at rpesent. I understand there is an update available for the device with 4.2.1 jellybean. The issue is, I'am unable to update any firmware as i'am getting a small yellow triangle whenever the device is restarted.

I want to unroot the device and upgrade it to 4.2.1 jellybean. Can somebody help me on this please?
The yellow triangle signifies you have raised the Binary counter and it violates the warranty (if still applicable). You have to use an app called "Triangle Away" which you'll find in XDA. Please read the instructions clearly, use the app and get rid of the triangle.

Once this is done, download the latest firmware for phone from sammobile.com. Use PC Odin and flash this firmware. Once successfully flashed, you will have this firmware on your phone and also your phone will be unrooted.
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 17:00   #14592
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
So zero depreciation for the Nexus? I'm impressed, mind sharing the sellers link?
Yes, zero depreciation. Even I never expected that.

The seller is Sarf Trading, Chennai. The ebay seller name is shabbeerhf1.

And he sends me this in whatsapp after I set up my new phone:

Name:  Screenshot_20130418165743_1.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  29.5 KB
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 17:02   #14593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 221
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I have samsung galaxy S Duos (S7562). I have rooted the phone around 3 months back and runs with 4.0.4 ICS at present.
Can you give me the link to the steps to unroot the same mobile? Any step by step guide will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by manson : 23rd April 2013 at 17:09. Reason: Fixed quote
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 17:03   #14594
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes, zero depreciation. Even I never expected that.

The seller is Sarf Trading, Chennai. The ebay seller name is shabbeerhf1.

And he sends me this in whatsapp after I set up my new phone:
Customer service, thats how its done.

This seller focuses on importing phones and thus provides seller warranty?
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 17:12   #14595
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Customer service, thats how its done.

This seller focuses on importing phones and thus provides seller warranty?
Yes, they import models and sell here. I have the warranty applicable to new One-X too, and I am very much pleased with that.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks