Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 22:49   #14671
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,100
Thanked: 3,408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

Sony is much better now with updates and supporting open source community.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_release...-news-5907.php
Well, wait till it's time for KLP.
My ion, which apparently was THE thing till last December is still officially on ICS.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:53   #14672
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 284
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,urgent help needed. I have recently purchased a Micromax A116 Canvas HD. I want to take a back up of it. How do I go about it.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:59   #14673
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 756
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Guys,urgent help needed. I have recently purchased a Micromax A116 Canvas HD. I want to take a back up of it. How do I go about it.
Backup of what? Contacts? Use the export option. Apps + app data? Use Titanium Backup (if your phone is rooted).
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 00:03   #14674
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This should also help people make up their mind when deciding between Z and ZL. Overall ZL is a killer package for 33K.

http://tech2.in.com/features/smartph...eria-zl/870816
the Z and ZL supposedly have screens with terrible viewing angles.

Quote:
Sadly once we start being picky about certain hardware choices, youíll notice the display isnít perfect. Sony may brag about their reality display and their Bravia Engine 2 all they want, but unless youíre looking at this display head-on, it has terrible viewing angles. How terrible? Well, while head-on, the Android buttons seem grey, which at first I thought was intentional (notice our video review), but once you pull screen shots of the UI out of the device, these are actually black. Then when it comes to viewing angles, I think the last display I used with such terrible color reproduction when seen from any angle was the 2009 iPhone 3GS, and yes, even last-yearís Sony Xperia S had a better display. Some say they arenít bothered by viewing angles, but Iím sure that once you set it on the table for lunch and have the need to pick it up to read each message instead of being able to read it while on the table at an angle Ė like everybody else does today Ė youíll start to understand where Iím coming from.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 01:10   #14675
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

the Z and ZL supposedly have screens with terrible viewing angles.
While the viewing angle isn't the best, it's more than adequate.
I have the Xperia z and the viewing angle issue crops up only when I'm trying to see how bad the viewing actually is.

I didn't notice it until then.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 06:25   #14676
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,797
Thanked: 1,342 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

the Z and ZL supposedly have screens with terrible viewing angles.
Viewing angle is hardly a deal breaker for me, be it any phone. And the writer of the article himself says " If we start being pricky..." so that way every phone has problems. If the positives outnumber the negatives, go for it. That's the motto!
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 08:49   #14677
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Viewing angle is hardly a deal breaker for me, be it any phone. And the writer of the article himself says " If we start being pricky..." so that way every phone has problems. If the positives outnumber the negatives, go for it. That's the motto!
Well, there are several practical examples.

1. Lazing around on bed and chatting on whats app with the phone facing the ceiling.
2. Eating lunch and responding to an email, posting on FB, checking a thread on TBHP app.

Which device are you using by the way, to understand the viewing angles and the display experience on your device ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 10:13   #14678
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,797
Thanked: 1,342 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Well, there are several practical examples.
1. Lazing around on bed and chatting on whats app with the phone facing the ceiling.
2. Eating lunch and responding to an email, posting on FB, checking a thread on TBHP app.

Which device are you using by the way, to understand the viewing angles and the display experience on your device ?
I use Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Before that iPhone 4S, before that iPhone 3GS. Your statement and examples are totally contradictory.
Practical example vs Lazying around.

Secondly, I completely avoid using any device while having any kind of food any time of the day, as there is a risk of spilling stuff on the device. I quit FB 3 months ago, since its a criminal waste of time, unless you have a purpose and want to market something or spread awareness.

Again, all of these are my personal opinions. I don't have to explain to anyone how and why and what. :

Cheers!
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 11:14   #14679
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,162
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I use Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Before that iPhone 4S, before that iPhone 3GS. Your statement and examples are totally contradictory.
Practical example vs Lazying around.

Secondly, I completely avoid using any device while having any kind of food any time of the day, as there is a risk of spilling stuff on the device. I quit FB 3 months ago, since its a criminal waste of time, unless you have a purpose and want to market something or spread awareness.

Again, all of these are my personal opinions. I don't have to explain to anyone how and why and what. :

Cheers!
I think the whole point of waterproofing the Xperia Z is to prevent any problems with liquid spilling over it. If one still refrains from using it near liquids, I thinks the premium for Z over the ZL is money down the drain.
Of course, the protection shouldn't be abused, but you shouldn't be afraid of using the Phone either!
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 11:23   #14680
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 405
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I think something is fishy after the latest OTA update. My Note 2's battery is just not dying. The battery was at 100% at 11 AM yesterday morning and 24 hrs later, it stands at 76%. Whats going on?
Could you please put the battery screenshot? Also some questions

1) Are you on 2G/3G?
2) Whats the screen ON time?

I had battery issues after the OTA and afterwards I had to ODIN the complete ROM to get rid of the problem. But I am not seeing such an enormous increase in battery life However, its still the best at 1.5days of average 3G usage and 1-2 hrs of screen time with another 1-2 hrs of voice calling.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 11:30   #14681
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,797
Thanked: 1,342 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Could you please put the battery screenshot? Also some questions

1) Are you on 2G/3G?
2) Whats the screen ON time?

I had battery issues after the OTA and afterwards I had to ODIN the complete ROM to get rid of the problem. But I am not seeing such an enormous increase in battery life However, its still the best at 1.5days of average 3G usage and 1-2 hrs of screen time with another 1-2 hrs of voice calling.
Ok, here goes the info.

I charged the phone to 100% with wall charger on 23rd April at 11 AM. On 23rd and 24th April I must have used 3G for about 30-40 minutes and the screen ON time was around 2-3 hours. Then in the night of 24-April, my daughter was playing "Where's my water?" game for around 45 minutes and the battery went down to 33% from about 55%. Today(25-April) morning, after I woke up the battery was at 27%. After I read all news and all posts on TeamBHP, the battery was down to 23%. So finally, after exactly 2 days (48 hours) of usage, i put the phone for charging.

I will record the battery performance over the next 2 days again to confirm the findings over last two days.

EDIT: Its 11:35 AM and the Note 2 is now fully charged. The countdown starts now. Will share the updates as time progresses.

Cheers!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 25th April 2013 at 11:32.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 12:33   #14682
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@Thread: How is a brand new Motorola Atrix 2 at 8K price levels?
I know it is 2011-12 model, but the hardware is still pretty good (must've been great when released).

Or does it make more sense (only technically, no influence of support/warranty) to buy Xperia E (about 9K)



Atrix 2 has larger screen as well as front cam, and I believe few goodies like magnetometer etc.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 13:49   #14683
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 405
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
@Thread: How is a brand new Motorola Atrix 2 at 8K price levels?
I know it is 2011-12 model, but the hardware is still pretty good (must've been great when released).

Or does it make more sense (only technically, no influence of support/warranty) to buy Xperia E (about 9K)



Atrix 2 has larger screen as well as front cam, and I believe few goodies like magnetometer etc.
Being used the device for 5-6 months, I can say its a brilliant device for this price. Bear in mind that, the battery life on 3G is pretty bad. I was hardly getting 10-11 hrs of average use if on 3G, the same phone on 2G used to give more than 48hrs on a single charge. So if you basically planning to be on a 2G network, this is the best VFM "branded" phone in this price range
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 14:24   #14684
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 504
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
@Thread: How is a brand new Motorola Atrix 2 at 8K price levels?
I know it is 2011-12 model, but the hardware is still pretty good (must've been great when released).

Or does it make more sense (only technically, no influence of support/warranty) to buy Xperia E (about 9K)



Atrix 2 has larger screen as well as front cam, and I believe few goodies like magnetometer etc.
Where did you find Atrix 2 at 8K price? My friends are looking to buy this..!

Im using AT&T Atrix 2 since a year. Its a amazing phone. Features that lack: 3G UMTS video calling, AT&T update to Jelly Bean, gyro. Else its very very robust phone. Difficult to final a similar refined phone is same spec.

Last edited by devrajman : 25th April 2013 at 14:26.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 14:29   #14685
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Where did you find Atrix 2 at 8K price? My friends are looking to buy this..!

Im using AT&T Atrix 2 since a year. Its a amazing phone. Features that lack: 3G UMTS video calling, AT&T update to Jelly Bean, gyro. Else its very very robust phone. Difficult to final a similar refined phone is same spec.
:'(
It's out of stock at saholic.
http://www.saholic.com/mobile-phones...-mb865-1003041
X-(

Now I realize why the 8K price (just a clickbait).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:00.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks