Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 09:53   #5341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower
Finally my Atrix got the gingerbread update couple of weeks back. It was already fast enough on Froyo, now its one heck of a device. Super quick. Does everything you throw at it ( High Res qHD screen, HD games, super fast GPS Lock, 3G speeds on Vodofone, biggest battery in smartphones etc.). Finally the new Motoblur UI is as good as Sense, if not better. The processor is same as SGS2, but Samsung overclocked it to beat Atrix on benchmarking scores since SGS2 was launched afterwards.
No dude... The sgs2 has a Samsung built exynos processor. The attic has a Texas Instruments OMAP processor. The clock speed might be the same, but that doesn't dictate the speed of the procc.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:02   #5342
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys any pointers to a good screen protector for Samsung Galaxy S ?
Old 6th August 2011, 10:03   #5343
Senior - BHPian

Following are the ugrades i did last night

- upgraded Firmware to 2.3.4. XXKG6
- Restored back to factory settings using the firmware.
- Flashed rom with Litening Rom 5.0
- Added ninphetamine or should i say flashed with Ninphetamine.
- CWM pre loaded with Litening.

Immediate feedback -

- Absolutely smooth feedback from the phone
- Very fast across screens and overall application responses
- Back button is faster
- Auto rooted by Litening ROM 5.0
- SetCpu can now be used to overclock

Here are steps to be followed for others:- I know these steps are available at all websites. Since i already did follow them, i am going to write as i did it hoping it will be helpful.

Note - As always i am not responsible if you brick your phone.

Step 1 - Download the XXKG6 firmware file from the below link- size around 325 MB

http://androidadvices.com/downloads/i9100XXKG6.zip

(original Link owner - Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread XXKG6 firmware Update for Samsung Galaxy S2)

Step 2 - Recharge your phone to 100%

Step 3 - Take complete back up of your phone in KIES

Step 4 - Remove SD card, Sim card.

Step 5 - Make your phone USB Debugging mode active. I just followed this from one of the links in website. DOnt ask me why we are doing this. You can do this by going into Settings-> application -> Development -> Usb Debugging

Step 6 - Extract the zip you downloaded into Desktop

Step 7 - Restart phone in Download mode. Volume Down + Home + Power up.

Step 8 - Press Volume up to go into download mode

Step 9 - Connect the phone with USB to your computer. Odit will show the com port once connected.

We are all set to now flash your phone. REmember after flashing the phone will start like NEW as you took out of the showroom. So forget all the applications you had and all the funny shortcuts and widgets you were using. Everything will be wiped and you have to start from the first.

Load the files into the ODIN utility as given below

PIT —– u1_02_20110310_emmc_EXT4.pit,
PDA —– CODE_I9100XXKG6_CL425236_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.m d5,
Phone —– MODEM_I9100XXKG6_REV_02_CL1044543.tar.md5
CSC —– GT-I9100-CSC-MULTI-OXAKG6.tar.md5

Check twice that you loaded the right file into the right tab.

Refer - Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread XXKG3 firmware Update for Samsung Galaxy S2

Step 10 - Press start and wait till it says passed. Refer link for any additional options required.

Step 11 - Now the phone restarts. Switch of and load as Recovery mode. Volume up + HOme + Power.

Step 12 - Reset Cache and do a factory reset.

Step 13 - Restart and your are good to go with 2.3.4 XXKG6

Installing Litening Rom

Just follow the steps in

[ROM] Lite'ning Rom v5.0 XXKG6 - Fast as Lightning - xda-developers

Loading Ninphetamine.

Get the Zip file from

http://ninpo.qap.la/kernels/sgs2/nin....5-release.zip

(Original Thread - [Kernel][GPL] Ninphetamine-2.0.5 - Now with 100% less Samsungyness - xda-developers)

Move the Zip file to your phone and not SD card. (Remember yet to load the SIM or Memory card)

Go to CWM - Give super use access. Go to Flash update(Flash an update.zip)

Search for the file you loaded and flash the phone.

Now you have Litening Rom, CWM, Super user app and fantastic smooth system which is so far stable and lightning fast.

Let me know if you need more help.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 10:06   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@phamilyman - Spot on recommendation mate; Best I have seen on this thread recently.

@abhij - follow phamilyman's recommendation and you wont regret buying your first android device. My vote goes for the SGS2 as it is THE best device as on date. Its interface can easily be changed to say a Launcher Pro+ and then you can get quite a HTC Sense like experience; HTC Sensation is a close 2nd and more solid (in gsm); Stay away from Sony...
We are not looking at Dolby 5.1 effects on call quality on either phones, the SGS2 has active noise cancellation with a secondary mic, which really helps when you are in a noisy area.

HTC sense is good, but nothing to beat the pure android (stock) experience.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:40   #5345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
HTC sense is good, but nothing to beat the pure android (stock) experience.
That may be your views but the vast majority may have a different opinion. Kindly stick to giving your own recommendations without quoting me (a request).
Old 6th August 2011, 11:37   #5346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Following are the ugrades i did last night

- upgraded Firmware to 2.3.4. XXKG6
- Restored back to factory settings using the firmware.
- Flashed rom with Litening Rom 5.0
- Added ninphetamine or should i say flashed with Ninphetamine.
- CWM pre loaded with Litening.
Good Choice. Don't forget to calibrate the battery by clearing the batterystats from recovery, once at 0% clear the battery stats putting it on charge, charge the phone till 100% once done clear the batterystats while the charger plugged in. Unplug the charger once it reboots. You could also download the batterycalibration app from the market.
You will see better result after 2-3 full charge.
You could also make use of Setcpu to UC/OC the device and set the voltage.
I have UC mine during the screen off and night time during sleep. Battery loss is 2% at night.

Last edited by Invinsible : 6th August 2011 at 11:43.
Old 6th August 2011, 11:49   #5347
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Invinsible. I have already installed the app and i am waiting for the charge to go to 100 to do it once and then again at 0%.

Few more things that came with Litning ROM

Video play back in normal orientation. I am pretty sure the default rom didnt allow me to watch videos in vertical orientation.

Shoot me app is also a great app to take screen shots. Though the default HOME + POWER still works great.

Home screen can be tilted and viewed in horizontal orientation. This includes phone call or dialing numbers

Can anyone point to any application that will display full screen pictures when someone calls?
Old 6th August 2011, 12:28   #5348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Can anyone point to any application that will display full screen pictures when someone calls?
There is one available however this is designed for KG1/KG2, nothing yet for Kg6.
Mod Phone.apk Full Screen Photo KG1/KG2 - xda-developers

Have you disabled fast dormancy?

Last edited by Invinsible : 6th August 2011 at 12:36.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:23   #5349
BHPian

Folks, I picked up the Amzer Silicone Skin Jelly Case (Black) for the NExus S, got to say it's a perfect fit and even gives a nice good grip on the phone. Bought it from Flipkart for a pretty good rate (199/- inclusive of courier charges).
Also picked up a screen protector from scratchgard.in, used to always like the scratchgard screen protectors because they don't use a glue on the sticky surface, rather it sticks with static and can also be washed and put on again. Was really disappointed with one thing though, the size of the screen guard, it's only on the screen portion of the phone but not on the full front glass (ie: the top part of the glass near the earpiece and the capacitive keys on the lower portion). Was unfair of scratchgard.in to reduce the size and sell it as a NExus S screen protector. I'll post a picture of it later.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:45   #5350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The Google navigation with voice really rocks in android
I will be using it in the forthcoming trip to Ooty this month. I already have a MMI device too, let see who wins the contest.

The only downside i see is its need an internet connection.
I did try a comparison of Google navigation and MMI, found the MMI to be a much more reliable navigation aid, it's also something that's dedicated and not alternating between being a phone and a GPS device. The main drawback on google maps is the requirement for GPRS which usually won't be available in remote areas where you need GPS the most.
Your GPRS would also cut off if you are speaking to someone on the phone.
Google maps is great if you are walking around in the city and need to find something quick.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:49   #5351
BHPian

I'm trying the voice input method for text messages or emails, etc on my SGS2. When ever I say something, the voice input keys a different set of words, completely different. Till now, I could not succeed even once with the correct input of words. But, there is an ad on Samsung Galaxy Ace which shows this as a great advantage instead of typing. DO you also face the same issue or is there anything that I'm missing or not doing the proper way. Need inputs. Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 15:16   #5352
Senior - BHPian

Installed and configured SetCPU now. Here are the profiles I have set.

Name:  snap20110806_151201.png
Views: 758
Size:  78.0 KB

Any suggestions / review comments on this?

If none of these conditions are met, phone will be running at 1113 Mhz max and 245 minimum while display is on. CPU governor in that case will be OnDemand.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th August 2011 at 15:18.
Old 6th August 2011, 15:21   #5353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any suggestions / review comments on this?
Somehow I have experienced, more the processes running in the background (like these) more the battery usage. I tend to avoid all such programs for better battery life.
Old 6th August 2011, 15:33   #5354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I did try a comparison of Google navigation and MMI, found the MMI to be a much more reliable navigation aid, it's also something that's dedicated and not alternating between being a phone and a GPS device. The main drawback on google maps is the requirement for GPRS which usually won't be available in remote areas where you need GPS the most.
Your GPRS would also cut off if you are speaking to someone on the phone.
Google maps is great if you are walking around in the city and need to find something quick.
you can use the maps offline without the need for an active data plan.

just do a "download map area" .
Old 6th August 2011, 15:52   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
No dude... The sgs2 has a Samsung built exynos processor. The attic has a Texas Instruments OMAP processor. The clock speed might be the same, but that doesn't dictate the speed of the procc.
Yes My bad, the Sammy has exynos processor.
When it was initially leaked, it was supposed to come with 1GHz processor, however they overclocked it when they finally released.

Most Viewed