Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 11:26   #11326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
Guys on JB, is there a default data manager app (like 3G watchdog), I remember seeing something similar in one of the Nexus reviews, but can't seem to find it now.
ICS has it in
Settings - Data usage - (mobile/wlan)

Trust JB should have in the same location.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:40   #11327
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Now Google voice navigation is avalable in India and its working well for me, just wanted to check if a small LCD screen can be used to view the output via mini-USB? anyone has an idea?
Old 11th September 2012, 11:46   #11328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Now Google voice navigation is avalable in India and its working well for me, just wanted to check if a small LCD screen can be used to view the output via mini-USB? anyone has an idea?
I am not sure if an LCD can be driven directly through USB port of a phone, but it is possible as in you connect the phone to a larger display equipped device like a tab which can act as host and then direct the screen to that using a remote desktop app like VNC server + VNC client. Have tested VNC from phone to PC and it works but very slow. For navigation purposes, it is not a good solution at all!

Another app which lets you view the display remotely is Airdroid.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th September 2012 at 11:49.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:46   #11329
BANNED

Let me chip in with my tuppence worth. Let me state a fact - manufacturers are not too keen to make software upgrades available. It does not fetch them additional revenues, and may delay your purchase of the next phone.

CyanogenMod (CM) for short is an alliance of aficionados who develop the Android OS independently. There are nightly upgrades, and the stable versions are flagged as such. CM9 and CM10 are ICS implementations, but are not labelled as such. I may add that CM and MIUI are probably the two most popular ROMs. Many developers consider CM to be the purest form of Android, which in turn is anchored in Linux.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:59   #11330
Senior - BHPian

Atrix 2 users,the ICS update is out. I will not get a wifi connection till late evening today, so I've not yet downloaded it. Can anyone update and put in initial impressions...
Old 11th September 2012, 12:25   #11331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Atrix 2 users,the ICS update is out. I will not get a wifi connection till late evening today, so I've not yet downloaded it. Can anyone update and put in initial impressions...
Thanks for the note. Will update tonight. My phone does show a notification when prompted for an upgrade.

At least Moto was true to their word !
Its there in Q3 !

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2012 at 12:28.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:17   #11332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
ICS has it in
Settings - Data usage - (mobile/wlan)

Trust JB should have in the same location.
It is indeed there only. Settings->Data Usage.

You have two slider bars there - one for data limit and the other for warning. See attached screenshot.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120911112812.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me chip in with my tuppence worth. Let me state a fact - manufacturers are not too keen to make software upgrades available. It does not fetch them additional revenues, and may delay your purchase of the next phone.

CyanogenMod (CM) for short is an alliance of aficionados who develop the Android OS independently. There are nightly upgrades, and the stable versions are flagged as such. CM9 and CM10 are ICS implementations, but are not labelled as such. I may add that CM and MIUI are probably the two most popular ROMs. Many developers consider CM to be the purest form of Android, which in turn is anchored in Linux.
Perfect explanation. Lucid and succinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
As I understand, CM9 == ICS and CM10 == JB.
True. CM9=ICS and CM10=JB.

There was no CM8 by the way. CM7=GB (with some components of ICS thrown in) and after that the team jumped to CM9

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 11th September 2012 at 13:28.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:21   #11333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
CM9 and CM10 are ICS implementations, but are not labelled as such.
As I understand, CM9 == ICS and CM10 == JB.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:40   #11334
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: Not really sure who recommended Swift Key on this thread (the original post was on providing the discounted deal on that app), but would like to thank him! This app is a life saver for me, an ex-BB user to survive on the touch-screen droid.
Old 11th September 2012, 14:35   #11335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT: Not really sure who recommended Swift Key on this thread (the original post was on providing the discounted deal on that app), but would like to thank him! This app is a life saver for me, an ex-BB user to survive on the touch-screen droid.
Thanks. Had forgotten about Swift Key, and was using Swype. Just typed a couple of messages with Swift Key and it's FANTASTIC.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:00   #11336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, in that case, [Sygic] is useless to me since the current version is not compatible with the SGS3's OS.

So the only option is Google navigation I guess.
Suggest that you email Sygic with model/version details. They are likely to respond quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
I am BIG fan of Garmin. They seem to have hit the sweet spot when it comes to "simple non cluttered display" and "optimal info presentation".
Garmin are pioneers in this business. They have been getting boats around the world long before anybody thought of using this stuff on roads. If I wanted a stand-alone navigation device, that is where I would look.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:33   #11337
BHPian

Hey Team,

I am looking to try MIUI ROM on my SGS2. I have dual booted with CM10 but not liking the experience so far, dont find it very different from ICS yet. May be will comeback once the nightlies get from stable.

So with regards to MIUI, I was looking up miuiandroid.com for English versions and found a huge list of 2.9.7 ROMs. I found the ICS builds for i9100. But also found the following JB builds, can someone tell me whats different with these builds and which one is to be used with the SGS2

http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.9.7/m...espo-2.9.7.zip
http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.9.7/m...guro-2.9.7.zip
http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.9.7/m...uper-2.9.7.zip
http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.9.7/m...toro-2.9.7.zip

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th September 2012, 18:54   #11338
Team-BHP Support

Upgraded Atrix-2 to ICS with OTA and home WiFI. No issues and upgrade was smooth!
Definitely it feels more snappier (Or am I imagining things? )

So far so good !
Old 11th September 2012, 19:32   #11339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Upgraded Atrix-2 to ICS with OTA and home WiFI. No issues and upgrade was smooth!
Definitely it feels more snappier (Or am I imagining things? )

So far so good !
Snappiness comes at a price. Default RAM usage is 538MB in ICS instead of about 365 MB in GB. None of my apps have issues though .It was a smooth transition. Performance overall is the same.

I am keen on observing the battery life with this update. The default task manager has disappeared and there is no way to turn off the animations (transitions).Asphalt 7 has the same pink line issue. My class 10 Microsd card works properly now.

Overall, I'm very happy with Motorola staying true to their word & providing ICS to the underdog phone. The Atrix 2 hardware is capable enough.
Old 11th September 2012, 19:38   #11340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Overall, I'm very happy with Motorola staying true to their word & providing ICS to the underdog phone. The Atrix 2 hardware is capable enough.

+1. Its really an underdog phone.
A 4.3 inch display with a GB of RAM and a GHz dual core processor ends with a AMOLED display, And hence, the price goes upwards of 27-30K

With an LCD display and the rest of the H/W the phone is quite capable at a very reasonable price. I guess the 1GB of RAM is put to good use!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks