Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 08:37   #22666
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

It seems that Lenovo has decided to kill the Motorola label. So this crop of Moto may be the last. I guess they may come up with a new sub-brand.
Old 13th January 2016, 08:48   #22667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It seems that Lenovo has decided to kill the Motorola label. So this crop of Moto may be the last. I guess they may come up with a new sub-brand.
Well. It seems like the high end phones would be named moto-xxxx. The lower end ones will be vibe-xxx. The moto-g sits in between so not sure whether it will continue our not.... It's a pity if they discontinue the g series.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:10   #22668
Distinguished - BHPian

As a corporate decision, I'm surprised that Lenovo didn't do it earlier. Hardly anyone knew of the takeover and Lenovo continued their lame way of selling Motorola only via online websites. Its about time that Lenovo merged the branding completely and make their new range available in exclusive outlets.

What the brand needs now is a more premium image, even if it costs 10-20% more. All traces of the original Motorola, the heritage etc have all been wiped away (since the flop of Razr anyway). Their Android line has been anything but in-house technology. The only legit Motorola in existence now is Motorola Solutions that still make some bits & bobs of radio communication & surveillance gadgets for the government.

Time to wipe the Moto name clean, and make the phones available off the shelf. This time with better camera sensors, premium design (not that tired old much flogged "pebble" design of Samsung please) & updated practical features like better sound output, fingerprint readers etc. Lenovo can do it, they already have licensing with Dolby for sound software & make fingerprint readers for their Thinkpads.
Old 13th January 2016, 11:39   #22669
BHPian

I recently shifted to Nexus 6 from Nexus S! Yes, its 5 years of using Nexus S. Small, yet nice devices.

From 4" device to 5.99" Is gigantic upgrade. Why Nexus 6, because its a gift for me. For $199 during Amazon.com thanksgiving sale, its a steal of device.

Started using after unlocking the device with rooting, Frank Kernel on stock Marshmallow 6.0.1 update. Its great to be in Nexus line, phone can last as there are more than one developer helping you to be latest. Reason for me to get it rooted is I had to have Adfree running.

My initial feedback,
* Its big, I mean very big.
* Super camera. Not that I use it. Even on low light situation gets very good pictures.
* Very good display, however little saturated.
* Very nice battery backup. On 3G I get two full days back-up. My usage is mostly Whatsapp, Mail, listening to musing (device content).
* Supplied charger is awesome. I mean it does charging from 1% to 100% in an hour.
* I shouldn't be talking about speed as I came from Nexus S. My nexus S was on Kitkat (CM11), showing all signs of aging. Comparing with Mi 3, its fast... Comparing with iPhone 5, its fast! Average memory is tad under 900mb. Meaning full 2GB is free. Considering I never play any game, memory isn't a concern.
* Curved back is surprisingly easy to hold. Has enough grip. Sure its not metal!

*OS: Yes, its not in full stock in true sense. But still been using it in stock mode. There is not much in Marshmallow, which is not available in previous version of custom Rom. Amount of permission that you can control in stock rom is few compared to CM. I would like to auto run permissions control for at-least user apps. The toggles are obliviously better in custom ROM.
The things I like is,
* DND in toggles, pretty neat implementation, great help during office hours.
* Though I don't like app drawer concept in MM, frequently used app at top is nice.
* Simplistic camera interface, gets work done. Considering I take 1 picture for 1 month at most I am not hindered here.

* Moto doze, great feature to have for any phone. Its not as battery hungry as DT2W, and nice to use also. As soon as I hold phone, screen comes on.

Things I do not like in phone,

* No LED notification! Grrr...

Finally I have a phone which can be used for Taxi apps.

I am itching to get it custom rom installed. May be I am not meant to use it as stock.

The first thing before using, put Gagdetshieldz screen guard + Carbon fiber skin! There might be lots options to as screen guard, but I always use Gardgetshieldz on all phone (mine, wife;s, MIL's...). For me Its a worth for its price. Numerous fall on ground didn't result in any crack in devices that we used. Considering I have 5 year active kid, can't do without a guard. The carbon fiber skin makes phone look nice as well as grips well!

Last edited by RaguHolla : 13th January 2016 at 11:42.
Old 13th January 2016, 11:49   #22670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Aukey charger worth 3599/- is available for 999/- today at Amazon.in. The specs say that it is a 36W/7.2A 5 Ports USB Wall Charger.

Good Deal??
Its a terrific deal! I use a similar charger from Aukey and can vouch for it!
Old 13th January 2016, 11:55   #22671
BHPian

Any app to identify data speed : Moto G2

Hi, On MI3, We can see the data speed on the top of the screen.

Do we have similar app for Moto G2. Couldn't locate any settings to list the same in Moto G2.

Any pointers are highly appreciated
Old 13th January 2016, 12:00   #22672
BHPian

I don't think Lenovo is going to do a good job selling stuff. They have a great product portfolio but huge loopholes. Let me tell you guys about a funny scenario. I happen to have a Bajaj Finance card and don't use the run-of-the-mill ICICI/HDFC/StanChart etc card. I know, banking cards are more useable for online shopping but I don't use them. Now on this Bajaj Finance card, Reliance digital always offers free processing fees and give good EMI options too. Actually they give an 1000/- off on the MRP and then charge the 1000/- as processing fees, but the end result is the same.

Now I wanted to but the Vibe P1 and it's available on Flipkart which doesn't support Bajaj cards. But their Exclusive Stores have the option. So I dashed off to the nearest store to do the job. I called up the store to confirm that they had the said phone in stock in all colours and they offered Bajaj Finance option. They confirmed. I told them I'm on my way and would reach in half an hour. This was in evening about 7pm. I reached in time but a circus awaited me. As follows. Now turns out that Lenovo charges 900rs to 1000rs extra if you buy from the Store. Online is cheaper! Totally amazing fact. That's just the way it is. God knows why. On top of that, no discount. Plus here, the Bajaj finance guy says he will charge 1500/- for the transaction. He wasn't even there and communicated all this on phone to the dealer. Now all this crap pushed up the final cost of the phone by a cool 2450/- approx. Which, for a 15,999/- phone ultimately became around 18500/- odd. That's in a different zone/category of phone pricing altogether! I would rather have a higher spec phone for that cost! I gave the store guy a mouthful for wasting my time, money and energy and left.

All this hassle I went through just because I wanted that Lenovo real bad and these guys did all they could to prevent me from buying it!
Old 13th January 2016, 13:31   #22673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Aukey charger worth 3599/- is available for 999/- today ... ... ... Good Deal??
Probably not. This is not a turbo charger. Look for the Qualcom certification. On Aukey products, at least, the Qualcom Quickcharge 2.0 port[s] has a red insert.

On the other hand, if you just want to charge up several non-turbo devices at once, then it could be a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Now turns out that Lenovo charges 900rs to 1000rs extra if you buy from the Store. Online is cheaper! Totally amazing fact. That's just the way it is. God knows why.
Well, according to rest-of-the-world economics, it's normal. Stores have higher expenses per item sold. It is onlibne shopping that brought prices lower. Only in India did some companies get the idea of charging a convenience fee for saving themselves the store rental and the staff salaries!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th January 2016 at 13:41.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:08   #22674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Any app to identify data speed : Moto G2
Try Internet Speed Meter Lite - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ter.lite&hl=en
Old 13th January 2016, 15:16   #22675
Distinguished - BHPian

If anyone needs one plus x invites, send me a PM with your email I'd. I have three invites to share.
Old 13th January 2016, 16:02   #22676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, according to rest-of-the-world economics, it's normal. Stores have higher expenses per item sold. It is onlibne shopping that brought prices lower. Only in India did some companies get the idea of charging a convenience fee for saving themselves the store rental and the staff salaries!

Sounds legit. But then it should be the case for all the other stores too. Why does only Lenovo charge separately. Ezone, Reliance Digital, croma, etc all are much bigger stores with much more staff but they don't rip you off like this. Either Lenovo is greedy or then these other guys have a workaround solution which in the end benefits us customers. Either way, the Lenovo store is way costlier. Amazon, here I come....
Old 13th January 2016, 16:51   #22677
BHPian

I've got fed up with running around looking for chargers and power banks at conferences and day long events, where I need to do a lot of calling and emailing. My company has decided to scrap it's old blackberries and adopt a byod policy.

I was hoping to get a cheap phone that can just do email and calls (that's all), but should last ALL day with heavy usage.

Because I need to write long emails sometimes and multi-task while on call, it should be reasonably fast.

Oh, and yes. It should be cheap. I'm considering the Gionee Marathon M4, Asus Zenfone Max, Lenovo Vibe P1 and Vibe p1m. Any recommendations amongst these?
Old 13th January 2016, 17:07   #22678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've got fed up with running around looking for chargers and power banks at conferences and day long events, where I need to do a lot of calling and emailing. My company has decided to scrap it's old blackberries and adopt a byod policy.

I was hoping to get a cheap phone that can just do email and calls (that's all), but should last ALL day with heavy usage.

Because I need to write long emails sometimes and multi-task while on call, it should be reasonably fast.

Oh, and yes. It should be cheap. I'm considering the Gionee Marathon M4, Asus Zenfone Max, Lenovo Vibe P1 and Vibe p1m. Any recommendations amongst these?
If it is only battery life you're after, the Xiaomi RedMi 3 is coming in soon with a 4100 mAh cell!! And it will most probably cost around 10k or even lesser. And it has a 5.5" 1080p screen as well, so would be pretty easy to type on. I personally hate almost everything in OEM software apart from stock Android, but MIUI is still among the better skins out there.
Old 13th January 2016, 17:16   #22679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Sounds legit. But then it should be the case for all the other stores too. Why does only Lenovo charge separately. Ezone, Reliance Digital, croma, etc all are much bigger stores with much more staff but they don't rip you off like this. Either Lenovo is greedy or then these other guys have a workaround solution which in the end benefits us customers. Either way, the Lenovo store is way costlier. Amazon, here I come....
It might just be the e-tailers writing off the discount figure. The regular brick and mortar shops sell phones at wafer thin margins really. I recently bought the Nexus 5X. Looked around on the regular shops and the best price quoted was 26k. It was available for about 23k on Amazon. told the shopkeeper that and he flatly told me he cannot give the phone for anything less and cannot compete with Amazon price! Needless to say I got the phone from Amazon.
Old 13th January 2016, 17:28   #22680
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

what are the latest preferred power banks? I'm happy with my year old MI power bank (999 bucks) which does have some sort of quick charging.
I see Aukey has a certified quick charge 12000 mah power bank in 2799. Which one is the most recommended right now? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed