Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 11:41   #26116
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any good 4k video capable Android phone available under 30k? With 4k videos, I guess, it would also need a large on-board storage or at least an option for sd card.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:03   #26117
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been wondering that is Samsung really still doing extremely well compared to the competition? Every few days, I come across advertisements from E-commerce sites like Amazon and Flipkart about reduced prices and discounts on Apple iphone and Google pixel but I have never seen anything being offered on Samsung flagship devices, not even S7/S7edge which were last year offerings.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:14   #26118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
.... but just saw LG Q6 on Amazon. Basic mid range phone with 32GB internal storage and 3GB RAM with 5.5'' suits his requirement pretty well. Take a plunge and ordered.
There is a pleasant surprise of 3000/- extra off for exchanging any old phone. This offer is not mentioned/listed anywhere in the website.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 9th August 2017 at 14:15.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:38   #26119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
There is a pleasant surprise of 3000/- extra off for exchanging any old phone. This offer is not mentioned/listed anywhere in the website.
Yes you are absolutely correct. But anyway, Dad has no plan to change the phone, so never checked the exchange price. But, anyone planning to exchange old phone, the effective price drops down below 10K, which is too cool for a 32GB internal storage phone.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:17   #26120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Yes you are absolutely correct. But anyway, Dad has no plan to change the phone, so never checked the exchange price. But, anyone planning to exchange old phone, the effective price drops down below 10K, which is too cool for a 32GB internal storage phone.
Thanks for noticing this and writing this, and now I am tempted.
However, the lack of several features such as fingerprint scanner is holding me back.

Also, the phone may be fragile and I don't see any compatible covers to go with.

I have a SBI card as well to make this sweet, but am undecided.
Old 9th August 2017, 17:15   #26121
Senior - BHPian

Q6 has a pretty average battery life too. Main selling point is that brilliant screen but it lacks many features and has plastic build quality to really feel exciting.

Cheers...
Old 9th August 2017, 19:25   #26122
BHPian

Got the KEYONE today. It's only been a few hours but it feels like a mixed bag. I've been mashing away at the keyboard.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1502286851895.jpg

It's surprising how fast your thumbs return to their muscle memory. The battery life has been smashing but the phone feels a bit slower than the S7 edge.

The camera is fairly decent and not much noise. It still takes a little getting used to the keyboard always being there but hey, it's only day 1. So far so good. Let's see how this fairs. Haven't yet decided on whether or not to sell the s7.

Typing this on the keyboard and it sure feels good.

Attached is a random picture of a UM bike I saw at the traffic lights
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1502286832344.jpg
Old 9th August 2017, 19:50   #26123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Got the KEYONE today.....
Can you post a review once you've had a few days with the device? I'd love to move back to a tactile keyboard if it's worth the effort. Touch-typing simply isn't my thing, and I type a fair bit.
Old 9th August 2017, 21:21   #26124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Got the KEYONE today. It's only been a few hours but it feels like a mixed bag. I've been mashing away at the keyboard.
Awesome! Congrats. Waiting for your feedback once you spend more time with the phone.
The main grouse for me is the choice of processor for a phone costing almost 40k which is flagship territory but has a processor which is bang in the budget range. Not that it is a bad processor for day to day of most people but paying top dollar for a budget processor really makes you think multiple times. At times like this is when i feel the Iphone SE at 20k odd during the sale times is a good bet for a powerful mid range Iphone. I know it is not a comparison to the physical keyboard but charging a bomb for just the keyboard?? May not probably work in this day and age!
Old 10th August 2017, 06:59   #26125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Awesome! Congrats. Waiting for your feedback once you spend more time with the phone.
The main grouse for me is the choice of processor for a phone costing almost 40k which is flagship territory but has a processor which is bang in the budget range. Not that it is a bad processor for day to day of most people but paying top dollar for a budget processor really makes you think multiple times. At times like this is when i feel the Iphone SE at 20k odd during the sale times is a good bet for a powerful mid range Iphone. I know it is not a comparison to the physical keyboard but charging a bomb for just the keyboard?? May not probably work in this day and age!
It's been just one night, so it's still far too early, but the keyboard has become almost second nature as it used to be when I used to use a BlackBerry daily back until 2012. I quite like the keyboard.

I've noticed that the battery life is stellar and miles ahead of the s7 edge. I am only halfway through the battery despite using it like crazy all night.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1502328375718.jpg

The call quality is much louder than the S7 edge, but I feel the network signal is lower (S7 shows more bars and switches less often to 3G from 4G)

Also, I noticed that during the setup process, when Whatsapp and Google Photos were trying to bung in gigs of backed up data, the phone began to get a bit jittery but that was also when I closed all apps (had about 32 open), and peace was restored on earth.

Let's see how this plays out
Old 10th August 2017, 19:11   #26126
BHPian

So I am contemplating rooting my One Plus X and calling for some pointers from the knowledgeable folks here about the process.
Disclaimer: I am a noob to rooting and this is the first time I am attempting it.
The only reason I am planning to root my phone is to run GameKiller app on it for maybe 10 min ( talk about small needs and wants becoming big undertakings). Any other benefits like battery life improvements etc will only be nice to have but not necessary for me.

So I found 3 types of guidelines for rooting a One Plus X:
1. https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/g...p-more.401713/
2. https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...lus-x-t3242830
3. https://androidmtk.com/root-oneplus-x

While #1 and #2 both categorically state that all apps and data will be lost in the process, #3 states that apps and data will be left intact. Obviously, I would prefer not to lose apps and data, but don't know if that is possible since #1 seems much more official guideline, given where it is hosted.
Just to clarify, I do not need custom recovery or custom ROMs etc. Just a root to be able to run GameKiller.

So, is it possible to root without losing apps and data? Has anyone done it on One Plus X?
Old 10th August 2017, 19:30   #26127
BHPian

Recently purchased Lenovo K6 power for my wife. While trying to update the Android version message displayed is "No network available". This when I am in a WiFi environment with blazing speeds. Any work around?
Old 10th August 2017, 20:57   #26128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post

So, is it possible to root without losing apps and data? Has anyone done it on One Plus X?
Rooting is a complex procedure - you should be prepared to lose data. I would suggest backing up all data if possible to Google cloud. If you do lose data, a factory reset will enable you to "reinstall all apps". As long as the apps themselves have saved their data (such as photos) everything should be recoverable from the cloud.
In fact backup should be done either way - what if you lose your phone tomorrow (good forbid).
Old 10th August 2017, 23:11   #26129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
So I am contemplating rooting my One Plus X and calling for some pointers from the knowledgeable folks here about the process.
Disclaimer: I am a noob to rooting and this is the first time I am attempting it.
The only reason I am planning to root my phone is to run GameKiller app on it for maybe 10 min ( talk about small needs and wants becoming big undertakings). Any other benefits like battery life improvements etc will only be nice to have but not necessary for me.

So I found 3 types of guidelines for rooting a One Plus X:
1. https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/g...p-more.401713/
2. https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...lus-x-t3242830
3. https://androidmtk.com/root-oneplus-x

While #1 and #2 both categorically state that all apps and data will be lost in the process, #3 states that apps and data will be left intact. Obviously, I would prefer not to lose apps and data, but don't know if that is possible since #1 seems much more official guideline, given where it is hosted.
Just to clarify, I do not need custom recovery or custom ROMs etc. Just a root to be able to run GameKiller.

One will need to do a clean wipe of your phone when you do an unlock of your boot loader. A unlocked bootloader is the prerequisite for a custom recovery. So, any method of rooting that requires you to have a customer recovery like twrp will not work.

The easiest method is to use twrp, then use magisk. It will be a one time wipe when you do that, but after that you will be hooked on to custom roms.
Old 11th August 2017, 11:37   #26130
BHPian

Got MotoG5 Plus in the current sale. The phone is good. But I found out a glitch in rear camera.

If anyone of you guys are using this phone try changing the video to 1080p 60fps and just see the screen in low light conditions. You will be seeing a purple/Red haze on one of the corner.

Wow. What a bummer. I was worried and switched on lights to see it and viola its gone. so decided something is not right. Today i found the same issue in other moto G5 plus mobiles which my colleagues have.

Enquired with the big boss (Google) and most of the users have reported the same issue. Here is one of the video.

Got the below piece of info from a below. So does the company know about this below the launch and still they released the product or what has happened?

https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityL...c08629ba7d47ba

Quote:
For the camera sensors impacted by rear prox led(s) (which is to be indicated via devtree) send uevent upon camera power up/down. SAR (which by default enables rear prox(s)) can listen to this event and not enable rear prox(s)
The (unofficial) cause reason from lenovo forum

"It is only visible on black/dark situations. Ex: night videos, black background, etc. It is not visible on daylight. Suspecting could be the infrared light/sensor around the camera."

So its better to avoid 1080 60fps in low light and night video shooting. Other than this issue the camera is good.

Last edited by gm_arun : 11th August 2017 at 11:38. Reason: Made few corrections

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks