Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2010, 12:59   #16
BHPian

Thanks for all the info Amit. I'm hoping this Bada OS will take off in a big way as I like Samsung's vision of bringing smartphones to the masses.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It has an RTOS based platform which was being used for years under the hood but ultimately it may come on Linux based OS as well ( which is a parallel effort with in comp.)

The main proposition of bada is the bada server and services being planned. Also bada strategy is to push down downloadable apps and smartphone features down the food chain on where the featurephone lies. It is planned for a market which is 10 to 20 million phones every year.

The linux based OS is basically for very high end devices where as bada can be scaled to lower end devices

Also to conserve the resources application model is restrictive as of now.

1 year down the line app store may have lots of useful apps.
Thanks Amit.

It does mean smartphone for the masses by the looks of it. What I fail to understand is why all of this would not be possible on an Android OS and have the same slogan of more VFM at a lesser price point. Or you mean to say that having a QC regulated samsung application store going forward and having mass market phones would be a better business model than the fewer no of phones that form the android community owing to the high sticker prices.

What is noteworthy and praiseworthy is Samsung has got its profit margins set pretty low by having a reasonably priced highly specced/ Rich in fatures phone to attract attention and volumes. I guess that was the best way to introduce the new OS. They are using their might and resources well.

Does android OS or Linux based OS have any inherent design superiority which would would make them suitable for top tier phones over RTOS ( Real Time Operating system) based phones.

Was this new OS brewing for a fresh release inder the name "bada" atleast 4 or 5 years before it saw the daylight or these things take a couple of years .

For a version 1.0 release, it seems pretty good and wondering how the firmware updates will be planned.

Have you been able to lay your hands on the Samsung Wave if so what is your take.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
What I fail to understand is why all of this would not be possible on an Android OS and have the same slogan of more VFM at a lesser price point. Or you mean to say that having a QC regulated samsung application store going forward and having mass market phones would be a better business model than the fewer no of phones that form the android community owing to the high sticker prices.
Well I am not a Samsung marketing spokesperson but they have good lineup of Android phones as well. As a CE company strategy is to sell whatever the customer want to buy so an Android to Android customer, Windows moble to winmo customer and a bada to a customer who wants more features at less price.

Now to question on why it would not have been possible on Android. I think I touched upon that point in Android thread. The Application model is Java based using a Virtual Machine ( Dalvik) that requires more resources.

In most of the RTOS there is no memory section separation for processes so process is a task in Linux / windows terms ( lightweight process) . Also the scheduling algorithm are different this reduced the memory and footprint requirements but increases the programming challenges.
If this programming environment is to be provided to 3ed party then a lot of work need to be done at uppar layer and this effort is exactly bada.
Quote:
Does android OS or Linux based OS have any inherent design superiority which would would make them suitable for top tier phones over RTOS ( Real Time Operating system) based phones.
Android as you know uses Linux kernel but instead of regular Linux environment of GTK+ / GLib or QT + Glib uses a Java middle ware layer
also for kernal Android has forke as kernel.org has rejected android patches.
Linux was designed for multiple users multiple process and has scaled very well from embedded system to a high end server. There are thousands of open source libraries which provides an ready code base to scale up the system. As per one study I have IBM invests around 100 million every year in Linux and open source and get backs code worth more then 1 billion US$ every year. Advantages of Linux are so many that it is not possible to list them here.

But when something is scalable . modular ,portable then naturally the resource requirement will be higher then what it takes to build similar feature in a highly customized manner. Android further agrrevates the situation by the dalvik VM and it's programming environment.
Quote:
Have you been able to lay your hands on the Samsung Wave if so what is your take.
Really good and VFM if you do not consider download apps in market today.
- Games are much better in Wave because OpenGL APIs are available to 3ed party developers.
- Browser engine is webkit based and webview for apps uses the same.

Negatives

- No community like google Android.
- Does not have brand building like what google did for Android
- Open SDK closed platform
- Not enough online forums to debate , Argue endlessly :-)
Old 6th July 2010, 11:08   #19
BHPian

News on bada's future from samsung officials. Lot of activity happening in India.

The original link

Samsung bada may bring down smartphone prices - CIOL Interviews

extract from the link

CIOL:How do you plan to support your customers and developer community with bada?
JH:Currently, bada is running on 1 gigahrds device. But bada is designed to run on lower CPU speed as well. The new platform is not just a client-side platform. There is a whole back-end service infrastructure we have built up. Samsung bada differentiates its position by supporting various service-centric features such as social networking, device synchronization, content management, location-based services, and commerce services - all supported by back-end bada servers.
The device will go to market in India this month.

The developer community in India has an opportunity to develop India-specific applications. To encourage the developer community to develop applications, we are conducting Global Developer Day events. We have a tech support team at our R&D center in Bangalore with about 2,400 engineers. There is also a team set up to evangelize this bada platform and provide technical support to the developer community. The support team will be assisting anybody who wish to develop a application - it can be a student or a start-up company.

CIOL: How has been the response to the Samsung bada Developer Challenge?
JH:Typically, application developers do not have access to the actual product. With our R&D center in Bangalore, we have made the platform available for developers. Any developer can walk into our facility and test his/her application on the platform. We are also making sure that developers get all support possible in order to launch their application on our application store.

The highest number of entries for the challenge is from India. The Challenge is the first chance for developers to win a share of a US$2,700,000 prize fund, simply by using the features of the new bada platform to build a wide variety of applications for bada devices.The Samsung bada Champion (Ist Prize winner) wins a grand prize of US$300,000.

The competition is one of the largest ever for developers of mobile software and is testament to Samsung’s commitment to the new bada platform.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Any developer can walk into our facility and test his/her application on the platform. We are also making sure that developers get all support possible in order to launch their application on our application store.
Well Dr.Jun Soong ( Justin) Hong is a nice chap but any developer walking in to test his /her application seems bit overstated
Old 14th July 2010, 11:39   #21
BHPian

Recently bought my Samsung Wave S8500. With Bada OS.

Good Phone interms of the Quality and Performance. It has a Aluminum body, the phone is Just 4 days old so i cannot comment much on this, So far the phone performs good and speed of the phone is also very good, Camera is excellent with a very high resolution Amoled Screen. You have to see it to belive it. The Bada OS is almost like Android and fast too. No lags as it comes with 1Gig processor. Bought it for 18K.

Network 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
3G (WCDMA/ HSDPA) : 900/2100 MHz
Display 3.3" WVGA (480×800) Super AMOLED with mDNIe
Camera 5.0 Megapixel camera w/ LED Flash, AF
Face/Blink Detection, Vintage Shot, Beauty Shot,
Smile Shot, Panorama Shot, Geo-tagging, Image Editor
Video HD(720p) video playing & recording
5.1ch Mobile Theater
MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV,DivX, XviD Video Editor
Audio Music Player with SoundAlive, Music Recognition, DISK UI,
3.5mm Ear Jack, FM Radio/ Recording
Value-added
Features Integrated Messaging ´Social Hub´
Samsung Apps
TouchWiz 3.0 w/Integrated phonebook, Voice & Motion UI
Dolfin Browser 2.0 / Pinch Zoom(Multi-pointed zoom)
A-GPS, On/off Board Navigation(2D/3D Map), LBS
SMS/ MMS/ Email/ Video Messaging/Exchange ActiveSync
Accelerator Sensor, Proximity Sensor, GeoMagnetic Sensor
BPP(Basic Printing Profile), OPP(Object Push Profile),
PictBridge (USB Printing)
Offline & No SIM Mode,
RSS Reader, Communities & Mobile Widgets
Connectivity Bluetooth technology v 3.0
USB v2.0 (Full -Speed)
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Memory 2GB + microSD (Up to 32GB)
Size 118 x 56 x 10.9mm
Battery (Standard) Li-Ion, 1,500 mAh

Last edited by tabrez02 : 14th July 2010 at 11:43.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
congrats tabrez02,

Did you download the NFS game which is free. I too bought a black one last week. The Phone crossed the million mark in sales. Looks like the bada OS has got the initial thrust.

Last edited by muni : 14th July 2010 at 11:54.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:02   #23
BHPian

No i have not downloaded yet, but i will download it and check it.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default 1 Million Samsung Wave in 4 Weeks

Samsung sold 1 million Samsung Wave within 4 weeks of launch. It is quite substantial sale. It is selling as hot cake. Still, Samsung Wave not reached to all of the world markets.

More than 300 Applications now available in Samsung AppStore and I project at the end of 1 year application could will reach 3K - 5K approximately.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Wave owners,
How is doc viewer in Wave? need to know about .doc(x), .xls(x) and pdf
Is there any ebook reader from Samsung app store?
Old 17th July 2010, 12:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congrats tabrez02,

Did you download the NFS game which is free. I too bought a black one last week. The Phone crossed the million mark in sales. Looks like the bada OS has got the initial thrust.
I have downloaded the NFS shift for the wave and must say im impressed with the quality of the game!!
Wave owners hurry only first 500,000 downloads of NFS is free.
i also got a 16 gb mem(filled to the brim,waiting for 32gb card prices to come down ) card for the wave and a new pair of sennheisers .Phone has officially become my media center.
Not to mention excellent battery life with excessive 3g /video/wifi usage.

I have downloaded Ton's of apps for the wave ,some silly ones also and im impressed with the number of apps coming in just 1 month for one phone!

Samsung Wave :the Most VFM smartphone available today.

@rajesh, i think i saw an ebook reader somewhere in the app store.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:22   #27
BHPian

The top applications downloaded by wave owners as of now are
  1. SouthAfrica2010 (developed by Mubaloo)
  2. Hit My Boss (developed by Rightbrain Communications)
  3. Reaction Test (developed by ABC Solution)
  4. Basket Ball (developed by Uangel)
  5. Brain Training (developed by bluepin)
Have got the above info from this lilnk..

Samsung reveals top Bada apps for the Wave

If you see the comment in that link, it talks about version 1.1 to be released and the possibility of the currrent firmware versions having memory pblms due to lack of garbage collector feature which is non existant in c++. Experts can throw some light on this.

The current firmware version is DDJF4 and the Kies application says that mine is DDJF1 and DDJF2 is the latest firmware.

The Indian region Kies installation is a bit funny with all the Hindi ( no offense to Hindi but I would also prefer English as an option with India region installation)

Is there any place where we can know what these firmwares actually have addressed.

The Kies application is painfully slow in downloading and making it recognise the mobile is always a pblm. Firmware updates through Kies takes hours and there have been a lots of issues reported by people.
Hope the samsung guys finetune Kies first.

The Wave as a phone is quite good compared to the competition for what it offers for the price.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post

Good Phone interms of the Quality and Performance. It has a Aluminum body, the phone is Just 4 days old so i cannot comment much on this, So far the phone performs good and speed of the phone is also very good. Camera is excellent with a very high resolution Amoled Screen.
Hey Tabrez,

It's been almost a month now you've got your Wave. How is it performing? How is the phone when it comes to connectivity, GPS navigation, browsing and photo/video capturing?

And other wave owners, can you please comment on the above mentioned aspects of Samsung Wave?
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

The biggest threat to Bada is from its maker Samsung, they have a tendency to work on multiple technologies at same time, which results in half baked cakes.I found bada cool enough to take off.Samsung has a habit to launch its products with incomplete R&D, which results in glitches.In this case it is Kies, which has its own set of problems.
Even i cant comment on my Wave as its just 4 days old.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tarbez,

You are using your Wave almost for 20 days. Please let us know the performance report. Some of us are waiting for the result to move towards Wave or galaxy. Do Take some time to report some thing on it.
Closed Thread