Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 11:18   #61
BHPian
 
johy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 837
Thanked: 370 Times
Default

Kpblatt, did you get your projector. I am in the same dilemma. I asked BenQ ...they recommended the MP512 ST. Said it would serve me well..
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:02   #62
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Cool demo of Epson EB-W6 projector

I had the Epson guy visit me last Saturday. He gave us a demo of the EPSON WB-W6 3LCD projector at home. I have a light green colour on the wall. i haven't taken any snaps so would not be able to give a full review of the demo. However wife and kids are sold on the projector . I am attaching the spec sheet of the projector. I am still trying to have Benq guys visit me so that i can see the demo of a DLP projector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EB-X6_S6_W6_spec.pdf (326.8 KB, 336 views)
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:19   #63
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,229
Thanked: 21,890 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
I had the Epson guy visit me last Saturday. He gave us a demo of the EPSON WB-W6....
Hi kp,

Sorry if i missed you mentioning it earlier, but what is the total price of the W6 ?

What is the resolution (and price) of the BenQ DLP in comparison?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:36   #64
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi kp,

Sorry if i missed you mentioning it earlier, but what is the total price of the W6 ?

What is the resolution (and price) of the BenQ DLP in comparison?

cya
R
the Epson W6 WXGA 2000 lumens 720p Projector retails for 48K + taxes + 6K for a manual pull down screen.
Lamp Life 3000 hours (High brightness mode) / 4000 hours (Low brightness mode) Wall color correction
Detailed specs in the spec sheet.

Benq MP730 WXGA 2200 lumens retails for 49700 +taxes + 6K for a manual pull down screen
Lamp Life 3000 hours (High brightness mode) / 4000 hours (Low brightness mode) Wall color correction
Detailed specs here :
http://www.benq.co.in/products/Proje...specifications
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:11   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

problem with these projectors is that, all these uses very expensive bulbs. For eg: i had infocus, bulb alone cost 33k. and after certain hours it bursts. so a mandatory replacement.

later i bought reconditioned NEC,@ 21k. Its working like a charm.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 11:34   #66
BHPian
 
chaxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 387
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
the Epson W6 WXGA 2000 lumens 720p Projector retails for 48K + taxes + 6K for a manual pull down screen.
Lamp Life 3000 hours (High brightness mode) / 4000 hours (Low brightness mode) Wall color correction
Detailed specs in the spec sheet.

Benq MP730 WXGA 2200 lumens retails for 49700 +taxes + 6K for a manual pull down screen
Lamp Life 3000 hours (High brightness mode) / 4000 hours (Low brightness mode) Wall color correction
Detailed specs here :
BenQ India - Consumer Electronics

The Benq MP730 seems to be a data projector that is more suitable for business presentations. Also the specs are giving a contrast ratio of 700:1 which is less.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 13:49   #67
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
The Benq MP730 seems to be a data projector that is more suitable for business presentations. Also the specs are giving a contrast ratio of 700:1 which is less.
That is correct. Benq does have home theater projectors but none available in India. I am keen on seeing a demo of a couple of DLP projectors to get a good comparison between 3LCD and DLP before making a final call. I have seen some on the HP, and Dell sites but have no idea where can i get a demo for them. Here is a reference comparison of features of 3 Projectors ( i was not considering the SP830 for purchase. it was only for reference.

Compare Projectors at About Projectors

Last edited by kpbhatt : 24th December 2008 at 14:05. Reason: added link for comparison
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 13:44   #68
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Post update on Dell Projectors

i had put in a request at the DELL site for their projectors and I am attaching the response below. I am not going in for DELL-- the proof is in the pudding and Dell wants me to buy and try the pudding first and then think whether this is what i wanted in the first place. I am leaning towards the EPSON EB-W6 since the guy was friendly explained me features better -- even suggest what would be the best way to setup the projector and screen in my home. I will wait for my marriage anniv to make this purchase. This would be a gift for my wife

Email from Dell (read from below):

hi Harish,

Thanks for the immediate response.
regards
Kalpesh.


On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:59 AM, <Harish_C@dell.com> wrote:
Dear Kalpesh,
We will not be able to arrange for a DEMO; however we have a policy called TSP ( total satisfaction policy) according to which you can buy the unit & use it for a month. In case you are not happy with the product you can return the same & we will refund the entire amount except the shipping charges.

You can refer the web site for the technical details on the projector. In case you need more details please reply with the phone number so that I can call you & discuss the same.




Regards,
Harish C

From: Kalpesh [mailto:kapubhatt@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 11:08 AM
To: C, Harish
Subject: Re: Dell Projector


hi Harish,

Thanks for the details on the prices. Since this purchase is for home usage, I am more keen on seeing a demo of this product before making any purchase decision. Do let me know if its feasible to have a demo in store or at home for the 2 products mentioned below :
M 109 S : 40748/- ( this is with a 3 year warranty)
1209 S : 53480/-

thanks and regards,
Kalpesh.
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 9:52 AM, <Harish_C@dell.com> wrote:
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your interest in Dell!!
Please find the price details for the projector of your choice. The price indicated is including of taxes, delivery & 3 year replacement warranty. You can make a credit card payment / DD payment. Once the order is placed you can expect this to be delivered in about 15 working days, as we are shipping this from Malaysia . For more information & processing the order please get in touch with me, you can send me a mail or can reach me on the landline number that is mentioned below
M 209 X :88488/-
M 109 S : 40748/- ( this is with a 3 year warranty)
1209 S : 53480/-
Regards,

Harish Chandrashekar
Sales Account Manager
Dell India Pvt Ltd
Direct number :080-25068540
Fax number :080-25068500
E Mail id :Harish_C@Dell.com







Last edited by kpbhatt : 26th December 2008 at 14:02.
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:18   #69
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
problem with these projectors is that, all these uses very expensive bulbs. For eg: i had infocus, bulb alone cost 33k. and after certain hours it bursts. so a mandatory replacement.

later i bought reconditioned NEC,@ 21k. Its working like a charm.
True. And most of these lamps have a life of about 2000 to 2500 hours. Which means at about 8 hours of watching per day, its less than one year! Unless the warranty covers this, the overall TCO of a projector setup may turn out to be much higher than a flat panel TV.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:24   #70
BHPian
 
chaxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 387
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Here is the spec of my dedicated HT room.

Projector - Optoma Hd65 is driven by Sony DVP-NS708HP DVD system with 1080p upscaling through HDMI (altho the projector does 720p). Sound is processed through kenwood 5 speaker HT system (being upgraded to Onkyo HTS5100-7.1ch). Projecting onto a 92" Panoview mattwhite 16x9 screen from 10.5' distance. Room Size - 16'x11'. Have a universal ceiling mount but yet to ceiling mount it. One thing that you need to be sure is that you have a dedicated room with light control.
Here is what it looks like (actually it is much better)
Attached Images
 

Last edited by chaxy : 26th December 2008 at 18:26.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 21:57   #71
BHPian
 
ece2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 435
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

i am using benq w100 and am extremely happy with it. it has got good clarity and the long lamp life is a plus point. I purchased it in US for 400+ USD.

- karthik.
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 23:21   #72
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
i am using benq w100 and am extremely happy with it. it has got good clarity and the long lamp life is a plus point. I purchased it in US for 400+ USD.

- karthik.
i had seen this in a deal on buy.com in Feb 07 and did not purchase it . Still regretting that decision. Its still not available in India
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:30   #73
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Exclamation Update on Epson

I requested the Epson guy for a second demo on Christmas eve . This time @ my sister, bro-in-law, my parents were to see the demo along with my wife and kids. The epson guy was hinting at a possible price decrease in the new year . No snaps of the demo . Was too engrossed in the discussion on the specs and the clarity and where to keep the projector and where to have the screen installed. I am attaching a detailed spec sheet he gave ( this is a different one that the one attached earlier ). I am going to postpone this purchase till the month end to match it with my anniversary. Lets see how things shape up on the job front in the beginning of 2009. That will decide whether i end up buying it or stalling the decision for some more time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W6.pdf (1,021.5 KB, 232 views)
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:08   #74
BHPian
 
chaxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 387
Thanked: 16 Times
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
I requested the Epson guy for a second demo on Christmas eve . This time @ my sister, bro-in-law, my parents were to see the demo along with my wife and kids. The epson guy was hinting at a possible price decrease in the new year . No snaps of the demo . Was too engrossed in the discussion on the specs and the clarity and where to keep the projector and where to have the screen installed. I am attaching a detailed spec sheet he gave ( this is a different one that the one attached earlier ). I am going to postpone this purchase till the month end to match it with my anniversary. Lets see how things shape up on the job front in the beginning of 2009. That will decide whether i end up buying it or stalling the decision for some more time.
The spec of the W6 looks quite impressive for the cost. i was wondering if it has lens shift which is generally found on most LCD projectors. Also please demo it with a standard Rs99 DVD of some hindi movie to see how it will look with indian movies. Most vendors demo the projecotors with demo material thats optimized for their projectors.

Also if you are working out your budget for the projector i hope you have factored the below four cost dimensions.
1. UPS (battery backup of atleast 800VA) - 4k. Power fluctuation will easily blow up the lamp.
2. DVD player with HDMI (5K) unless you already have one. Forget the component cables and s-video when you have HDMI input.
3. Also additional cost of AV equipment (5.1) if you are looking for true HT experience. Now that varies a lot.
4. Cost for cables. This depends on your placement of equipment and how you plan to mount the projector. For example a 30 ft HDMI cost anywhere between 3k to 5k. Also a VGA cable for PC.

Happy anniversary!

Last edited by chaxy : 4th January 2009 at 12:22.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 15:40   #75
BHPian
 
kpbhatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 347
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
The spec of the W6 looks quite impressive for the cost. i was wondering if it has lens shift which is generally found on most LCD projectors. Also please demo it with a standard Rs99 DVD of some hindi movie to see how it will look with indian movies. Most vendors demo the projectors with demo material that's optimized for their projectors.

Also if you are working out your budget for the projector i hope you have factored the below four cost dimensions.
1. UPS (battery backup of at least 800VA) - 4k. Power fluctuation will easily blow up the lamp.
2. DVD player with HDMI (5K) unless you already have one. Forget the component cables and s-video when you have HDMI input.
3. Also additional cost of AV equipment (5.1) if you are looking for true HT experience. Now that varies a lot.
4. Cost for cables. This depends on your placement of equipment and how you plan to mount the projector. For example a 30 ft HDMI cost anywhere between 3k to 5k. Also a VGA cable for PC.

Happy anniversary!
hi,

I had the demo done on my new laptop HP DV5 1104 AX -- i did not have hdmi cable but i played the Jungle book DVD with a VGA cable connected.

Next i connected the Tata Sky STB to the projector and did a demo of Ice age movie being broadcasted on a kids channel. I also switched to a sports channel to see how good a cricket match looks on a 60 inch screen size.

I already have a Philips non HDMI DVD player, a Pioneer HT 2500 5.1 1000 W Output HT; I have to invest in a UPS and a stabilized to take care of the Projector. I will be keeping the projector close to the TV, STB and the HT setup with a wall unit. I will occasionally connect it to my laptop and the Nintendo Gamecube for Gaming usage.
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Designing a Home Theatre System Samurai Gadgets, Computers & Software 47 26th February 2014 12:56
Speaker Wires and RCA for Home Theatre viper Gadgets, Computers & Software 51 13th July 2009 06:48
Sony home theatre chetan Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 9th June 2009 09:23
Advice on Home Theatre Amplifier ash_edged Gadgets, Computers & Software 18 25th February 2008 19:01
Advice for Home Theatre viper Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 13th May 2006 09:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks