Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th November 2009, 22:45   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - WDAVN00BN - Buy.com

What I want from experienced guys is how do I know if it is the new version or the old?

Thanks
Thats the old version, go for the new version - "Live" / WD2. Its got LAN support and DTS downmix. Available from amazon.

WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBAAN0000NBK )

Cheers
Pretorian.
Pretorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 12:35   #197
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Samurai and @Pretorian.
I found that the new version costs 50% more and has an added feature of an ethernet connection. But I have bsnl broadband and I don't think I can put that ethernet feature to much use owing to limited speed.

In any case, watching YouTube etc can be done on my computer. I am going for this player only to watch HD content on my Panny Plasma, so I'll stick to the older version.

My pal is returning after a couple of weeks from the US, and in the meantime I will by a 1 TB external hard disk---probably Seagate because it offers a 5-year warranty as against 3 years by WD.

Once I have both, I shall be consulting you gurus on how to get HD content.

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th November 2009 at 12:37.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 13:41   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
@Samurai

Try the DivX PRO converter ($19.99)

With DivX 7, encoding to H.264 (MKV) is fully supported and you should be able to create compressed HD videos from DVDs with their DivX Converter MPEG-2/DVD Plug-in ($9.99)

DivX Pro 7 | DivX.com

Get a trial version and then evaluate. I've not tried this personally.
Out of sheer stupidity, I bought both of them paying $29.98 in one shot. It is incapable of reading single DVD until now. Total waste of money.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 19:07   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My pal is returning after a couple of weeks from the US, and in the meantime I will by a 1 TB external hard disk---probably Seagate because it offers a 5-year warranty as against 3 years by WD.
Don't. Seagate is lot less reliable compared to WD.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:19   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Out of sheer stupidity, I bought both of them paying $29.98 in one shot. It is incapable of reading single DVD until now. Total waste of money.
Hey Samurai, can it be because of the copyright protection methods rather then being issue with software? I tried to do the same with handbrake and auto goridian knot but both failed. Then I installed AnyDVD(trial version) and ripped the DVD to the HDD. As that removes the security things(CSS encryption and some stuff like that) now I can use handbrake to convert ripped DVD to anything. But it's a two way process. Can someone please confirm if I use DVD43 (which also helps reading DVD with encryption) in the background, can I use Handbrake or AGK to rip the DVD directly?
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 23:52   #201
Team-BHP Support

Actually, the only trouble with MakeMKV is the size of the file, and that you can't create chapters. I am sticking to MakeMKV which does whole job very fast and without fuss.

BTW, it was a false alarm about the 1.03.01 firmware for WDTV. The optical cable had come loose when I had moved the WDTV. Now it is fine, the menu is lot faster now with the new firmware.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:53   #202
BHPian

Anyone who purchased Xtreamer from India dealer has found out if they can get the e-Trayz offer? Has anyone ordered it?

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th February 2010 at 19:01. Reason: Post edited as the post you quoted was removed.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 12:10   #203
Senior - BHPian

Default Strange problem with WD HDTV

I recently acquired a WD HD TV Media Player from Amazon.

I connected the unit to my LG LCD using RCA and it played as its supposed to. However, no HD and no upscaling happens in this mode.

Then I got an HDMI cable and connected via the cable.

Although the output and sound is great when connected thru HDMI, I have encountered a strange issue of late.

Whenever I switch on the WD player and put my TV input mode on HDMI, many a times, the TV display still shows 'No Signal'. I have to repeatedly switch off the WD player and the TV, and then re-start to get the signal.

I tried to connect on both unused HDMI ports on my LCD, but the problem still remains.

All this while, the power light, as well as the USB light are glowing on the WD player. The HD also spins and its light flickers, indicating that it has been powered on.

However, there is no display on the TV.

Why is this happening? I have updated the firmware to 1.02.07 and recently to 1.03 as well. The problem still persists. Any answers?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 12:40   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys

This Site Mentions one model has Composite Video Output(WDTV Live) & other(WDTV) has Component Video output, whats the difference?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 12:46   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Guys

This Site Mentions one model has Composite Video Output(WDTV Live) & other(WDTV) has Component Video output, whats the difference?
AFAIK, the oldest technology offered composite video---the one that had a single slot and wire for video, and 2 for audio--left and right. Those cables generally were in red, yellow and white.

Later S-video came into picture, where a single slot for an S-video cable offered superior video output.

Then came the component video that had 3 slots/ wires only for video, and 2 for audio.

The latest is hdmi that has a single slot and cable for both audio and video.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 13:14   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks vnabhi. I was asking as I was not sure which one my TV supports.

I got This link from Samurai & I see that my TV supports both
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 10:07   #207
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Guys am sorry I didn't know where to put this.
I am planning to buy a Archos 7 media tablet.
I would please like your views on the same.
My main purpose would be listening to music and watching videos.
I have an Ipod but the capacity isn't enough as i have upwards of 200 gb of music and videos.
Any other suggestions please let me know.
This costs around 350 dollars and the one feature I really like is its got Wifi and touchscreen.
Please give me alternatives and thoughts on the same.
It's also got a 720p hd screen.
Regards
Arjun
Attached Images

arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 15:44   #208
BHPian

nice - have seen this a lot in singapore/malaysia and south east asia
archos is a decent brand as well.....
good luck.
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 15:57   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi,
Guys am sorry I didn't know where to put this.
I am planning to buy a Archos 7 media tablet.
I would please like your views on the same.
My main purpose would be listening to music and watching videos.
I have an Ipod but the capacity isn't enough as i have upwards of 200 gb of music and videos.
Any other suggestions please let me know.
This costs around 350 dollars and the one feature I really like is its got Wifi and touchscreen.
Please give me alternatives and thoughts on the same.
It's also got a 720p hd screen.
Regards
Arjun
Its one of the better PMP available in the market. Though there are some issues with the player, i feel its worth it. even i am considering an Archos 5, little brother of 7. Checked it out recently at Best Buy. Here are some thoughts

some things you should be aware of before buying Archos 7
- in order to get it fully working(maximum use), you will have to buy codecs, dvr station, which will cost extra money. and after adding all this to its initial price, its quite expensive, easily crossing $450 mark.
it also has sluggish web browsing so in case wi-fi usage is your priority, you will be disappointed.
Audio quality is average, you will need to invest in better earphones, supplied ones are crap, though this is good for almost all manufacturers, but after paying $400 bucks i expect better IEMs.
Battery life is good, Video playback is very good, Screen is superb, when viewed on TV has excellent quality too.

there are a few alternatives, though nothing matches archos 7 in terms of screen size and capacity.
Zune HD, Ipod Touch, Sony X Series

Just my opinon

Last edited by chevelle : 21st November 2009 at 16:01.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 09:25   #210
Senior - BHPian

Can i please know why you are going for the archos 5 instead of the 7.Just curious.
What are the advantages of the 5 over the 7 ?
I read Archos 5 has a sim card slot ? can you please tell me something about that ?
Regards
Arjun
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote