Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th November 2009, 18:30   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Your Home Theatre System means your A/V Receiver I suppose. I don't recall ever seeing an A/V Receiver without digital input. I only use the digital out, therefore trouble with sound at all.
So are you using the Toslink cable? I use my Home Theatre system only for better sound---my audio out from the Plasma is connected to the audio in on the Home Theatre system.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2009 at 20:39. Reason: typo in my post
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 19:06   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So are you using the Toslink cable? I use my Home Theatre system only for better sound---my audio out from the Plasma is connected to the audio in on the Home Theatre system.
Ideally, you should get the sound output from your media playing device to the home theator system, rather than routing it via your plasma.

OT: Has anyone got / ordered Xtreamer eTrayz? Just wanted to know if someone has already ordered and if I can get some first hand review on it!
I have already ordered one and waiting on shipping. I shall be able to provide some inputs once I start using it, my requirements going to be limited though.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 20:42   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My HTS is setup like this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...re-system.html

I use the TV speakers only for Tata Sky.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 10:24   #229
BHPian

^ Is it because you have only composite output on your T-Sky? What I have done is used two different composite cables. One for video that goes from T-Sky to TV directly and second one for audio going to HTS.
presently the only device where I use TV speakers is Xbox, the HDMI output from Xbox is just going to be a pass thru audio and I will hvae to do alternate arrangement (cables) for a seperate digital audio for that (which my kid is not demanding at the moment) - rest all devices have digital audio o/p that I can feed to HTS easily.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:48   #230
BHPian

Venu, you are still having trouble with DTS? There are free tools available on the net which will convert the audio from DTS to AC3 6 channel, which can then be decoded by your WDTV (but I guess it only decodes it as 2 channel stereo). The source files are in .mkv format, I assume since this is the only format the converter will work with. Hang on while I dig for the linky

EDIT: Here is the download link:
http://audioconverter.heartware.dk

Guide:
Tutorial for converting audio tracks with HeartWare MKV Audio Converter

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 30th November 2009 at 10:56.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 10:58   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Venu, you are still having trouble with DTS? There are free tools available on the net which will convert the audio from DTS to AC3 6 channel, which can then be decoded by your WDTV (but I guess it only decodes it as 2 channel stereo). The source files are in .mkv format, I assume since this is the only format the converter will work with. Hang on while I dig for the linky
Thanks Anurag---you are a saviour. Nearly 70% of the HD movies I have got hold of are in Digital format, which means I am sunk.

Do let me know whatever you get.

I know that the optimum way to utilize the output is to connect the WD Player to the Home Theatre System.But I am forced to direct the output from the Plasma to the HTS as there is no hdmi input on the HTS---it is an 8 year old Panasonic Home Theatre system that merely has an S Video output apart from AV inputs and outputs. I had paid neary 33 K for it and don't wanna dispose of it---it also plays the 100s of cassettes that I still have. It also has a 5-CD changer that plays Mp3 too, apart from DVDs and VCDs
Old 30th November 2009, 22:23   #232
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Anurag, I was able to download the requisite software to convert DTS tracks to Dolby Digital---each movie takes about 25 minutes to convert, and I've already converted and tested two.

Anurag---I will buy you your favourite lemonade when we meet next.

I've also applied the upgrade patch to the WD player and now the look and feel is better.

Cheers!
Old 1st December 2009, 12:45   #233
BHPian

Venu, glad that you got the solution. And I am never one to say no to a free drink of course....
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 08:44   #234
BHPian

Guys,

I'm planning to buy a 3.5 internal HDD for my e-Trayz. I'm looking for 2TB (unless 1.5TB is way cheaper than 2TB).

I guess, I've got two options here.

1> Segate
2> WD

I understand that WD has got less failure rate but Segate gives around 5 years warranty. Looking at the warranty period by Segate (and couple of my friends got replacement on bad blocks if I remember right), do you think its good to go for Segate?
To start with my application will be storing movies and little bit of other data, not sure if I'm going to store critical data (that needs backup) on this.
Your inputs are welcome.
Old 14th March 2010, 09:34   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Guys,

I'm planning to buy a 3.5 internal HDD for my e-Trayz. I'm looking for 2TB (unless 1.5TB is way cheaper than 2TB).
Hi Ketan,

What are the ongoing prices for 1TB and 2TB ?
i.e. in Bangalore.

I too am thinking of getting a new disk for my PCH

-Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 09:44   #236
BHPian

@computerwarehouse website, I see 1TB Sata (WD) at around 4.5K and 2TB at 9450 (WD again).
2TB (segate) @ 9850. However, we should be able to bargain bit more once we go to SP road, this can just be indicative prices.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:14   #237
Senior - BHPian

Since my brother was travelling, i picked up his WDTV for 3 months and i just love the thing. I have to return it in May, so i been thinking about purchasing it. I looked at the new model Live, but seems like the only difference is added Ethernet support (where's Wifi?).

Any other players i should look at? To me the format support is a must - must play various mpeg4 formats and should support mkv container. I dont care much about music, photos etc.

Picking it up from Amazon. Cost is said as 99$ with free shipping. Newegg has refurbished ones for 60$, but i usually stay away from refurbished.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:11   #238
BHPian

^ There are other options if you are planning to play various formats. WD had still got limited formats even with the latest model per my understanding.
Look for Xtreamer and other digital media players that can paly multiple formats. However, go for something with better support and market value where you get frequent firmware accomodating new formats and fixing issues around.

We should be seeing this technology soon integrated within the STB or may be in the TV itself in near future, but I guess it will be lil far for India to see that happening.

Dont look for wifi unless you are sure going to have N series or higher. Media streaming will need good bw if you are playing 8GB movie. I have prefer / connected mine using cable eventhough I have wifi anteena.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Ketan - thanks for your response. My main asks are Mpeg4 and MKV and currently WDTV supports almost all of them. Xtreamer is costs 50% more (WDTV is 99$, WDTV Live 119, XStreamer 149$). Any key reasons why the premium is justified?

STBs - yes that should take some time. Well, technically my DVD Player and Wii console can play the files from USB HDD, but the results aren't as pretty as WDTV and they choke on 1080p HD media.

LAN/WiFi isn't a main criteria, thats why i was looking at WDTV instead of the Live version. But if i have to connect i would prefer WiFi over wired Ethernet (and i have a N).
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:54   #240
BHPian

I think you should also checkout ASUS O'Play
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote