Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th April 2014, 12:21   #391
BHPian

Default Re: Amazon Fire TV - Streaming device

Well, I just ordered the chromecast 3 days back on amazon. Will try this and then see if upgrading to the amazon fire TV makes sense...
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 19:08   #392
BHPian

Default Re: Networked Media Players - Play External HDD Content on TV

I'm looking for suggestions on buying a N router + N usb wifi adapter for my WDTV Live (first generation-- model-WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN).

I'm currently using it with wired connection on my wifi G router.
I want to upgrade to wireless. One of the most confusing thing is many of the wifi adapters listed in the WDC support site works with exact revision /version numbers mentioned there. In the market whatever easily available are either with different version number or model numbers.

This is the page where they list all supported usb devices.

I'm planning Netgear N300 WIRELESS ROUTER (JWNR2000) or D-Link DIR-605L model.
If anyone using similar models , please suggest the best supported wifi adapter combination for watching HD videos without bandwidth /slutter issues.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 18:47   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Check out the TP-link WDR3600 or the WDR3500. Both are extremely highly rated (on sites like newegg etc), and are priced quite well.

The difference between the two is that the 3600 has gigabit ports and USB, whilst the 3500 doesn't.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 19:05   #394
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions on buying a N router + N usb wifi adapter for my WDTV Live (first generation-- model-WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN).

I'm currently using it with wired connection on my wifi G router.
I want to upgrade to wireless. One of the most confusing thing is many of the wifi adapters listed in the WDC support site works with exact revision /version numbers mentioned there. In the market whatever easily available are either with different version number or model numbers.

This is the page where they list all supported usb devices.

If anyone using similar models , please suggest the best supported wifi adapter combination for watching HD videos without bandwidth /slutter issues.
If you want to be on the safer side buy Netgear WNCE2001, it is universal http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-wnce...FUlxvAodbUIAYQ

This will work with any device that has a network port.
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 23:10   #395
BHPian

Thank you Rehaan and rbp for suggestions.
The TP-link WDR3600 one looks great value product from its specification and its open-wrt compatibility.

Which USB network adapter would be the best combo with this router?
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the constraint with WDTV live is that , it support only a handful of usb adapters (that too some specific versions.). So, before placing orders, I'd like to get suggestion for best combo of router+usb adapter which work smoothly on for 1080 videos and hd youtube videos.
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:59   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Rehaan and rbp for suggestions.
The TP-link WDR3600 one looks great value product from its specification and its open-wrt compatibility.
It sure is one of the cheapest routers with dual USB. However, don't rely on it for great Wi-Fi connectivity. 5GHz connectivity range is below average. If you only want N300 single band, then 2.4GHz has very good range on this router. This router also has the most amount of RAM (128MB) in the price range and works well for heavy duty QoS and DLNA. HDD streaming of 1080 movies works well for only 1device as the USB data rate is about 4-5 MB/s. 720p works better for multiple devices like tablet/TV simultaneously.

Overall, for the price, I consider this router to be a fair deal. If you can stretch your budget and want better performance and future-proofing, you can go for ASUS N66u. WDR 4300 (slightly expensive) is plagued with the same issues as the chipset is the same.

Source: I own the WDR 3600
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 20:41   #397
BHPian

My first attempt for a WDTV live compatible wifi adapter failed.
Ordered one TL-WN821N ,model as it was listed on WDTV support page.
But unfortunately the version which I got was 4.2 , which has some other chipset than previous versions (1,2,3).

Before placing order for router, I wanted first to ensure a supporting wifi adapter for wdtv live.Now,it looks like I've to get some used adapters with older version numbers.
Old 11th May 2014, 21:20   #398
BHPian

Quote:
My first attempt for a WDTV live compatible wifi adapter failed.
Now,it looks like I've to get some used adapters with older version numbers.
Can't you just get a wifi extender and connect it to the WDTV live with the network cable? I've done that with a netgear extender and works fine.
joethomasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 21:41   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Can't you just get a wifi extender and connect it to the WDTV live with the network cable? I've done that with a netgear extender and works fine.
Are you suggesting extender or wifi to rj45 adapter?
Something like:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNCE2001.aspx

My WDTV live model doesn't have inbuilt wifi adapter.
Its first generation WDTV live (which has 1 RJ45 +2 USB). The main issue is the limited number of supported USB wifi adapters.

All the supported wifi adapters listed by WD support site are very old models , which are not easily avaialbe on market. Same product (name/model number) with newer version number has entirely different internal chipset and hardware.
Old 11th May 2014, 21:50   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Are you suggesting extender or wifi to rj45 adapter?
Both should work. I already had this, an extender so hooked it up to the RJ45 port.

Is there any particular advantage in connecting the WDTV via a wifi adapter?
joethomasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 21:57   #401
BHPian

Hi folks need some quick device. Came to Dubai on a business trip and the Apple TV here costs about 450 AED, meaning about 6500 INR.
Now, what I want to know is how much is it relevant in India? I'm already in to the Apple ecosystem, phones and iPad, so apart from Airplay and say watching videos in YouTube, what else could be that one thing that I really need to buy this for? I could do all of this in my iPad right?
Any experiences could be helpful.
Thanks.
motorworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 13:44   #402
BHPian

Default Which USB Player for TV ?

I'm looking to buy a movie player that can read any and every format off of USB hard drives and / or pen drives. DVD/Blu-Ray disc support is not necessary but wouldn't mind having it.

When I asked at Reliance Digital they say I'd have to go for a blu-ray player if I intend to have USB all-media support. They cost north of 6K, and I'm still not sure if they'd play all formats and if they'd support HDDs.

Can someone point me to a good USB (HDD+pendrive) movie player - something I can buy online if possible? I see a Philips one on Flipkart that seems to support plenty of formats, but not sure if it'd play from an external hard disk.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 14:55   #403
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Which USB Player for TV ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Can someone point me to a good USB (HDD+pendrive) movie player - something I can buy online if possible? I see a Philips one on Flipkart that seems to support plenty of formats, but not sure if it'd play from an external hard disk.
You need a 'Media Player'. Asus and 'Western Digital' are the major players in this segment. Take a look at the one below.

http://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Play-Mini-...s=media+player
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 13:25   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggestions required:

Have: Sony Android TV, connected to internet.
Want to: Record streaming content or other content available on the web (which we are allowed to )

Question:
How ?
Need suggestions on how to do this. Would like to save the content on an external HDD, and play when required.
Don't want to lose on quality of the content
Is there any media player that can take an external HDD, while being connected to the web, and has a HDMI output to the TV ?

or is a laptop required ? Windows / Apple ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 16:11   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Have: Sony Android TV, connected to internet.
Want to: Record streaming content or other content available on the web (which we are allowed to )
Pretty much any media player will do that (Except Apple TV which disables USB).

Just add external HDD to USB port of player and connect it to TV / Amplifier via HDMI.

Options are Western Digital and pretty much and Chinese player.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote