Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd June 2009, 10:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Why don't you try Cowon PMP? I have one with 80 GB and it supports many file format. Quality is also good but for sound you need really good amplifier.

Cowon Q5 PMP gets priced and dated

I have this one

COWON A3 Now 80GB | PMP Today
I dont see any comparison of this with WD HD Media Player
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 13:08   #62
BHPian

There is a new product which seems to be better than WDTV in specifications and features. The company ships worldwide for 99 Euros. Anyone willing to take the plunge?
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 13:20   #63
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, it has direct connectivity to many websites, that's interesting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2009 at 15:56. Reason: Splitting this post between this thread + Quest for Hi Def thread.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 21:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
There is a new product which seems to be better than WDTV in specifications and features. The company ships worldwide for 99 Euros. Anyone willing to take the plunge?

I will be interested - except looks like they don't ship to India. Group buy people?
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 22:19   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting find Sumit. It seems to be a better deal than the WDTV in most ways (quality however is still questionable... not to mention some of the funny korean-to-english spellings and phrases.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I will be interested - except looks like they don't ship to India. Group buy people?
I might be interested - was it you who posted the "shipping to bangalore" query? Do let us know what they say.

This thing would be IDEAL if you could hook up a USB external HDD to it, and then connect it to your network and have it work as a NAS as well! Any idea if this is possible?

The screenshots of the interface aren't really great (and a bit repetitive).

Also the website doesn't seem to have a picture of the remote anywhere?

This thing definitely has potential.

cya
R

PS - Ooh, the 802.11n antenna is being given as a free gift till the 1st of July!
PS2 - Is this shipping out now or is it still in the pre-order period?

EDIT : Heres the remote : XTreamer Support System :: How the Remote Control of the Xtreamer looks like ???

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2009 at 22:27.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 08:24   #66
BHPian

Interests on the product depends on whether they will ship it to India or not. At 99 Euros, it turns out to be cheaper than the WDTV but we don't know how much shipping will cost us. Maybe if we order in a group, it would be affordable.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:59   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the LaCie player being announced today
LaCie's LaCinema Classic Bridge media player: just add storage

However, I feel it falls short of the WD HD Media Player. The latter does a lot of file formats at the same price point I feel.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I might be interested - was it you who posted the "shipping to bangalore" query? Do let us know what they say.

Yes Rehaan - that was me. Lets see if they will respond- I didn't see any answers for any of the questions on their site.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 15:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about something more reliable and branded like LaCie? See the post I created earlier in this thread.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2009 at 15:55. Reason: Few relevant posts moved to this thread.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:23   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Just saw the LaCie player being announced today
LaCie's LaCinema Classic Bridge media player: just add storage

However, I feel it falls short of the WD HD Media Player. The latter does a lot of file formats at the same price point I feel.
In my opinion, it is very important for a media player to be able to play files of a network connection. In-fact, there is now news of a new version of WDTV slated to be released by October 2009 which will feature an embedded ethernet controller. The Lacie player looks promising but lacks the network interface.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, it is very important for a media player to be able to play files of a network connection. In-fact, there is now news of a new version of WDTV slated to be released by October 2009 which will feature an embedded ethernet controller. The Lacie player looks promising but lacks the network interface.
But what use will an ethernet capability be, in this age of WiFi?

And IIRC, it was your post only which mentioned a way to hack the WD player to make it network/streaming enabled.

I agree with you though on the LaCie's capabilities. It looks somewhat meek in comparison to WD.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
WD Player has been officially launched in India a couple of days back for a price of 6.5K. Its cheaper than the price in Singapore.

Source
Tech2.com India > Full HD TV Player For Hi-Def TVs Launched By WD > News on General General
It is cheaper in Singapore. I bought WD Player from Singapore 4 months ago for 160 SG$ after GST refund (around 5K INR).
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 16:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But what use will an ethernet capability be, in this age of WiFi?

And IIRC, it was your post only which mentioned a way to hack the WD player to make it network/streaming enabled.

I agree with you though on the LaCie's capabilities. It looks somewhat meek in comparison to WD.
I have not tried WiFi but I regularly stream 20Mbps encoded mkv files from my home server to my WDTV using a USB LAN adapter. No stuttering and hangups. On the other hand, my laptop is not able to play the same files over the WiFi connection.

The current WDTV's warranty is void if you use the hacks for adding the ethernet to it. The new WDTV will have this capability built in, so the warranty stays.

People still prefer the Popcorn Hour but it is a pain to get here in India. One company which is distributing it here asks 25k for it and so its not affordable!
Old 10th June 2009, 08:49   #74
Team-BHP Support

When I converted a normal DVD into MKV file using MakeMKV, I got a 5.6GB file. I know most HD movies can be stored within 5GB. Why is MakeMKV creating 5GB file for a normal DVD? Most Divx files are 700MB.

Which software creates compressed MKV from standard DVDs, I am hoping for a <1GB MKV file that can store digital audio tracks too.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:00   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When I converted a normal DVD into MKV file using MakeMKV, I got a 5.6GB file. I know most HD movies can be stored within 5GB. Why is MakeMKV creating 5GB file for a normal DVD? Most Divx files are 700MB.

Which software creates compressed MKV from standard DVDs, I am hoping for a <1GB MKV file that can store digital audio tracks too.
Take a look at this. Hopefully will serve your purpose.