Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th June 2009, 10:52   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But what use will an ethernet capability be, in this age of WiFi?
If you want to stream flicker free video or video in 720p+ resolution with its 5.1 sound track, then even today Ethernet is the only way to do it.

Wifi can stream max audio/ images (in slideshow mode). Video streaming via wifi is pathetic, the bandwidth just does not scale up.

I have wifi streaming using 802.11n (its supposed to be 5 times the speed of 802.11g) @ upto 70mbps, still video is no good.

-Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:35   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Take a look at this. Hopefully will serve your purpose.
Handbrake is a very neat looking application, except it produces useless 70MB MKV file which plays just static. The MakeMKV on the other hand creates great looking MKV with chapters, subtitles, etc. But it needs 4GB for a 2 hour back & white movie.

So, I am still looking for a MKV creator that does some compression.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Handbrake is a very neat looking application, except it produces useless 70MB MKV file which plays just static. The MakeMKV on the other hand creates great looking MKV with chapters, subtitles, etc. But it needs 4GB for a 2 hour back & white movie.

So, I am still looking for a MKV creator that does some compression.
Why do you want to go with mkv? WDTV supports iso files. So if you want to play your dvds as they come with menus and all, then simply make an iso of the disc and feed it onto the WDTV. Do you want to reduce the file size?

If you want, you can also use a dvd ripper such as dvd-decrypter to remove all the extra crap and only keep the movie and the audio of your choice. You also have the option to use AutoGK or AutoMKV. I used to use AutoGK but have not tried AutoMKV so cannot comment. AutoGK used to require you to first decrypt the disc using dvd decrypter and then feed the ifo file to AutoGK to rip it to the codec of your choice.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:58   #79
Team-BHP Support

How big is the ISO file? I don't want lose chapter skipping, subtitles, etc. That is why I want to use MKV. But divX manages with 700MB, but MKV is taking 4Gb for the same file.
Old 15th June 2009, 19:04   #80
BHPian

The iso will be of the same size as the disc itself. You can convert the movie to a 400MB file also but it will come at the cost of quality! If you want the option of chapters then mkv is the only way out I suppose. You won't get chapters with either divx or xvid.

Here MakeMKV is the suggested application to keep the chapters. With the current hard drive prices, the best thing to do is to use the WDTV with a custom firmware to add network support and start using a home server (windows or linux) with a battery of high capacity drives.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Default Which one to go for?

Ok guys, my basic requirement is toplay downloaded, high quality avi or divx or BR rips from my WD Passport 320 gb external HDD. I have a 32 inch LCD and I wish to connect using HDMI.

I had initially zeroed down on the WD HD Media Player. It does all formats and is quite cheap at that price of 7.5k.

However, my attention has recently been diverted towards a PS3. According to my friend, it has an amazing GPU, can play all video file formats, comes with a DVD/BR player, has HDMI and component video output and a bonus is that it has amazing gaming capabilities also.

At a price of 20k odd, that seems like a great buy.

But I need someone to please confirm:
1. Whether the above mentioned file formats (avi, divx, mkv etc) can be played in a PS3?
2. If yes, through a USB, or an external HDD, or by copying to PS3 internal hard disk?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 20:55   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys, my basic requirement is toplay downloaded, high quality avi or divx or BR rips from my WD Passport 320 gb external HDD. I have a 32 inch LCD and I wish to connect using HDMI.

I had initially zeroed down on the WD HD Media Player. It does all formats and is quite cheap at that price of 7.5k.

However, my attention has recently been diverted towards a PS3. According to my friend, it has an amazing GPU, can play all video file formats, comes with a DVD/BR player, has HDMI and component video output and a bonus is that it has amazing gaming capabilities also.

At a price of 20k odd, that seems like a great buy.

But I need someone to please confirm:
1. Whether the above mentioned file formats (avi, divx, mkv etc) can be played in a PS3?
2. If yes, through a USB, or an external HDD, or by copying to PS3 internal hard disk?
A PS3 is any day a better option than a WDTV, but to play downloaded hi def mkv files on it, you will need to stream it using a computer with TVersity as the PS3 will not play mkv directly. I am not sure if you can connect an external drive to the PS3 but if you could, you will not be able to play mkv files atleast.

Given the price difference between the WDTV and PS3, I don't think a comparison is justified! The WDTV is the way to go if you want a play which plays every format without making a fuss.
Old 15th June 2009, 23:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
A PS3 is any day a better option than a WDTV, but to play downloaded hi def mkv files on it, you will need to stream it using a computer with TVersity as the PS3 will not play mkv directly. I am not sure if you can connect an external drive to the PS3 but if you could, you will not be able to play mkv files atleast.

Given the price difference between the WDTV and PS3, I don't think a comparison is justified! The WDTV is the way to go if you want a play which plays every format without making a fuss.
MKV would just be a 'nice to have'. My entire movie collection is just AVIs. But if the PS3 can play ISO, DivX and MKV, I dont mind!

I agree, there is no real comparison between PS3 and WDHDTV. But, I can go upto 20k if my movie+music requirements are met and I also get the additional advantage of gaming.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:01   #84
BHPian

Why not a barebones HTPC instead of these standalone players?

HTPC's may be a bit more costly, but highly configurable, scalable and future proof to a larger extend.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 00:47   #85
Team-BHP Support

I created a few MKVs from my DVDs, but WDTV simply ignores when I try to skid chapters.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:55   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I received something for a review. I have brought it home and will enjoy it for a while.

Meanwhile here's another review.

Tech2.com India > Normus MovieCube HDD Media Player > Reviews > HiFi & TV > Media Centers
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 10:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

I got a quote for Popcorn Hour A-110 for 25k in Mumbai. There was another product whose name I forgot - some Divo or Dico or something. Similar features.
Old 16th June 2009, 12:01   #88

Quote:
I got a quote for Popcorn Hour A-110 for 25k in Mumbai. There was another product whose name I forgot - some Divo or Dico or something. Similar features.
The product you are talking about is the TVIX media player(s) by DVICO Inc.

Home > Products > TVIX for Asia
ksreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 00:09   #89
Team-BHP Support

I have started converting my decade old original DVD collection to MKV. The quality of playback on the plasma is fantastic, even the subtitles and chapters are retained. But the WDTV doesn't heed the chapters.

Every 1 in 10 DVD makes the MakeMKV choke and die. In such cases, I tried using Handbrake, but it chokes too. So I created ISO for those. However, ISO file doesn't work well with WDTV, it chokes on ISO files, displays very slow and practically useless.
Old 18th June 2009, 00:32   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have started converting my decade old original DVD collection to MKV.
Every 1 in 10 DVD makes the MakeMKV choke and die. In such cases, I tried using Handbrake, but it chokes too. So I created ISO for those. However, ISO file doesn't work well with WDTV, it chokes on ISO files, displays very slow and practically useless.
since you already own the rights to content, see if you can download off internet. You may be able to get an intact copy.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote