Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th March 2017, 11:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Parental control for internet usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Agree with both,...Need to get some mind simulating games shortly.
you're a typical parent; not mocking, but take that in lighter sense please.

Seriously speaking, not just you, but any Parent for that matter, don't need any special efforts to upbring their children. All they got to do is, lead & show the way in which their kids have to live; and children will DEFINITELY follow it. Kids talk bad language just because Parents do it all the time; most kids are angry because they miss their parents. Most of us don't introspect ourselves; several years ago, my ex-VP said, we always set the rules for the kids & say rules are not for us, because we're grown ups. Kids will immediately start thinking they're grown up, so the rules don't apply for them. Instead, if we follow the rules & just let the kids be free, they WILL start following us one day with initially they not abiding them.

Easier said than done, but, that's the choice, we as Parents have to make & make THE BEST out of our worst times.

Last edited by aargee : 13th March 2017 at 12:01.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 12:15   #32
BHPian

I faced the same challenges with my 12-year-old daughter, and was shocked to find the amount of exposure these kids have nowadays and they are mature way beyond their age. I made it a point not to use any of my electronic devices while at home and surrendered my BSNL wifi. The moment I stopped using my devices in front of her, she also started to avoid them. I would suggest you all to try this and minimize as much as possible and also their exposure to such things.
gr8guyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 14:49   #33
BHPian

We have strict instruction at home not touch father's/mother's electronic devices (including tablets/phones/computers).
She has her own tablet (first it was Naby 2 and now its Kindle Fire Kids).
The advantage of this is that its built for kids and we (parents) can dictate the contents, apps (even camera/browser) and time of play.
Apart from this I've setup a firewall (RaspberryPI+OpenWRT with all Adblocks), this even blocks advertisement. The disadvantage is that even we cannot click the Ads (most of the sponsored links are blocked).
We give the tablet to her only on weekends (we use our tablets for reading and now even she likes to read small stories in her tab).

May be we can control her for another year or so and above 10 years i don't think we'd be able to restrict much. Need to find out something else.

TV as such is restricted but she likes to watch movies, don't know what to do. So now a days i watch only News.
kozhissery is online now   Reply With Quote