Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th September 2010, 20:34   #16
BHPian

Here are some photo scanners you may want to look up-

eBay India: EPSON V300 (A4 SIZE) PHOTO SCANNER (item 130398247060 end time 17-Sep-2010 00:00:00 IST)

eBay India: Canon 5600F Flatbed Photo Film & Document Scanner (item 170532056860 end time 24-Sep-2010 16:03:09 IST)

eBay India: EPSON V600 (A4 SIZE) PHOTO SCANNER (item 380240251478 end time 04-Oct-2010 17:03:00 IST)
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 13:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: Photograph Scanner

A late reply to this thread. I want to scan many old photos. Within my budget of below 5000/- I am getting the Canon Lide 110. Do you guys think, in the long run, whether purchasing a scanner would be fine? Since once the scanning process is complete, I don't think there would be much use for it.

Is there any place in Pune from where I can rent out a good quality photo scanner for a few days? Does anyone have any contacts or knows anyone who can lend me a scanner for a few days?
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 19:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Photograph Scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
A late reply to this thread. I want to scan many old photos. Within my budget of below 5000/- I am getting the Canon Lide 110. Do you guys think, in the long run, whether purchasing a scanner would be fine? Since once the scanning process is complete, I don't think there would be much use for it.

Is there any place in Pune from where I can rent out a good quality photo scanner for a few days? Does anyone have any contacts or knows anyone who can lend me a scanner for a few days?
There is an option of using a camera as a scanner. The rational is as follows

1. Most budget scanners will give you 1000DPI or less "optical" resolution. Do not be mislead by "digital" resolution, which is just another word for interpolation to get higher resolution.

2. A 35mm film is about 1" x 1.5", so at even 2000DPI you get 2000 x 3000 = 6MP image.

3. Use a high MP DSLR (say 10 or 14 MP) with a macro lense. Rig up a stand with a negative holder. Use a back light, and you have a good "digitizing" facility. For details on the copy stand, surf the net there are hundreds of articles on using DSLR for negative scanning.

Scanning Negatives with your Digital Camera
Scanning thousands of slides? Try a digital camera
Scan Negatives Using A DSLR & Toilet Tubes | Geeky Gadgets
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 23:05   #19
BHPian

On Android phone i have been using cam scanner. Does a decent job of doing a quick scan . its a free download
mm403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 08:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aroy & mm403,

I will use my Nikon D5000 for that. Even I have now come to the conclusion that purchasing a scanner would not be a good option. I don't have the negatives, only the colour photos. Let's see, I will post the results after that is done.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 10th April 2012 at 08:59. Reason: Added sentence
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 09:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:

I recently came across an advert where the person scans negatives for you for money. There is a minimum order though. Let me see if can search for it. You'll save time for sure and once everything is digitized, an MF unit should serve the purpose for scanning regular stuff.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 10:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Most internet cafes have a scanner. You could get photos scanned there at reasonable rates. This would not be convenient if the number of photos to be scanned is huge.

Most IT companies have scanners. You could ask your friends working in IT if they have access to scanner in their office.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 14:29   #23
BHPian

Can anyone recommend me for a good scanner that would scan doucments and convert them to pdf on the fly. I would prefer the cheapset scanner available. I was looking at Canon and I found that this particular model to be cheaper considering that it is form Canon.

Canon CanoScan LiDE 60 Flachbettscanner: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Any cheaper option that this?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 07:09   #24
BHPian

Hello, I've a query on converting jpg to PDF.

I got 30 papers scanned into jpg format, i.e. 30 different files; and thereafter got those 30 photos converted into PDF via www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net.

The problem is, all the 30 photos got converted into 1 PDF file. I want to convert each jpg into a separate PDF file. How do I do this?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 07:31   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
The problem is, all the 30 photos got converted into 1 PDF file. I want to convert each jpg into a separate PDF file. How do I do this?
I use CutePDF writer. It's a small utility installed on my system. Once installed it will show up as a printer in your applications. To get a pdf, I go to print, and choose this entry in the Printer list, and specify the path & file name.

You can do the same - Open the image in your pic viewer /editor and then choose print (to PDF) of each single file.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 07:56   #26
BHPian

I got the 1 PDF file converted into 30 PDF files by using https://online2pdf.com. Now my next query- Certain files are in the range of 350 to 500 KB, I want all those file size to be within 200 KB. How do I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I use CutePDF writer. It's a small utility installed on my system. Once installed it will show up as a printer in your applications. To get a pdf, I go to print, and choose this entry in the Printer list, and specify the path & file name.

You can do the same - Open the image in your pic viewer /editor and then choose print (to PDF) of each single file.
Thanks sir. I have that Google Cloud installed on my system, but could not get the work done through that.

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 17th July 2015 at 08:13.
Old 17th July 2015, 10:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got 30 papers scanned into jpg format, i.e. 30 different files; and thereafter got those 30 photos converted into PDF via www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net.

It depends on what you want. Normal converters will just convert the jpg files into pdf as images. If you want the papers to be converted to text then you have to use OCR software.

In your case, use "Cute Pdf" to "Print" each document separately. You have to install two software (both available on the site). Then Cute Pdf becomes one of your printers. Any thing you print will be converted to pdf file.

Here are two methods of reducing file size
. Reduce the quality of the jpg files
. Reduce the DPI of the scanned images
. Open the jpg files in a photo editor and then trim all the excess space around text.

Last edited by Aroy : 17th July 2015 at 10:33.
Old 17th July 2015, 10:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wonder why would you want the photos to be in PDF?
PDF format doesn't offer anything great compared to a normal JPEG file.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 10:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Here are two methods of reducing file size
. Reduce the quality of the jpg files
. Reduce the DPI of the scanned images
. Open the jpg files in a photo editor and then trim all the excess space around text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I wonder why would you want the photos to be in PDF?
PDF format doesn't offer anything great compared to a normal JPEG file.
This a Department of Sales Tax (Maharashtra State) requirement .

Applications for grant of VAT and CST Registrations have to be submitted electronically. And the papers to be submitted must be-
  • Scanned at 200 DPI
  • Converted into jpg
  • jpg should be converted into PDF
  • The PDF files should be less than 200 KB.
If the PDF files are more than 200 KB, the file will not be attached and your application won't be submitted. I have done maximum possible cutting of the jpg. Out of 30, 18 files are in the 250-500 KB range.

Edit:- I think I must compress the jpg pictures by using Microsoft Picture Manager and then convert it into PDF.

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 17th July 2015 at 11:08.
Old 18th July 2015, 12:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

See if resizing the jpg files maintains clarity. If so resize the relevant files a bit at a time till they are 200kb.

At times the government wants to have the cake and eat it too. How can a big and a small document fit a constant size? Resizing will be akin to scanning at lower DPI, but that will not be noticed by the government officials, as long as the text is legible..