Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th February 2011, 12:45   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The Waze system is not perfect, and the maps are far from it too. But it is an interesting concept, which I hope would mature and be useful sometime (hopefully soon).
While editing and modifying roads are easy in Cities but for towns like Hosur there is no proper Satellite map (good ground resolution) to i identify the road and to compare with the GPS path. This is becoming a pain.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:11   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Satellite lock for me has been super quick, 30sec max in open area. Using on BB curve. It depends on the phone as well.
My Samsung G3 gets a Sat lock less than 5 secs if its an open area but it takes 2-3 mins for a lock inside buildings.

Quote:
Hahaha... you never know what the devices know

Let me take a look when we meet. The Waze system is not perfect, and the maps are far from it too. But it is an interesting concept, which I hope would mature and be useful sometime (hopefully soon).
Yes, its not a comprehensive tool for navigation, but in future it will become a complete package including more POI's, landmarks etc. by tallying with all the details collecting from our records and may be a future versions will be a paid one like MMI. Who knows?

Last edited by sajjt : 4th February 2011 at 13:12.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:56   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Who knows?
You can - by becoming an area manager and improving the content in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
While editing and modifying roads are easy in Cities but for towns like Hosur there is no proper Satellite map (good ground resolution) to i identify the road and to compare with the GPS path. This is becoming a pain.
Welcome aboard the area manager gang - makes it three of us now in this part of the country!! Have PM'ed you something...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 08:12   #289
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that cartouche - the Waze's map editing interface - has been updated. It now shows as powered by Bing (earlier used to be Satnav), and more zoom levels are available on the satellite layer.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:37   #290
BHPian

The road which i travel most frequently is not shown.
I tried digging at least TEN times but every time it is gone when i login next time.
What could be the reason folks please help.
Without this feature working fine waze shall remain of no use to me as there are very limited routes available in my part of the world.

Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:16   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
The road which i travel most frequently is not shown.
I tried digging at least TEN times but every time it is gone when i login next time.
What could be the reason folks please help.
Without this feature working fine waze shall remain of no use to me as there are very limited routes available in my part of the world.

Cheers
You need to request area manager for that location and create the roads, then it would become permanently available.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:41   #292
BHPian

after multiple attempts, today Waze guided me correctly all the way till my home. Probably took it around 10 attempts to understand the route which I took. and during the whole journey, there was no signal so it used only GPS. Is that why it worked I wonder.

I have not seen anyone else on my route except ph03nix on 2 consecutive weekends. Thanks for replying to my message that day. You made me avoid taking Mandaveli.
arvind71181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 20:52   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
after multiple attempts, today Waze guided me correctly all the way till my home. Probably took it around 10 attempts to understand the route which I took. and during the whole journey, there was no signal so it used only GPS. Is that why it worked I wonder.

I have not seen anyone else on my route except ph03nix on 2 consecutive weekends. Thanks for replying to my message that day. You made me avoid taking Mandaveli.
Hi Arvind, I crossed you in Pondy Bazaar but didn't stop because I had to keep an appointment (and I picked the wrong car - thought it was an Aveo that you are in ).

The maps we have for India have bunch of problems - some roads are not connected, some junctions that connects roads do not have the right turns, some roads have wrong directions, etc. Some of us here have signed up as Area Managers for Waze, and are trying to make things better. You can help by reporting problems you see in maps / driving instructions with a short description of what is wrong, or better still, make corrections yourself from the Waze website.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:34   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I have not seen anyone else on my route except ph03nix on 2 consecutive weekends.
You'll start seeing me in Chennai though the direction that i take is completely different. I'll be travelling from Pallavaram to Mahindra City. Due to my shifting i'm kind of occupied with other activities. I need to get Area Manager access to this section and start updating the map.

@ph03nix: I received your PM, i'll have to make some time to sit for that.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:52   #295
BHPian

Quote:
The maps we have for India have bunch of problems - some roads are not connected, some junctions that connects roads do not have the right turns, some roads have wrong directions, etc. Some of us here have signed up as Area Managers for Waze, and are trying to make things better. You can help by reporting problems you see in maps / driving instructions with a short description of what is wrong, or better still, make corrections yourself from the Waze website.
Oh ok let me see how I can get into the corrective mode. Guess have to explore Waze a little bit more.
arvind71181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 23:11   #296
BHPian

Any waze users on iPhone. After the recent update waze application is crashing frequently. anybody face the same issue?
Old 5th April 2011, 00:06   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha... you never know what the devices know

Let me take a look when we meet. The Waze system is not perfect, and the maps are far from it too. But it is an interesting concept, which I hope would mature and be useful sometime (hopefully soon).
I agree that it is far from perfect, but there are very basic simple stuff that are wrong in this one, i have given up after the initial euphoria of gaining points. Only plus against nokia maps is that waze does not need refreshing when you are not navigating.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:42   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I agree that it is far from perfect, but there are very basic simple stuff that are wrong in this one, i have given up after the initial euphoria of gaining points. Only plus against nokia maps is that waze does not need refreshing when you are not navigating.
Don't give up, suyamariyadhai kadhalar!!!

Report errors that crops up when you use, we have 3 area managers - me, mail4loys and mohammedmubeen. Either of us will try to fix it.

The most common reason for wrong routing errors is due to roads not connected with a junction, or the junction not having turns enabled. Anyone can fix it from cartouche - or leave it us by marking a map error from the client.

If you stop using it, the error would remain - and more people will stop using Waze until someone fixes the error
Old 30th April 2011, 17:19   #299
BHPian

hi all,
I have been using waze since a few months now.

Very good software, but i have the following questions/improvement points:

1. The framework of improving roads etc via Area managers is good.
2. One problem i face is the markers. What i search, and the results i get are not related at all in case of smaller places. I mean, the number of markers it has is very less (Google being the benchmark).

Is there any way (on an Iphone) one can search google maps, and copy paste the location coordinates here in Waze? I somehow like waze as it has turn by turn navigation as well as several cool features.

3. Traffic info
This is my biggest question. Now, in a city like Bangalore, there are always traffic jams. The key thing is to know how bad it is, and take alternate routes. It probably happens only once in a while, but last night, i was on Outer Ring Road for 1 hour. And Waze did not show a RED (meaning slow) for any streach of the road.
Now the problem i see is that, Waze does not seem to automatically use this data from all Wazers to determine traffic, rather it only suggests users to Report it. Now, that is done by very few people and as such the data is not realiable.
Does anyone else feel the same as I do? Should we check with Waze.com if they can improve this for India? Perhaps it could be an option provided in the settings, so they dont have privacy issues coming up...
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 17:22   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Any waze users on iPhone. After the recent update waze application is crashing frequently. anybody face the same issue?
I have version 2.2.0.0 from the start on my 3GS, and it seems to crash once a while. Not that frequent though, and never has it crashed during a navigation run. So, does not bother me that much.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote