Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 02:48   #301
BHPian
 
Darryl.Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Madgaon, Goa
Posts: 81
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Waze does not seem to automatically use this data from all Wazers to determine traffic
Waze does use information from all users, to the extent of automatically reporting traffic congestion or standstill when I park for a few minutes and don't exit the software. Have you considered that there may have not been another wazer ahead of you for Waze to detect that there was a jam?

Traffic reports sent manually are only flashed to Wazers who have opted to receive such alerts, and are not factored into routing.

You can read more about this on the Waze forums and wiki.

Apart from this, opinions are invited from BHP Wazers at http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=9230

db

Last edited by Darryl.Burke : 1st May 2011 at 02:56.
Darryl.Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 10:46   #302
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 568
Thanked: 253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke
Waze does use information from all users, to the extent of automatically reporting traffic congestion or standstill when I park for a few minutes and don't exit the software. Have you considered that there may have not been another wazer ahead of you for Waze to detect that there was a jam?

Traffic reports sent manually are only flashed to Wazers who have opted to receive such alerts, and are not factored into routing.

You can read more about this on the Waze forums and wiki.

Apart from this, opinions are invited from BHP Wazers at http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=9230

db
After extensively using it over the last two weeks I agree with you. It does show the red zones sometimes. I guess the number of waxes users are too low for it to work really well as of now.

I am really bowled over by the concept though. Excellent framework that is bound to improve.

I tried to add a few markers on the website using my pc but I still don't get them when I search through waZe mobile. Does someone have to approve them.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 10:54   #303
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,638
Thanked: 2,815 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Waze on my BB Storm doesnt seem to be working. It shows "the connection is outside the IT policy" or something of that sort. No maps visible and this message keeps popping up each time I open it.

Gmaps works fine although it takes time to get the sate lock.

Help needed guys.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 20:03   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
After extensively using it over the last two weeks I agree with you. It does show the red zones sometimes. I guess the number of waxes users are too low for it to work really well as of now.

I am really bowled over by the concept though. Excellent framework that is bound to improve.

I tried to add a few markers on the website using my pc but I still don't get them when I search through waZe mobile. Does someone have to approve them.
The maps edited in Cartouche - the map editor that you use from the computer - will take a couple of days to reflect on the mobile version. The mobile version caches the maps, and refreshes it at certain intervals (that I am not aware of). If you want to force a refresh, and if you are on a Nokia S60, the maps are stored in memory card/data/others/maps/<folder with number> - delete the subfolder in the <folder with numbers>, and the client will download them at next launch. Dont worry about deleting something else, even if you delete the data or others or maps folder, it will get recreated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Waze on my BB Storm doesnt seem to be working. It shows "the connection is outside the IT policy" or something of that sort. No maps visible and this message keeps popping up each time I open it.

Gmaps works fine although it takes time to get the sate lock.

Help needed guys.
The connection Waze makes with its server seem to have a problem with your corporate policy in the BB (am assuming yours is indeed a corporate BB and not a personal device). Try checking with your corporate IT folks. If it is a personal connection, grab hold of your mobile service provider.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 20:08   #305
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,638
Thanked: 2,815 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

The connection Waze makes with its server seem to have a problem with your corporate policy in the BB (am assuming yours is indeed a corporate BB and not a personal device). Try checking with your corporate IT folks. If it is a personal connection, grab hold of your mobile service provider.
Thanks for that. It is indeed a personal device. Will check with the service provider.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:34   #306
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 139
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Hey Wazers!

Got my flag today

For those of you who want FREE flags, stickers and other goodies go here Waze | Facebook

Do the "like" stuff and they have weekly/monthly give-aways. I never expected them to send stuff out to Bangalore, really pleased not only with the software but the marketing courtesy. Its pretty big & I dont think I'll have it on the windows all the time, but once a while why not
Attached Thumbnails
Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone-image349.jpg  


Last edited by kartikk : 23rd May 2011 at 13:36. Reason: its free
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 17:51   #307
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 49
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Hi,

I joined this today and the Team-BHP group as well

I am FiestaBlr on it.

Warm regards,
NagaSid
naga.sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 12:50   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Welcome aboard @naga.sid - hope you have figured your way out with the positives and negatives that comes with Waze
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 18:56   #309
BHPian
 
Darryl.Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Madgaon, Goa
Posts: 81
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Waze can go crazy at times. Navigating back from the office today, instead of the usual 31-34 minutes, Waze predicted I would cover the 21 km in 6 minutes
Darryl.Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 23:28   #310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Faced these glitches sometimes with waze, but for the features provided, i would think these are minor.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:27   #311
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 568
Thanked: 253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke
Waze can go crazy at times. Navigating back from the office today, instead of the usual 31-34 minutes, Waze predicted I would cover the 21 km in 6 minutes
My guess is that your gps was not yet up and running and so waZe did not know your current location.

Im sure there are more such issues but as more people start using it, it would improve to a great extent.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:44   #312
BHPian
 
Darryl.Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Madgaon, Goa
Posts: 81
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Well, as I said, Waze predicted I would cover 21 km in 6 minutes. (The route was correct)

db
Darryl.Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 20:36   #313
BHPian
 
Pri2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore / Mangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Installed Waze on my iPhone yesterday. Tried it today and found that it is indeed a very good GPS app. The concept is very innovative. I have joined Team BHP and Bangalore wazers and already started reporting traffic Jams, police checkpoints and speed cameras !
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 01:17   #314
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

i have forgotten,the password,i am not able to recover it.
any help here?
i dont want to lose this account,i had made lots of points over months
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 00:15   #315
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kollam
Posts: 10
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

hello everyone, been using waze for a while and i joined the community earlier but came to this thread now. happy to see u all
bijeeshvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Dash Navigation vs Navigation Module vs Separate Navigation SirAlec In-Car Entertainment 27 20th January 2014 22:19
India to have its own Satellite Navigation system soon! smartcat Shifting gears 31 3rd April 2013 15:41
Skoda Superb - Satellite Navigation integration? PM - B In-Car Entertainment 4 25th March 2012 18:16
Nokia offering maps and navigation for free joecherian Gadgets, Computers & Software 132 23rd September 2011 16:32
Hyundai launches i20 with satellite navigation h@r$h@l The Indian Car Scene 87 3rd June 2011 13:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks