Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 17:23   #391
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

It is a known issue with phones to heat when using for navigation over a long period. The best spot for the phone during navigation is to have it in the line of A/C vent, so the phone can be kept cool. Also avoid positioning the phone under direct sunlight.

The phone is doing many things, specially Waze. It constantly re-routes you while driving if you miss the spot like an offline navigation unit. Which means there is computation of route and also it picks update from the server on road conditions ahead.

GPS itself is a drain on battery, combined with 3G it is a lot. While travelling it is best to keep the phone in GPRS mode instead of 3G/HSDPA. GPRS is available in most locations so the phone is not wasting energy hunting for 3G.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 17:41   #392
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 561 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Couple of days back, I saw an accident icon om my google maps. I was surprised since it was a first time that something of that sort poped up on the screen.

When I clicked the icon, its description read as there is an accident reported by a Waze user at this spot. So seems like, Google has started rolling up updates from Waze to Google Maps
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 18:58   #393
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Couple of days back, I saw an accident icon om my google maps. I was surprised since it was a first time that something of that sort poped up on the screen.

When I clicked the icon, its description read as there is an accident reported by a Waze user at this spot. So seems like, Google has started rolling up updates from Waze to Google Maps
This feature was rolled out by Google a couple of months back.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 21:00   #394
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Ever since Google took over Waze there have been lot of changes in both Waze and Google Navigation. I saw Google map routes overlap Waze around September. Then for a while Waze was showing routes similar to Google in Bangalore. Google started using real time driving data from Waze.

The Bing search disappeared in Waze, something I didnt like. It did help me a lot many times.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 09:31   #395
BHPian
 
AvinashV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Which would you guys suggest is better to use in India - Google maps or Waze? I have been using Google maps till now but don't want to download Waze if it isn't better as my phone is pretty tight on space.
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:59   #396
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Which would you guys suggest is better to use in India - Google maps or Waze? I have been using Google maps till now but don't want to download Waze if it isn't better as my phone is pretty tight on space.
I'll vote for Waze any day.
Google is good for long distance because Waze has a limitation in finding not so frequent long distance routes. Waze was initially designed for daily commute between office & home.

But within city/towns Waze is better, because it will route you thru frequently used routes. The maps of Waze is same as Google, but it gets updated faster by users and driving patterns.

It uses google search and few others to find the destination address.

It is a hybrid navigation, mix of online and offline capabilities.

Also try http://world.waze.com, live map editing.
The map edits get updated within weeks.

Also, I'll recommend keeping Waze On while driving, even if you know the way. It will help with routing for other Wazers. Because Waze uses realtime traffic data from fellow wazers to find you the fastest route and alerts on hazards marked by fellow wazers.

So go ahead. Be a happy Wazer and contribute to make maps better

Last edited by HillMan : 10th July 2014 at 11:05.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 11:50   #397
BHPian
 
AvinashV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I'll vote for Waze any day.
Google is good for long distance because Waze has a limitation in finding not so frequent long distance routes. Waze was initially designed for daily commute between office & home.

But within city/towns Waze is better, because it will route you thru frequently used routes. The maps of Waze is same as Google, but it gets updated faster by users and driving patterns.

It uses google search and few others to find the destination address.

It is a hybrid navigation, mix of online and offline capabilities.

Also try http://world.waze.com, live map editing.
The map edits get updated within weeks.

Also, I'll recommend keeping Waze On while driving, even if you know the way. It will help with routing for other Wazers. Because Waze uses realtime traffic data from fellow wazers to find you the fastest route and alerts on hazards marked by fellow wazers.

So go ahead. Be a happy Wazer and contribute to make maps better
comparison.
But just like Google maps will I have to have the GPS also on all the time if I am to keep Waze on while driving? That's going to drink some major battery.
Can it be used offline also?

And what you said makes real sense as it wouldn't be great at long distance as not many people updating or travelling then but would be better in cities.
Lately had two bad experiences with Google maps back to back. With the address entered correctly and maps showing that it has found the place but it took me to an entirely different place and it's extremely disconcerting when the appointment is an interview.
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 11:53   #398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai - Pune
Posts: 136
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

I use Waze somtimes although I don't have a car. I frequently travel between Mumbai and Pune and when I stumble upon stop and go traffic and such, I update the same on waze.

About google maps and sometimes showing wrong address or the place not being there where google said it was, I would suggest one to use Wonobo in combination with google. It is the google street view counterpart for India. Not all cities have street view yet but major ones does. Try it once.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 14:43   #399
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
comparison.
But just like Google maps will I have to have the GPS also on all the time if I am to keep Waze on while driving? That's going to drink some major battery.
Can it be used offline also?
You need network to find your destination. But once waze has found the destination and done the routing, it can work offline.

If you use mobile phone for navigation, always connect it to a car charger
GPS does suck out good deal of juice from your battery and also cause heating. But then there is no other option to pin point your location.

Waze does use network to constantly update traffic data and give you real time calculation of the ETA. It is pretty accurate. You also get alerts like hazard, cops etc. based on updates from fellow wazers.

The best part with waze, even if you are not actively updating the traffic status, waze will guess it based on your speed and few others driving around using waze. So it knows whats the average speed on each section of the road.

Google routes your through anything that looks like a road from the sky, which is risky specially when driving at night.

On Waze unknown/unused roads have a dotted line. If you find a discrepancy with the map, you can mark it as map error through your mobile on the spot. Same with a wrong navigation from one ways etc. Someone will fix it for the next journey.

The best part, you can yourself edit roads in your locality online to easily perfect the map. This is a feature I like and appreciate the most.

Do explore the features, it is really nice and simple. There are lots of wazers already across India, which is a good thing.

Waze is not in the top 10 must have apps for no reason

I am praising the app a little too much. Just a piece of caution, no map in India is perfect, simply due to the dynamics of our roads. Waze I feel is better because of the awesome community that's using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I use Waze somtimes although I don't have a car. I frequently travel between Mumbai and Pune and when I stumble upon stop and go traffic and such, I update the same on waze.
Thanks Raksrules. You are doing the community a favour. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by HillMan : 10th July 2014 at 14:45.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:34   #400
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Nice parody by Quiznos
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 12:32   #401
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,054 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

How to join the Team BHP group.
I have checked the post in the 1st Page but do not find a link to join the group.

Edit:

Groups is no longer available in Waze. It has been replaced by Teams.

Now find only one option in Team-"Trafico noticieros televisa" which does not mean a thing to me.

Cant I find a local relevant team in Waze and something that gives me track of fellow Bhpians in Mumbai/Thane and a chance to meet if our paths cross??

Last edited by arnabchak : 25th September 2014 at 12:53. Reason: New Changes in Waze App
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 12:44   #402
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default

From what I hear, the option for creating and joining a group is no more available.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 13:02   #403
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

They have replaced groups with better integrations with Facebook. You can now share your ride and schedule meeting or pickup with friends.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 13:08   #404
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,054 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

I also wanted to check the below for Waze:

1) No colour coded traffic like in Google Maps. Am I missing any settings?
2) Facebook integration is patchy. Does not connect most of the times.
3) Any teams for T-BHp available to join?
4) Teams in Dashboard are pre specified and absolutely irrelevant to local traffic scenarios. Again, am I missing something here?

The voice guided part is very good and accurate and using it for normal/casual driving is a breeze.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 23:41   #405
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I also wanted to check the below for Waze:

1) No colour coded traffic like in Google Maps. Am I missing any settings?
You have option to change your display theme. Go to Settings and select Map Color Schemes. Select Map Editor, it gets you different colors for different types of roads.
Quote:
2) Facebook integration is patchy. Does not connect most of the times.
Depends on network. I usually switch to GPRS which has lesser disconnects while traveling instead of using 3G.
Quote:
3) Any teams for T-BHp available to join?
No more Groups now.
You can go to My Waze, then click on Friends.
Now you can add friends from FB or your contacts.
Quote:
4) Teams in Dashboard are pre specified and absolutely irrelevant to local traffic scenarios. Again, am I missing something here?.
Teams is a FIFA stuff. Waze had teams created for each country to hoot for.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Dash Navigation vs Navigation Module vs Separate Navigation SirAlec In-Car Entertainment 27 20th January 2014 22:19
India to have its own Satellite Navigation system soon! smartcat Shifting gears 31 3rd April 2013 15:41
Skoda Superb - Satellite Navigation integration? PM - B In-Car Entertainment 4 25th March 2012 18:16
Nokia offering maps and navigation for free joecherian Gadgets, Computers & Software 132 23rd September 2011 16:32
Hyundai launches i20 with satellite navigation h@r$h@l The Indian Car Scene 87 3rd June 2011 13:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks