Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 19th October 2010, 21:52   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Wazed, and Grouped.

Most popular group now: Team-Bhp

Will see you see me in cyberspace. Or something like that.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 22:03   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
What I have observed is that this application is resource hungry? I am not sure if any one else has observed the battery drain if so please share your experience here.
whenever GPS is used, the battery drains faster. the battery also drains faster depending on the screen size - since the screen is in active mode when Waze is running. for example on my HD2, which has a 4.3" screen, the battery drains faster as compared to a smartphone with a smaller screen. hence, i always hook up the phone to the car charger when using Waze

if your battery is less than 30% when you start Waze, it asks whether you really want to run it.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 22:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My groups problem is solved!!
Can now see 25 members in the group - we are 3 less for to be in the top, herez to BHPians!!!

When I open groups from my E72, it says Groups functionality is not available for my phone yet. I used the website (desktop) to join the group.
haha this is amazing! Just imagine the T-BHP meets now. It'll be like a swarm of dots on waze converging at the meeting point. WOW!
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 23:56   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

just drove home from my mother-in-law's place and i used the "Drive To" feature. earlier i had saved the location of our home, so thought i'll see if this app lives up to its reputation!

sure enough! its got a female voice giving directions, turn by turn. few places i didn't follow the directions because it would have taken me on a longer route, but each time it recalculated the route and continued! when approaching the Banaswadi Flyover, it would say "Stay right" (because there is a road going side by side the flyover on the left which leads under it)! i mean, it doesn't know all the routes yet, but when it does i'm sure its gonna be a life saver for many of us!

btw, it displays the distance to next turn and also announces it and believe you me - its dead accurate!

i'm wondering if it has a learning feature. for example, i did not exactly take the route it prescribed, but an alternate route. not sure if it will remember it and next time give correct directions.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:24   #50
BHPian

Are the Vodafone users here connecting with Vodafone Live or Mobile Connect. I tried with Vodafone Live, It couldnt even connect.
zteg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
just drove home from my mother-in-law's place and i used the "Drive To" feature. earlier i had saved the location of our home, so thought i'll see if this app lives up to its reputation!

sure enough! its got a female voice giving directions, turn by turn. few places i didn't follow the directions because it would have taken me on a longer route, but each time it recalculated the route and continued! when approaching the Banaswadi Flyover, it would say "Stay right" (because there is a road going side by side the flyover on the left which leads under it)! i mean, it doesn't know all the routes yet, but when it does i'm sure its gonna be a life saver for many of us!

btw, it displays the distance to next turn and also announces it and believe you me - its dead accurate!

i'm wondering if it has a learning feature. for example, i did not exactly take the route it prescribed, but an alternate route. not sure if it will remember it and next time give correct directions.
A few points IronH4WK:
1. How did you save the location of your home? I can place a marker and report different situations, but I can't save a location. I can access 'recently searched', 'favorites' (I can 'add to favorites'), but no save location option. I can see the saved locations section, but I can't add anything there. Hope I didn't over emphasize my point

2. Yes, Waze is a pretty powerful turn by turn navigator which is the only reason why I downloaded it in the first place. The whole social aspect came after!

3. I also experienced it telling me directions where I normally follow another route. But being in India, we always have alternate routes, and some of them we prefer for our own reasons. On waze, you have features where you can choose to avoid narrow lanes, i.e. only take main roads etc. But it always gives you alternate routes when you miss or skip an instruction on the app. However, when you have absolutely no idea to get to a location, Waze is pretty good. Just let the good lady tell you what to do!

4. Yes. Waze has a learn feature. If you frequent a certain route, it will remember it for future navigations. I think that's pretty darn swell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Are the Vodafone users here connecting with Vodafone Live or Mobile Connect. I tried with Vodafone Live, It couldnt even connect.
I suppose you'd have to use Mobile Connect. When I used to use Voda, I couldn't use the email app on my nokia unless I used mobile connect. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ByDesign : 20th October 2010 at 09:13.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
if you are able to use GPRS on your handset it should work fine.
i've dropped using vodafone recently as Airtel gives better speed and is much cheaper.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:42   #53
BHPian

Another user! I downloaded and am yet to experiment on my Nokia 5230.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 11:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just drove home from my mother-in-law's place and i used the "Drive To" feature.
I think i "spotted" you on Waze yesterday, around Ulsoor Lake.

Hehe, we have another thread about "spotting" in the making here.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 11:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
if you are able to use GPRS on your handset it should work fine.
i've dropped using vodafone recently as Airtel gives better speed and is much cheaper.
I use GPRS to connect to facebook or other wap sites. But when i tried on waze, i cant see the map, cant report etc. It says "couldnt connect to GPS" or something like that.
Guess I have to try mobile connect. Will do that today evening.
zteg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 11:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
same here. had to join the group from the laptop.

hopefully, they'll fix the sluggishness in newer versions. i set the map display to 2D, but still there is slight sluggishness. this inspite of a 1Ghz processor!
Works perfect on iPhone. Also I don't see any sluggishness as well, is your HD2 running WinMo or porter Android.

But I'm having troubles finding routes here in Chennai. I'm keeping it on when I travel so it can learn the routes.
teky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 12:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
How did you save the location of your home? I can place a marker and report different situations, but I can't save a location. I can access 'recently searched', 'favorites' (I can 'add to favorites'), but no save location option. I can see the saved locations section, but I can't add anything there. Hope I didn't over emphasize my point
first of all, you need to click on the "Me on map" and then zoom in a bit. tap and hold your car for about 2sec and you'll get a menu with the following options:

Set as destination
Set as departure
Save location
Cancel

ta da!

btw, i used to "Report" function and took a picture too to show the traffic jam (dunno know if it will show up on the Live Map). the update was pretty fast. i'm impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
is your HD2 running WinMo or porter Android.
WinMo 6.5 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe, we have another thread about "spotting" in the making here.

you bet! today i saw valhallen and NIP on Waze this morning and we messaged each other too (you can see it on the Live Map)!
Old 20th October 2010, 14:09   #58
BHPian

I navigated bengaluru for a while (since delhi was empty ) and there were so many wazers online!! Saw Valhallen too...

Thanks for the save location tip H4WK.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:26   #59
BHPian

Hello! I'm on there my battery almost died shortly thereafter! This think is batt hungry sadly and I don't even have gps! Only edge on my 8520
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 15:25   #60
jav
BHPian

Quote:
btw, i used to "Report" function and took a picture too to show the traffic jam (dunno know if it will show up on the Live Map). the update was pretty fast. i'm impressed!
got the pop up and the pic too on my map.Its really cool
jav is offline   Reply With Quote