Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 03:52   #16
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 935
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
From what I've read, Move is highly accurate and swift. There's a slightly noticeable lag with Kinect.

Not sure what's gonna happen to the Wii now. Motion gaming was it's USP. Maybe it'll continue to sell coz of its price. But the price different isn't much in games, or is it ?
Agree Kinect has a slight lag, whilst Move is more accurate.
I'm a big fan of PS3, but still prefer the Kinect, since it makes get involved in the game physically.
I see here in the stores, Kinect has more crowd than for Move.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 06:19   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 352
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Games will work. They are not region specific. However other movie DVDs don't work as they are region specific.
Sony PS3 cum Blu-ray player is region locked for DVDs but the Sony Blu-ray player is region free for DVDs. Both are region specific as far as Blu-ray media is concerned. Hope that helps.
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 06:36   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Sony PS3 cum Blu-ray player is region locked for DVDs but the Sony Blu-ray player is region free for DVDs. Both are region specific as far as Blu-ray media is concerned. Hope that helps.
Thanks. But is the UK and India on the same region for DVD/ Blue Ray?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 10:35   #19
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks. But is the UK and India on the same region for DVD/ Blue Ray?
DVD
*-----
REGION 1 -- USA, Canada
REGION 2 -- Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
REGION 3 -- S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
REGION 4 -- Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
REGION 5 -- Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
REGION 6 -- China
REGION 7 -- Reserved for Unspecified Special Use
REGION 8 -- Reserved for Cruise Ships, Airlines, etc...
REGION 0 or REGION ALL -- Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide
Source: DVD Region Codes - How DVD Region Codes Affect The Consumer - What You Need To Know


Blu Ray
*-----
A:East Asia (except Mainland China and Mongolia), Southeast Asia, the Americas and their dependencies.
B:Africa, Southwest Asia, Europe (except Russia), Oceania and their dependencies.
C:Central Asia, East Asia (Mainland China and Mongolia only), South Asia, central Eurasia and their dependencies.
Source: Blu-ray region codes - map and explanation
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:07   #20
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks guys. Now I know the pros and cons. I wonder if one gets region free Blue Ray disks in India.

Another question i have is whether UK and India are on the same region for DVDs. I could pick up the ps3 at Heathrow duty free on my return. I know for sure they have 220 V in UK, similar to India, and i can save the cost of a 220V adapter.
I picked up my PS3 from Heathrow last month. UK has region 'B' Blu-Rays whereas India comes under region 'C'. But in my experience so far, I have seen mostly region-free blu-rays in the stores in Bangalore.

PS - I do not own any Blu-Rays and I have not tried playing any of them either.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:03   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,465
Thanked: 692 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

The resolution of camera in Kinect will increased which can make even fingers to be detected. I think Kinect will evolve into a much more powerful player platform.

Adding a extra contraption like Move to Kinect should not be big a problem for MS if they want to do so.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 19:43   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

since the Thread title is related to Move vs Kinect, i will focus on that rather than on PS3 vs X360.

Move sucks. It took Sony this many years to come up with a silly looking Wiimote clone? Not done! Kinect on the other hand is path breaking - no silly contraption to hold in hand. Agreed its a little raw now and there are performance concerns - but knowing M$, they will get it right soon with an upgrade. Kinect will evolve into a much more powerful and flexible platform.

PS3 has won the BD vs HD round, now X360 wins the controller round. By a mile.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 21st December 2010 at 19:44.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 21:51   #23
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
since the Thread title is related to Move vs Kinect, i will focus on that rather than on PS3 vs X360.

Move sucks. It took Sony this many years to come up with a silly looking Wiimote clone? Not done! Kinect on the other hand is path breaking - no silly contraption to hold in hand. Agreed its a little raw now and there are performance concerns - but knowing M$, they will get it right soon with an upgrade. Kinect will evolve into a much more powerful and flexible platform.

PS3 has won the BD vs HD round, now X360 wins the controller round. By a mile.
Hi Skywalker,

Can you be a bit more specific, i.e. in what sense did you feel that Move sucks ?
i.e. is it non responsive/has a lot of lag Or does not work smoothly in response to your movements of the controller .. etc..
Or is it that the games are downright silly games ?

how is it in comparison to the Wii with Motion+ ?

- Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:29   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Can you be a bit more specific, i.e. in what sense did you feel that Move sucks ?
i.e. is it non responsive/has a lot of lag Or does not work smoothly in response to your movements of the controller .. etc..
Or is it that the games are downright silly games ?

how is it in comparison to the Wii with Motion+ ?
Fillmore - specifics are here - "It took Sony this many years to come up with a silly looking Wiimote clone?"

I did try out both PS3 Move and Kinect (in a store, i dont own both yet ). I do own a Wii (and motion+ and blah blah though). I would say Move works perfect for what its aimed it. In fact i have to take a comparison at the corresponding games between Wii and PS3 in motion control - lets say Sports Island and Sports Champions - PS3 is pretty cool.

Of course I am not going to compare between PS3 & Wii. Apples and oranges. PS3 is much more mature platform and the visuals make look Wii a decade old. But coming back to the point on motion sensing controllers - Move just imitates the Wiimote - a technology that has been there for a long time, while Kinect breaks a new ground.

I was planning to pick up a PS3 this holiday season, decided to wait a little longer and get a v2 of Kinect, whenever that comes. As of now Kinect isn't very accurate - so either a firmware upgrade or V2 is for sure forthcoming.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 22nd December 2010 at 08:32.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:02   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
DVD
*-----
REGION 1 -- USA, Canada
REGION 2 -- Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
REGION 3 -- S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
REGION 0 or REGION ALL -- Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide
Source: DVD Region Codes - How DVD Region Codes Affect The Consumer - What You Need To Know


Blu Ray
*-----
A:East Asia (except Mainland China and Mongolia), Southeast Asia, the Americas and their dependencies.
Blu-ray region codes - map and explanation
Thanks a ton, Filmore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I picked up my PS3 from Heathrow last month. UK has region 'B' Blu-Rays whereas India comes under region 'C'. But in my experience so far, I have seen mostly region-free blu-rays in the stores in Bangalore.

PS - I do not own any Blu-Rays and I have not tried playing any of them either.
Thanks Hells_Fury. Can you please confirm regarding your assumption of region-free blu-rays in India?
Further, can i play HD content from an external hard drive via the PS3?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:22   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,465
Thanked: 692 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Also, what people thought is a bonus of getting a Blu ray player may not work anymore. How many of us watch HD movies on a blu ray disc? You dont need a disc anymore to store movies/data.
At the end of this year, MS would have outsold Sony by more than 2 million. I think the market has decided which is more favoured.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 18:26   #27
BHPian
 
MandarMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 176
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks a ton, Filmore!
Further, can i play HD content from an external hard drive via the PS3?
Yes you can. I have a 500GB HDD connected to the PS3 via USB and it works perfectly fine. I have backed up my entire DVD collection without any loss of quality in audio and video (dvd video with 5.1 dolby/dts soundtrack) on the hard drive.

The PS3 upscales videos to 1080p and videos are a treat to watch on a good large HD screen. The audio playback quality of PS3 is also very good. I take audio and video quality very seriously and use good quality TV and speakers. (I have a DALI Ikon 6 speaker system from Denmark, Velodyne sub with Marantz AVR and PS3 as a media hub which makes the whole experience top notch.)

As I have listed in my earlier post there are number of advantage of having a PS3, and like Sony says *It only does everything*. This a fact. Trust me PS3 is the best console period.
MandarMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 05:11   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Yes you can. I have a 500GB HDD connected to the PS3 via USB and it works perfectly fine. I have backed up my entire DVD collection without any loss of quality in audio and video (dvd video with 5.1 dolby/dts soundtrack) on the hard drive.

The PS3 upscales videos to 1080p and videos are a treat to watch on a good large HD screen. The audio playback quality of PS3 is also very good. I take audio and video quality very seriously and use good quality TV and speakers. (I have a DALI Ikon 6 speaker system from Denmark, Velodyne sub with Marantz AVR and PS3 as a media hub which makes the whole experience top notch.)

As I have listed in my earlier post there are number of advantage of having a PS3, and like Sony says *It only does everything*. This a fact. Trust me PS3 is the best console period.
Thanks @Mandarmax. I'm surely going to get a PS3.

Based on what you've told me, I presume:-
  1. There is no advantage going in for a 320 GB PS3 , when one can connect to an external drive-I have a 1 TB powered one. I guess the 160 GB console is a cheaper and better buy, unless there is a hidden advantage I am not aware of.
  2. Since it plays DTS too when connected to an external drive, I need not worry about converting my HD data to Dolby from DTS, as I am currently doing while using my WD Media player.
  3. The only deterrent from buying in the US or UK is the apprehension of not getting region-free dvds and blu ray disks in India---can anyone clarify this point please?
Thanks
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 10:44   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,043
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
DVD
*-----
REGION 1 -- USA, Canada
REGION 2 -- Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
REGION 3 -- S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
REGION 4 -- Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
REGION 5 -- Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
REGION 6 -- China
REGION 7 -- Reserved for Unspecified Special Use
REGION 8 -- Reserved for Cruise Ships, Airlines, etc...
REGION 0 or REGION ALL -- Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide
Source: DVD Region Codes - How DVD Region Codes Affect The Consumer - What You Need To Know


Blu Ray
*-----
A:East Asia (except Mainland China and Mongolia), Southeast Asia, the Americas and their dependencies.
B:Africa, Southwest Asia, Europe (except Russia), Oceania and their dependencies.
C:Central Asia, East Asia (Mainland China and Mongolia only), South Asia, central Eurasia and their dependencies.
Source: Blu-ray region codes - map and explanation
I tried playing a Casino Royale DVD that I got as a freebie with the Top Gear Mag, but it doesn't play on the PS3 that I bought from the US. I know its a region isssue.
Anyone know any method to make the PS3 region free?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 13:01   #30
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The only deterrent from buying in the US or UK is the apprehension of not getting region-free dvds and blu ray disks in India---can anyone clarify this point please?Thanks
I have checked out the Blu-Rays in some of the stores in Bangalore. Most of the discs that I came across were region-free. I checked only Hollywood movies, so no idea about Indian language films.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XBox 360, Playstation and other gaming consoles DCEite Gadgets, Computers & Software 1430 14th August 2017 23:56
The Playstation 2 Thread: Questions, tips, prices etc. Sheruken Gadgets, Computers & Software 320 6th January 2014 17:40
Move over Microsoft & Google. Apple is now the most valuable tech company!! GTO Shifting gears 12 28th May 2010 11:05
Playstation 2 repair in Mumbai. iceman7 Gadgets, Computers & Software 15 27th November 2008 14:57
nitroxx's 300 GB Playstation 3: DIY and pictures nitroxx Gadgets, Computers & Software 11 1st October 2008 10:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks