Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th February 2011, 19:16   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Convert that number to pre-paid on loop mobile. After that this number would be out of contract and can be switched.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 19:50   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Convert that number to pre-paid on loop mobile. After that this number would be out of contract and can be switched.
Not sure if that really works. A friend had his MNP for prepaid sim rejected, since he had activated some 1ps plan. He has been asked to wait until April.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 20:22   #258
Senior - BHPian

yes that can happen due to any special top-up done on pre-paid.

If a post-paid is converted to pre-paid and used as-is, this would not be an issue.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:47   #259
BHPian

Do the corporate plans (offered on the gates of IT companies by sales executives, paid by the user himself) have any restriction on portability?
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:03   #260
Senior - BHPian

I posted from Reliance CDMA to Reliance GSM. The service and network is very bad and since today morning, my number is out of service. While contacting customer care, they informed that this is a technical problem with ported numbers and will rectify within 48 hours.

I personally feel that porting to Reliance GSM was a big mistake.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 02:06   #261
Senior - BHPian

^^^Huge mistake dude. You should have done some research before porting.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 00:53   #262
Senior - BHPian

i am happy with vodafone in Bangalore. and i have this number for almost 7+ years now.
if i want new operator i will buy another phone. some how i like vodafone
recshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 22:58   #263
BHPian

Got my mobile ported from vodafone to Airtel for the very basic reason - Better Network ..
Had to fight with Vodafone to come out of it.. Bonus : Got a cheaper plan in Airtel
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 23:49   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Got my mobile ported from vodafone to Airtel for the very basic reason - Better Network ..
Had to fight with Vodafone to come out of it.. Bonus : Got a cheaper plan in Airtel

Good one sbala, but with airtel you have to be street smart to enjoy the low rates (don't have any idea about vodafone though), one small blip and they will rip you off. I am using skycell/airtel for the last 11 years and I know how to get the best of them.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:45   #265
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to move from Aircel Chennai to BSNL - primary reason being better network coverage, especially 3G coverage. The flip side would be the customer service (or the absence of it?), poor signals at certain areas, and not so attractive bill plans (I have a corporate plan with Aircel).

Does anyone have an experience of shifting from Aircel Chennai to BSNL or any other network.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:51   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I am planning to move from Aircel Chennai to BSNL - primary reason being better network coverage, especially 3G coverage.
Me too planning to move from Airtel to BSNL but when contacted A.C.C they had too many norms as mine is a corporate connection. So i might first convert my postpaid to prepaid and then opt for MNP.

Do let me know of your mobile journey.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 12:00   #267
Team-BHP Support

Is there any chance that Tata Docomo will come to NCR area. I read somewhere that no spectrum is left to allocate!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 13:10   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Good one sbala, but with airtel you have to be street smart to enjoy the low rates (don't have any idea about vodafone though), one small blip and they will rip you off. I am using skycell/airtel for the last 11 years and I know how to get the best of them.
Oh.. Thanks for your watchpoints
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 17:23   #269
Senior - BHPian

I am using Airtel for past 7 years and very much satidfied with the service. The only problem I faced with Airtel was Outgoing barred from 2nd March to 23rd March for no reason. Even customer care and Airtel store could not solve the problem after changing the SIM & handset. Friends suggested to switch to Vodafone through MNP, but i denied. Finally got corrected on 23rd.

Still I love Airtel for its Better coverage, responsive Customer Care (little doubtful), attractive call rates.

No idea of switching to any other network.

PS : I have a BSNL number too, but Airtel is my primary number.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 09:25   #270
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

Just an update on the above which is pretty disappointing to say the least. After a lot of haggling, Loop Mobile has finally told me that I will not be able to port my number for another year as I have been a long term customer (08 yrs) and have been enjoying freebies as a result of the same. They claim that as per TRAI rules, numbers enjoying such freebies are not eligible for porting. They have however released my Dad's number for porting and have asked me to resend the porting request which I did today at the Vodafone outlet and have been told that my Dad's number will be ported after 07 days but gave me no information about my number and have again asked me to contact Loop Mobile for the same. I asked the Vodafone executive about whether this rule is applicable to all service providers and surprisingly she replied in the affirmative.

Firstly, is this rule by TRAI true? If it is, don't you guys feel it is unfair to have such a rule as a customer is forced to use a service which he/she is not satisfied with?
I have requested to have my number changed to pre-paid and then will try and have it ported. I am hoping it will happen this time without any issues. I have already not only cleared my current outstanding but also paid 500 rupees more incase they come up with any other excuses with regards to outstanding.

I have now received a special trial SIM from Loop which gives you 1000 FREE local Loop Mobile minutes, 200 FREE other local minutes, SMS at 50p and STD to mobile at 50p/min. This is a 30 day trial period upon which when satisfied then they will shift you to this plan. Additional services are, just to name a few as the rest are not worth mentioning:

Your Own Relationship Manager - I already had this service but the relationship manager never picks up the call so it is useless.

Preferential Treatment - Whatever this means. Ive never got preferential treatment in the last 08 years. And got worse treatment when I wanted to port my number

Services - Like Cheque pick up, Ask for new connection at your door step, no deposit for any service - NOT REQUIRED BY ME AT LEAST

Golden Number - Reserved for you and your loved ones. But you still have to pay!!

Free SIM Replacement - This should be standard! Don't see the big deal or 'service' in this.

I also have the relationship manager's name and number on the package and on calling her just now at 0915 hrs, I was politely told by her to kindly call between the working hours between 1100 hrs to 1800 hrs. So much for me being a so called 'Platinum Club Member'!!!

I do not understand why they cannot get it in their think skulls that all these 'so called' services are useless if your network is not up to the mark!!!
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote