Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th July 2011, 02:01   #301
BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

@rki2007-Thanks for the info!
BTW, have been enjoying the X1-01's music capabilities, both FM & MP3 playback from the 3gb Micro SD card I picked up.Truly amazing sound qualities!
The stock Headset that came with the phone is just average, like any free phones, but the sound gets far better when I hooked up the Panasonic XBass on-ear 'phones,& outstanding when I connected my Grado SR60i HP's.The better the HP's you hook-up, the better the sound gets.
And fab battery life-I've been listening to FM/Mp3's every day for several hours since the last four days & the charge level is still at 3bars/5 when fully charged.
Regards
Kamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 10:03   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
@rki2007-Thanks for the info!
BTW, have been enjoying the X1-01's music capabilities, both FM & MP3 playback from the 3gb Micro SD card I picked up.Truly amazing sound qualities!
The stock Headset that came with the phone is just average, like any free phones, but the sound gets far better when I hooked up the Panasonic XBass on-ear 'phones,& outstanding when I connected my Grado SR60i HP's.The better the HP's you hook-up, the better the sound gets.
And fab battery life-I've been listening to FM/Mp3's every day for several hours since the last four days & the charge level is still at 3bars/5 when fully charged.
Regards
Hi kamal yes i understand that that the music quality is very good. I am using another dual sim basic phone of Samsung called Samsung guru in which the voice quality is extremely bad and lot of disturbance exists. By the way how is X1 01 in the voice clarity while talking to callers.
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 23:12   #303
BHPian

Voice quality is excellent.But that is also a function of the network quality & signal strength from the tower serving your location.
I'm hoping it'll get even better when my Airtel sim gets activated.
Kamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 16:31   #304
t18
BHPian

I was using TATA Indicom for the past two years and the coverage and voice clarity was excellent. But was bored of using boring CDMA handsets. Thats when I changed to TATA Docomo. A big mistake I made, now im left without a mobile all through the day at my office as there is no coverage in here and the voice quality is bad. When I complained them about it here is what was their reply:
Dear Mr. XXX
This is in reference to the docket number 307xxx for the concern raised by you on network coverage for your TATA DOCOMO connection (Number 9XXXXXXXXX ).
We would like to assure you that we at Tata DOCOMO use stringent measurement and control applications to ensure that you receive error-free services. We are continuously working towards upgrading our network to ensure that the coverage is as extensive as possible.
As per the docket number 307xxx, we would like to assure you that our network team is working on improving the services by planning cell sites, throughout the city.
We request your co-operation till such time.
Do feel free to write in to listen.rom@tatadocomo.com or call us on 121 (Toll free in home network) for any further queries or clarifications.
Assuring you best of our services at all times.
Thanking you
Customer Care Team
Tata Docomo

Now, when I wanted to get back to Indicom they say I will have to stay with Docomo for 90 days only then can I port again.What a pain .
t18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 19:16   #305
Senior - BHPian

You could have tried a prepaid before porting! Now you can not port to other network for 90 days. If the coverage is nill, get another connection and use call forward facility so that you don't miss any important calls.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 12:20   #306
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd probably shift over to Reliance only because:

1. Full range at home.

2. I've seen Dad's phone catch range on outstation drives, when my Vodafone didn't even have a single bar!
Just made the switch & moved to Reliance CDMA. The network & range of Reliance CDMA in Mumbai can blow your mind; areas where no GSM provider catches (e.g. my place), you can use CDMA like a cordless phone, walking around the house. Even rural parts of MH are well-covered. We visited a place at Pawna (near Lonavla) recently, and while all GSM phones were duds, the CDMAs were the only phones that could be used for co-ordination. Ditto on a recent trip to a house in a remote neighbourhood of Mahabaleshwar.

Sourcing good CDMA phones isn't a problem anymore. Got myself a Samsung Fascinate, though I am a fan of Nokia phones and wish they hadn't abandoned the CDMA segment. A CDMA version of my N86 would be much preferred!

Did I mention how cheap Reliance is? 1 paisa per second plans
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 12:26   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
I was using TATA Indicom for the past two years and the coverage and voice clarity was excellent. But was bored of using boring CDMA handsets. Thats when I changed to TATA Docomo. A big mistake I made, now im left without a mobile all through the day at my office as there is no coverage in here
From your quote, i remove Tata Indicom and add Reliance CDMA and voila, its my case.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 14:07   #308
Senior - BHPian

AFAICT, CDMA is technologically superior and efficient. Only if Qualcomm (they are the patent holders in CDMA technology) were reasonable in their royalty demands. A single CDMA tower can cover several Km in radius, while radius of a GSM tower is only a few kms.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 15:06   #309
BHPian

Looks like most companies have put an end to the price wars and started to increase rates.

I've been using Airtel in Bangalore just for the network it provides(comes in handy while going to hometown) but they've now cut down the GPRS data limit from 2GB to 1GB and charge Rs52 pack for national SMS pack.

I use Tata Docomo at home and am pleased with the offers and network they offer. I dont want another docomo sim for Bangalore.

Now, am considering what used to be unthinkable (porting to BSNL)

3Gb internet for the same rate as airtel/vodafone, national sms @1p for Rs13 pack etc surely seem tempting.

However, am not sure about the recharge process in which it seems like you need to do RsX recharge every yr/6months.

Last edited by athul_S : 20th August 2011 at 15:07.
athul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 18:49   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
AFAICT, CDMA is technologically superior and efficient. Only if Qualcomm (they are the patent holders in CDMA technology) were reasonable in their royalty demands. A single CDMA tower can cover several Km in radius, while radius of a GSM tower is only a few kms.
No doubt that CDMA is a better technology than GSM. But i differ regarding the coverage from a CDMA tower is more than that of GSM provided both are operating in almost in the same frequency band.
But due to more spectrum efficiency, a CDMA carrier frequency can accomodate more calls at a time than that of a GSM carrier frequency.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 15:13   #311
BHPian

Anyone knows how long does it take to get ported from bsnl to airtel? I applied on 3rd of this month and there has been no communication from either of the operators.
_chikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 21:21   #312
Senior - BHPian

Is there a FAQ on this anywhere?

Specifically, does this involve any annual payment?

For those who have done this - how good is the "terminal service" - like refund of deposit from the leaving provider? (Idea, in my case).

Considering BSNL - purely for coverage reasons. I need to travel quite a bit by train, and usually keep the phone in airplane mode to save battery. For some reason, had to borrow dad's BSNL connection for a couple of days, and was surprised that there was no significant drain on the battery even after a 5 hour train journey. And there was coverage almost throughout.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 10:17   #313
Senior - BHPian

I've decided to switch my operator. From Airtel to Vodafone. Airtel doesn't have good coverage in my home area and their EDGE connection breaks up all the time now.

My billing cycle ends at 3rd of every month. So, it will be better to pay off the unbilled amount immediately after this date, may be on 4th or 5th.

Just wanted to know what is the best workflow in order to switch without paying up heavy amounts (because un-billed amounts are huge now, it only reduces while bill is generated) to clear off your outstanding amounts? Shall I start the process much before 3rd of next month or only after paying the bill on 4th?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 10:37   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I've decided to switch my operator. From Airtel to Vodafone.
Good decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My billing cycle ends at 3rd of every month. So, it will be better to pay off the unbilled amount immediately after this date, may be on 4th or 5th.

Just wanted to know what is the best workflow in order to switch without paying up heavy amounts (because un-billed amounts are huge now, it only reduces while bill is generated) to clear off your outstanding amounts? Shall I start the process much before 3rd of next month or only after paying the bill on 4th?
Wait till your billing date. Settle your bill in full and also pay some additional amount (depends on your usage, as to how much extra). Proceed with the porting procedure - send PORT <number> to 1900 and submit the documents to Vodafone.

In my case, the billing date was on the 22nd of every month. However, I sent the porting request on 11th and the switching took place on 18th. I had paid some 200~ rupees additional during the previous billing cycle. After porting, AirTel sent me a bill of Rs.2 (for which I dropped a crossed cheque )
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 13:49   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Good decision
Wait till your billing date. Settle your bill in full and also pay some additional amount (depends on your usage, as to how much extra). Proceed with the porting procedure - send PORT <number> to 1900 and submit the documents to Vodafone.
In my case, the billing date was on the 22nd of every month. However, I sent the porting request on 11th and the switching took place on 18th. I had paid some 200~ rupees additional during the previous billing cycle. After porting, AirTel sent me a bill of Rs.2 (for which I dropped a crossed cheque )
Thanks. So I pay the bill in full on 4th, and then send the SMS. What will happen to my service afterwards? Can I still use Airtel's services until Vodafone gives me their SIM? What about the usage charges during that time? If it takes a week, then the un-billed usage charges will creep up to a fairly large amount even with minimal usage. :(
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote