Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st December 2012, 02:13   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Porting out from Vodafone

Note: Pardon a long post. Just wanted to put down my recent experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Will update on the success/failure of my current porting attempt. As per the idea sales guy, Vodafone are very resilient in not letting their postpaid guys to port out. But I'm not giving up without a fight for sure!
Ok - After a week of futile calls to Vodafone customer care, a lot of mails and a visit to a Vodafone store, my porting request gets cancelled! Ironically only hours after being told by the Vodafone (feedback) customer care executive that the porting request will be successfully completed in a few days. Here's the experience :

10th Dec : I raise the porting request by sending the sms to 1900. Idea sales guys take the form and provide the blank sim. I go online and pay up my pending bills and also park an additional credit (of my average monthly bill) to cater to unbilled amount.

11th Dec : I receive a call from Vodafone customer care asking reasons for my porting out, and they offer to correct them. I refuse the option and re-confirm that I do want to port out.

14th Dec : In spite of no further response from Vodafone, Idea continues the process and does a verification check. As per their executive, Idea has completed it's side of the tasks and now only Vodafone needs to complete its activities. Once I'm ported out from their system - the Idea sim should start functioning immediately.

I give a call to Vodafone customer care (VCC). After some 30 minutes and being transferred/put on hold a few times I am informed that postpaid (corporate) customers are on "CONTRACT" agreement and can not be ported out. I argue with them and point out to share the document where I have signed so. After some more arguments I am told that I need to send a "Break Contract request" mail to the corporate id.

I send the mail by lunch time. I get an (auto) response stating they'll respond in 48 hours.

17th Dec : Since I receive no response, I call up the customer care; I am given the same repeated information about contract & stuff, and then I'm told that they can't see my mail in their system. I am told to wait for a day for the system to be "updated". I point out that if (as per their system) they haven't received my email yet, they won't get it a day later either. Still they repeat the same and cut the call.

I send a few more reminders mails. I also receive a sms stating they have received the porting request and will revert in 96 hours TAT.

18th Dec : I again call Vodafone CC to check if any of my mails are reflecting in their system. It doesn't. Do note, I get acknowledgement for each mail, confirming that the ID is valid. They also inform me that my porting request has been rejected due to the contract aspect. I point out that I have not received any sms update. They ask me to visit a Vodafone store.

Leaving my office work, I head to the nearest store; the executive over there requests me to send her the copy of the mail; and I do so. She informs me that she has forwarded the request to the zonal office/head and my contract will be cleared within 24 hours. She has no clear idea on the porting request though.

Within an hour of the store visit, I receive a deja-vu call from customer care team asking reasons for my porting out. I provide the same and confirm again that I indeed want to port out. They confirm that the contract will be cleared in 24 hours, but no clarity on the porting request, apparently it is still active.

I also tweet about my porting mess keeping Vodafone in the message.

19th Dec : I send a reminder mail to the store executive requesting an update. Later during the day I again call up the customer care and they inform me that the contract has been cancelled. I am informed that the porting process is ongoing and will take a TAT of 7 days (from 17th).

In the evening I finally receive a reply to my original mail (dated 17th) from Vodafone corporate team with a general info on how to port out and feedback; there is no relevant reply to my mail content.

20th Dec : In response to my tweet, I receive a call from Vodafone. This seems to be from a senior person as he goes into the complete situation from the start and tries very hard to defend Vodafone's messy process as well as the reasons for the delay and confusion. I point out the glaring issues at their end and even give him a one-on-one comparison on how effortless it was for me to port out of Airtel & Idea in the past as compared to Vodafone.

As a final confirmation he informs me that my contract has been cancelled, and my porting request is still on. As there seems to be no pending issues (contract/unbilled amount), the porting process would get cleared as per TAT. I thank him and end the call.

A few hours after the call, I receive an sms stating my porting request has been rejected due to contractual obligations and I should contact Vodafone customer care for further details.

I call them up, and I am told that the request originating on 17th was probably rejected due to the contract which was broken only on 19th. I am told to raise a porting request again and go through the process again.

After everything, Vodafone tweets to me - "Hope we were able to assist you. Thanks for talking to us". Honestly I have nothing to respond back.

P.s. I am raising a porting request again. No doubt about it.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st December 2012 at 02:15.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 08:55   #332
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Porting out from Vodafone

Quote:
Note: Pardon a long post. Just wanted to put down my recent experience....P.s. I am raising a porting request again. No doubt about it.
Why not try this, to give them a kick up their you-know-where?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...me-you-do.html (Heard of pgportal.gov.in? About time you do)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 09:04   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Why not try this, to give them a kick up their you-know-where?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...me-you-do.html (Heard of pgportal.gov.in? About time you do)

Cheers,
Vikram
Already did that a few days back. All I got was a sms stating a request has been raised. No further inputs or any names/contact numbers.

Not exactly sure on what basis GTO raised a request - the Grievance Registration Form gives option for only central & state government departments - I didn't see any private organization option to select. Just selected "Government of Maharashtra" and lodged the request. However this will be followed up after one more round of MNP request.

Edit: Checked the status on the website - they have provided a contact name & number. Cool! Will probably look it up this week or later.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st December 2012 at 09:11.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:19   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note:Ok - After a week of futile calls to Vodafone customer care, a lot of mails and a visit to a Vodafone store, my porting request gets cancelled!
Having contractual obligations is one of the cases where your porting request is allowed to be cancelled. So Vodafone might be in the right here. In any case, the standard operating procedure for all mobile-related issues is to interact with the customer service ONCE (more than that and you will start to doubt your own sanity), and then escalate to the nodal officer - contact details of whom should be available on the website of your operator. If the nodal officer also doesn't resolve your problem satisfactorily, then you can certainly write to TRAI. Bad-faith rejection of porting requests attract fines. See this:

http://www.trai.gov.in/Content/Regul...154&id=0&qid=9

Look at the amendment document dated 19/9/12. TRAI will impose fines on the operator in genuine cases.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 11:06   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Having contractual obligations is one of the cases where your porting request is allowed to be cancelled. So Vodafone might be in the right here. In any case, the standard operating procedure for all mobile-related issues is to interact with the customer service ONCE (more than that and you will start to doubt your own sanity), and then escalate to the nodal officer - contact details of whom should be available on the website of your operator. If the nodal officer also doesn't resolve your problem satisfactorily, then you can certainly write to TRAI. Bad-faith rejection of porting requests attract fines. See this:

http://www.trai.gov.in/Content/Regul...154&id=0&qid=9

Look at the amendment document dated 19/9/12. TRAI will impose fines on the operator in genuine cases.
In my 10 years of mobile ownership, I have never signed a contract with any operator. While filling the form for a new sim with any operator, I always scan for clauses that state anything related to a contract or period-bound relationship; if there is one I ask them to remove it or reject that operator.

All postpaid connections (corporate offers) offer more or less the same benefits with a few addons/differences. Why should I or anyone agree to any kind of contract unless there is something additional (like a mobile purchase at a discount, etc). That is the benefit of having such competition in the market - the consumer is the king.

The MNP procedure is very simple and universal to all operators. The "contract" is just a gimmick by Vodafone to cause one more level of delay. If it was that legal, why don't they advertise or put it up on their website, or be transparent about it. I have asked them to revert the details of this contract on email - they don't do that.

Anyway in my case I plan to go through the porting process once more; considering my "contract" has been canceled; after that I would take up the PGportal/nodal officer route.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st December 2012 at 11:07.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:20   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my 10 years of mobile ownership, I have never signed a contract with any operator.
Not sure I understood what you mean here. The fact that you have a usable (post-paid) mobile connection is evidence of a contractual relationship between you and the provider. The basic plan is a contract. Add-ons - GPRS/3G, roaming, SMS packs, hello/caller tunes, CUG - are all contracts too.

In my experience, the DSAs who say "sir aap kewal idhar, idhar aur idhar sign kar dijiye, baaki sab mein fill kar dunga" are the ones who check all irrelevant/spammy boxes in the sign-up form (which is the contract between you and the operator, btw).
Old 21st December 2012, 11:34   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not sure I understood what you mean here. The fact that you have a usable (post-paid) mobile connection is evidence of a contractual relationship between you and the provider. The basic plan is a contract. Add-ons - GPRS/3G, roaming, SMS packs, hello/caller tunes, CUG - are all contracts too.

In my experience, the DSAs who say "sir aap kewal idhar, idhar aur idhar sign kar dijiye, baaki sab mein fill kar dunga" are the ones who check all irrelevant/spammy boxes in the sign-up form (which is the contract between you and the operator, btw).
Rather I am not clear on who's side are you making the point.

If a postpaid connection itself is being referred as an contract, then the porting out process that has been laid done by the government is the process to break the "contract"/connection. There doesn't need to (be) additional steps to circumvent it. For instance the rejection sms I got states "Your porting request has been rejected due to contractual obligations". Heck that is why the porting process is there - to break the connection; whether you call it a contract or anything else. If all other operators can follow it, why does Vodafone have to create its own process! That too without it being declared anywhere public.

As for the second point of yours, read my previous post again - I had clarified it clearly. Anyway this conversation is going OT, I'll revert on this thread once the second round of porting gets cleared with a possible list of (helpful) steps that other Vodafone users could follow up when they want to port out.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:46   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Now with 900MHz in a soup, I am quite happy with my Reliance CDMA at 800MHz. With the congestion down the service is excellent.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 11:53   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If a postpaid connection itself is being referred as an contract, then the porting out process that has been laid done by the government is the process to break the "contract"/connection.
Ah, now I see. Unfortunately, that is how the porting policy is. The porting process only provides for breaking the "basic telephony" contract between you and your current operator. If you have anything beyond that with the operator, they are free to reject your porting request. This is a loophole in the system.

For example, if your phone carries a blackberry plan, then you have to terminate that plan yourself, and only then go through the porting process. Otherwise it will be rejected. Ditto for 3G plans and so on.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:04   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All postpaid connections (corporate offers) offer more or less the same benefits with a few addons/differences. Why should I or anyone agree to any kind of contract unless there is something additional (like a mobile purchase at a discount, etc).
This is not a consumer connection, it is tied to a corporate CUG contract. Contractually they cant even issue a replacement SIM (E.g. getting a Micro SIM instead of usual mini SIM) to you without clearance from company.

For these connections, it would be easier go to though whoever deals with telco in your organization. They can get it done without going though call center etc.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 12:17   #341
BHPian

Quote:

Why don't you convert your post paid connection to a pre paid connection ?

That way, this contract would be out of the picture and the service provider would not be able to reject your porting request.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 12:43   #342
BHPian

Quote:

I had been at a Vodafone store about a month ago with a cousin.

There was a lady, who had just brought a new sim from the vodafone store a week ago. Mind you, a new sim, and no protablity. The lady was so furious on their service, as they were giving false promises that the sim would get activated within an hour every time she called them up.
She demanded that the sim be activated then and there, but the executive was asking her to wait for a day more. How much time does it take for a sim to get activated, an hour I guess is more than enough.
By what the lady said, the documents were all in place, and the executive could not provide any details as why was the sim not activated yet.

Is vodafone following the Skoda path?
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 00:17   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1 Vodafone store visit, 2 porting attempts, numerous e-mails to corporate customer care id, in-numerable follow-up and clarification calls to customer care (I think I made maximum number of calls to 111 last month ), and finally after 24 days, I have finally ported out of Vodafone and entered into Idea network!
Old 20th January 2013, 22:18   #344
Team-BHP Support

I sent PORT <my number> to 1900 but did not get any code back. How to proceed? Should I keep sending this PORT message?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 23:24   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I sent PORT <my number> to 1900 but did not get any code back. How to proceed? Should I keep sending this PORT message?
In my experience, the reply (message) has been instantaneous, irrespective of the operator or time or day. Wait for a while, and send it again. Should not be an issue for multiple requests.