Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st January 2013, 00:11   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I sent PORT <my number> to 1900 but did not get any code back. How to proceed? Should I keep sending this PORT message?
The reply is almost instant. The server might be down due to some reason.Try again in a little while. Multiple requests don't regenerate the porting request but only resends you the unique porting id valid for that period of time.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 00:11   #347
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
In my experience, the reply (message) has been instantaneous, irrespective of the operator or time or day. Wait for a while, and send it again. Should not be an issue for multiple requests.
I am on reliance. They may be blocking such requests at their end. Nothing is impossible when it comes to reliance.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:40   #348
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I went to idea office to apply for their Sim, as I am porting my number to idea.

The rep gave me a normal sim, but I asked for a micro sim to use with my One X. He told me that initially they will only give a normal sim and later one has to apply for a micro.

I told him that I'll cut the normal one and use. His reply was :

"If you cut the normal sim, you won't get data. Even if you do, it will be slow. "

I told him it is crap talk, he wasn't happy. I guess they want to charge that extra money from every customer opting for a micro sim.

Any such experiences?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:22   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yesterday I went to idea office to apply for their Sim, as I am porting my number to idea.

The rep gave me a normal sim, but I asked for a micro sim to use with my One X. He told me that initially they will only give a normal sim and later one has to apply for a micro.

I told him that I'll cut the normal one and use. His reply was :

"If you cut the normal sim, you won't get data. Even if you do, it will be slow. "

I told him it is crap talk, he wasn't happy. I guess they want to charge that extra money from every customer opting for a micro sim.

Any such experiences?
Perhaps you should ask him if there will be a delay or lag in calls as well after you cut the sim! Technically you should face no issue, make sure the cut is properly aligned, thats all.
Also, if possible, visit another Idea gallery and cross check their response as well.
Document both with names and date and time and send across the same to officer/ appellate authority as per: http://www.ideacellular.com/wps/wcm/...f38cd418bc2da3
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:54   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any such experiences?
A simpler option is to visit any normal mobile shop/gallery. They have the cutter available with them and do this job for free/minor fee.

P.s. My apple micro-converted-nano airtel sim is working perfectly fine. No call drops or absence of any services.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:13   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any such experiences?
DIY DIY DIY. Just pick up the scissors and cut it yourself, at-least that's what I did for my One X when 3 Vodafone outlets never had a micro SIM to part with.
3G works flawlessly.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:02   #352
BHPian

Advantage of getting the sim cut using a sim cutter is that the outer part (remaining section after you cut the microsim part out) can always be re-used with the microsim to get back a regular mini sim.

I bought a sim cutter from Ebay for 85rs and it is working perfectly well
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:43   #353
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is anyone aware if we can port corporate numbers and still keep benefits like full international roaming, credit limit, etc?
mjumrani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:02   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Is anyone aware if we can port corporate numbers and still keep benefits like full international roaming, credit limit, etc?
No, the benefits go away. To the new operator you are just another new customer. Although with some operators you can negotiate for the benefits.depends.

Porting corporate numbers is generally not hassle free IMO.

Last edited by k2max6 : 23rd April 2013 at 22:04.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:23   #355
Senior - BHPian

I am porting out of Reliance after being with them for over 6 years. Sent the request and got the porting code. Looking to port into Bsnl, Docomo or Idea for the benefit of 3G and carrying only one phone at a time

Which operator is having better 3g services in Bangalore?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:59   #356
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

No, the benefits go away. To the new operator you are just another new customer. Although with some operators you can negotiate for the benefits.depends.

Porting corporate numbers is generally not hassle free IMO.
:(

How better or worse is Airtel 3G when it comes to Delhi? Specifically on iPhone 5?
mjumrani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 11:45   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

A few months ago, I was fed up with my operator, BSNL, for having frequent dropped calls. I almost ported out. Just as a last resort, I changed my network setting to use the GSM mode, rather than the Dual mode. And the problem never happened again. It's a relief now but to access 3G connectivity, I have to take the pain of changing the network connectivity to dual mode again. However, I can use the gprs 2G in the current setting anytime.

But I am living up with this inconvenience as the network coverage esp. in remote areas or while travelling, call & data charges etc. are unbeatable for BSNL.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 24th April 2013 at 11:47.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 22:38   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my Airtel SIM got deactivated, and I put the Idea SIM and called the activation number. All verification process went through fine, and then then the rep realized that there's some technical issue and asked me to call again for activation after 5 hours.

I thought one could immediately make the activation call but it will get activated after 4-5 hours, but seems wrong. Will they treat it as a failed activation attempt?

Last edited by clevermax : 29th April 2013 at 22:39.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:13   #359
Senior - BHPian

Update: Got the sim activated today morning. Recharged and activated 2G for now. Even 2G speeds are much better in Idea. (24 kilo Bytes per sec compared to ~10 kilo Bytes / sec in Airtel)

Got very good coverage indoors too. Indoor coverage was always a problem in Airtel Kerala network because of the higher frequency band.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:40   #360
Senior - BHPian

Just ported from a T24 (Do Co Mo) connection to Aircel prepaid as heard that they have one of the lowest on net tariffs which can be used among our close circle.

Have just got the sim but would like to know their service in and around Bangalore if any one has Aircel.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote