Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st May 2013, 09:32   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

After having voted that I will switch I have not. I have stuck with Reliance CDMA (very good coverage, sound quality, and cheap data), and BSNL - GSM which has the widest network. When we were in Ladakh three years ago, and Andamans two years ago outside Port Blair they were the only ones working with a reasonable connectivity.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 10:32   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
After having voted that I will switch I have not. I have stuck with Reliance CDMA (very good coverage, sound quality, and cheap data), and BSNL - GSM which has the widest network. When we were in Ladakh three years ago, and Andamans two years ago outside Port Blair they were the only ones working with a reasonable connectivity.
I ported from Reliance CDMA to Reliance GSM for better handset options and now to Docomo for 3G network and better 3G plans in Bangalore. I had very bad experiences with Docomo customer care but others too are in the same boat.

Having used other networks, I must say that BSNL and Reliance CDMA are the best networks to be in, for those who travel a lot outside cities.

I am unable to forward my Reliance/Tata calls to BSNL. TRAI may find a solution for this at the earliest!
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 11:46   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On roaming, can't we lock on to the BSNL GSM network?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 10:30   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

I have ported by Bhai Saheb Nahin Lagega GSM postpaid to Vodafone. Fairly painless. On the 11th I did the 1900 Post xxxx fote ack and noted the number. My dealer informed me that for a postpaid I have to visit a Voda store. Went on the 12th, filled up the forms, needed a photograph, my Passport copy, bill and receipt (both e-) and the port ack no. The chap advised me to make some payment even though my 2000 deposit was there. So on my way back paid another Rs.600 at the Exchange and gave a copy of the receipt to the Voda guy.

Got an sms from Voda on the 18th lunchtime. They said they will come back with the date and time. Before that happened, the line went dead, put in the Voda SIM and was back in business. 2G connections APN's preprogrammed. 3G I have not applied for.

BSNL were only too happy to get rid of one more customer, never got a call or anything.

The signal had been variable (0-5 bars oscillating at times). What got my goat was that my wife could not get a good connection in Kolkata sitting in Park Street!

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th November 2013 at 10:32.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 11:39   #380
BHPian

Switched from the useless pre-paid Tata Docomo network to BSNL recently and the process was seamless. Only pain involved was that I had to go over to the BSNL service centre and fill the forms again (as the online ones do not have the serial no embossed).

Docomo network reception as very poor at most places in the city. Since the phone number was interesting (according to me) and known to quite a few friends, I wanted to retain it. I have my main SIM - vodafone postpaid plan with 600 local minutes free - for my normal calls.

BSNL pre-paid has interesting plans of 6 month validity here in KA. A Rs. 77 recharge gets you calls to any network at 17ps/15sec and 70 free text messages (any network - national as well) / month free which is a very decent deal. Any additional talk time, just recharge Rs 200 and you get full talk time. Planning to enable the Rs 1251 data plan which will be valid for 1 year (gives 750mb/month of 3G data ~ 105rs/month ) and I should be connected 24x7 on my workhorse Lenovo P780 :P
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 23:46   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Bhai Saheb Nahin Lagega

BSNL were only too happy to get rid of one more customer, never got a call or anything.
I thought it was supposed to be "Bahar Sadakpar Nikalkar Laga"

BSNL is actually ethical in that it processed your request for moving off their network with number portability. Initially, when number portability was introduced, some providers would do whatever they could to prevent you from shifting and to keep you on their networks for at least one extra billing cycle.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 07:18   #382
BHPian

I never ported , but they did. My first service provider was BPL mobile, which became Hutch mobile. And finally it was taken over by Vodafone
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 15:50   #383
Senior - BHPian

OT: Getting incoming calls pre fixed with 910 since yesterday. Can we expect One India plans anytime shortly?

Why this 0 in between?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 22:51   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Switched from the useless pre-paid Tata Docomo network to BSNL recently and the process was seamless. Only pain involved was that I had to go over to the BSNL service centre and fill the forms again (as the online ones do not have the serial no embossed).
How long did it take for the BSNL sim to get provisioned once the DoCoMo sim stopped working?
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 22:59   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
How long did it take for the BSNL sim to get provisioned once the DoCoMo sim stopped working?
The porting was scheduled on a Friday at 11pm. I had forgotten & the phone battery drained out & was switched off. Next day morning, just put the new SIM and it was working. So, theoretically, it was done overnight :P
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 09:02   #386
BHPian

I opted to port from Vodafone(prepaid) to Airtel postpaid. My experience has been quite similar to others have posted here.

29-11 : Signed up with Airtel and gave them the porting code
02-12 : Had the verification done. Received an sms in the evening from 1901, saying that the porting request has been accepted. Thank you for choosing Airtel.
14-12 : The porting code expires today. No progress.

9 working days have passed, no progress. As per Vodafone, to maximise revenue, they keep their customers until they can and let them go on the day that their port code expires.

I'll know by tomorrow.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 08:15   #387
BHPian

Airtel told me that Vodafone isn't letting them to port me out. I'm stuck for the time being.

Anyone from Vodafone or Airtel here ? Need help.
Old 15th December 2013, 08:57   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Airtel told me that Vodafone isn't letting them to port me out. I'm stuck for the time being.

Anyone from Vodafone or Airtel here ? Need help.
Voda have no legal grounds to force you in their network. Please raise a complaint in pgportal.gov.In/ trai website. It should work. No, Iam not working for Voda or Airtel.
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 09:52   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Voda have no legal grounds to force you in their network. Please raise a complaint in pgportal.gov.In/ trai website. It should work. No, Iam not working for Voda or Airtel.
Thank you. Grievance has been registered. I received an email and sms instantly. I'm feeling good about this.
Old 3rd January 2014, 20:46   #390
BHPian

Basis the grievance I registered, DOT woke Airtel up and had the floor and store manager call me. Airtel had me fill in another form and made a 2nd attempt at porting. Yet again, they made a mistake while entering in the details and Vodafone rejected my 2nd port port request. Despite multiple managers of Airtel being involved, they managed to ruin it.

Vodafone was very organised and gentle while servicing my requests. Airtel on the other hand; not so much. I'll remain with Vodafone for the time being. I really hope they takeover Tata Teleservices and are able to provide 3G in Karnataka because of that.