Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th February 2014, 11:08   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

I switched from Bhai Saheb Nahin Lagega (aka BSNL) to Vodafone about four months ago. No problems whatsoever. Why - my wife was in Kolkata for a month and a half and was getting erratic signals even in Park Street, and Alipore. This time when we went with the Voda- no issues. Why Vodafone - they are old inn UP (predate BSNL), are on 900MHz and have a 3G license.

Now I am considering my Reliance to Voda either this month or next month. I expect some Stürm and Drang, esp since it is a very old (DAPO) connection. Reasons, too many call drops and near zero data connectivity.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 15:50   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

I put in the papers and request to port from Reliance to Voda today. No response so far to PORT <no> to 1900 sent at around 10:25am. The Voda chap told me that Reliance and Tata Docomo take their own sweet time which can be as much as a day. What does one do if nothing happens!! Have repeated the sms four times!

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th February 2014 at 15:53.
Old 13th February 2014, 15:06   #408
BHPian

Switched my wife's Vodafone to Airtel. Reason 3G.

She used her Vodafone for 3 years and the 3G data became poor to bad to worse to . Vodafone do not have 3G license in Karnataka and service was provided with agreement with Airtel.

Sent SMS to port on Saturday and received the code on Sunday. Applied to Airtel on Monday. Address verification was done by Tuesday noon.

Friday evening received SMS from Vodafone that they have got my porting request. The porting will take around 96 Hours. They will let me know the exact date and time of switch.

After receiving the SMS, went ahead and recharge 20 rupees on wife phone to stretch for 3 days. Got a no sim signal on phone within 30 min of recharge. Put in the Airtel sim, it is activated. Vodafone took my 20 rupees :-(.

Now, interesting development at Airtel side. I have Airtel connection. Last time when I wanted to change my billing address, they said they do not accept rental agreement and bank statement is only accepted with a stamp from bank only (no computerized statement that we get every quarter). This time during porting application, I have bank statement without the stamp. The sales guy told me, sir, don't give this statement as this will be rejected being without the stamp. Don't give any document at all. I will manage the address .

And he did manage with the address.
PetrolRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 16:26   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Switched my wife's Vodafone to Airtel. Reason 3G.
I ported out from ScareTel to Vodafone for a billing fraud in 3G services, 3 years ago. Vodafone doesn't provide 3G services to new customers anymore. They have a tie-up with Airtel to use their 3G network and provide the service to existing Vodafone 3G customers. My experience with Airtel customer service concerning 3G had been extremely pathetic. For a similar (technical) issue, the Vodafone customer support sprang into action a lot quicker and the problem was rectified in a jiffy. My guess is, the support staff in charge of escalations would have cracked the whip on the Airtel personnel who won't budge to customers' complaints.

I hope you don't end up seeing the dark side, as I did.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 18:11   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I put in the papers and request to port from Reliance to Voda today. No response so far to PORT <no> to 1900 sent at around 10:25am. The Voda chap told me that Reliance and Tata Docomo take their own sweet time which can be as much as a day. What does one do if nothing happens!! Have repeated the sms four times!
I hope you would have got the porting code by now.
I assume you are doing it from your reliance number. Try sending from another phone. I think you can send the sms from any phone and it is not necessary to send it from the same number that you are trying to port. I didn't face any problem generating the porting code in Airtel and Vodafone.
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 18:15   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I ported out from ScareTel to Vodafone for a billing fraud in 3G services, 3 years ago. Vodafone doesn't provide 3G services to new customers anymore. They have a tie-up with Airtel to use their 3G network and provide the service to existing Vodafone 3G customers. My experience with Airtel customer service concerning 3G had been extremely pathetic. For a similar (technical) issue, the Vodafone customer support sprang into action a lot quicker and the problem was rectified in a jiffy. My guess is, the support staff in charge of escalations would have cracked the whip on the Airtel personnel who won't budge to customers' complaints.

I hope you don't end up seeing the dark side, as I did.
Using Airtel for long time in different cities, from their glory days to this day. I agree their customer care do believe in customer harassment as their mantra recently.
But, as I have also used Vodafone, BSNL, Aircel, Docomo and Reliance, all are same. It could be a bad day for you with any of the operators (with exception of Reliance which is just bad any day). That is the reason my wife stick to Vodafone for 3 long years @ 11kbps 3G speed, but recently it was unbearable when call drop and voice quality deterioration rises to unusable state.

As of Bangalore, Airtel service (I mean service as voice quality, data speed, coverage etc and not customer scare) is quiet better than the competitors and touch wood didn't face any scary issue till now.
Old 13th February 2014, 18:41   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Try sending from another phone. I think you can send the sms from any phone and it is not necessary to send it from the same number that you are trying to port. I didn't face any problem generating the porting code in Airtel and Vodafone.
I am afraid the rule is to send SMS from the mobile number of interest here.

Here is the extract from TRAI website.

Quote:
To obtain UPC send SMS from the mobile number you want to port to the number ‘1900’ with text ‘PORT’ followed by space followed by your 10 digit mobile number you want to port.
Full guide is available here.
Old 13th February 2014, 22:03   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am afraid the rule is to send SMS from the mobile number of interest here.

Here is the extract from TRAI website.

Full guide is available here.
Thanks for the information PetrolRider. I stand corrected. The fact that the mobile number is mentioned in the sms made me think that it can be sent from any number.
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 22:53   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Moving one BSNL connection to Vodafone. I had earlier tried to move it to Airtel, but nothing happened. From subsequent bills, I know it was not because of out-standings / dues.

Decided to try Vodafone, based on feedback about coverage from a friend. The reason to move from BSNL is purely for friendlier plans - or, lack of friendly voice plans with BSNL.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 09:17   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

@condor; Look for a 900MHz operator.
Old 15th February 2014, 09:22   #416
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have 4 airtel numbers .3 of them are about 10yrs old. recently i needed a new one so got airtel as 4th number.And it has been a disaster so far on customer service, info provided , and pathetic my plan. Inspite of complaining to appellate no difference. So i am thinking of changing airtel for 4th number . All others are on advance rental probably all others will toe line to change operators .Any idea best plan under 1500 calls plus 500for data . I am in delhi need local mobile, landline, std , roaming incoming , outgoing . Traveling 20days in a month outside delhi.

I am thinking about DOCOMO 1299 fully unlimited plan with 3GB data included. Looks like a cake to me.Any experiences with DOCOMO guys.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 15th February 2014 at 09:39.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 10:01   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
I hope you would have got the porting code by now.
I called up 198 twice (*222 did not have any chap available). First time the chap gave some odd code, which the Voda lady said is incorrect. The second time I got the code, which was followed by the sms half an hour later. All this happened after 5:30pm. Also, got the normal call from RCom a couple of days later, so am now waiting for the port. The Voda lady advised me not to cut the SIM into a uSIM till I get the port sms.

What I also learnt from dkaile is that RCom have blocked data services for (now this is a real one) long term DAPO customers on their servers and need some high level intervention to get fixed. Happened to his wife. Maybe they do not want older DAPO customers to stay!

I hear the other laggards in porting are Tata Docomo!
Old 18th February 2014, 11:13   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

I got an sms from Vodafone late yesterday evening that the port has been approved. Got the SIM cut to uSIM. Never got the sms giving the date and time of the port. This no message had happened with out BSNL > Voda port as well. Now seeing Reliance when switching on the phone, and then it vanishes. Signal is there. In my htc One the gsm settings are still dimmed while CDMA are active. I presume it is in the process of porting. Dialling the number gives - Number not available.

Please advise if I am correct.

Last edited by sgiitk : 18th February 2014 at 11:17.
Old 18th February 2014, 14:05   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Signal is there. In my htc One the gsm settings are still dimmed while CDMA are active. I presume it is in the process of porting. Dialling the number gives - Number not available.
It took then over one hour for the Port. dkaile; gave me sound advice to change settings to Settings > Mobile Data > Network Mode > GSM/UMTS mode. This removed the bars due to Reliance and as soon as gsm was active things started working. Was shouting to switch modes, which I kept refusing. After the switch I did some app updates, and they went like lightning. Thanks dkaile!
Old 19th February 2014, 10:06   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@condor; Look for a 900MHz operator.
@SG sir, saw this a bit too late. As of today morning, I am now on Vodafone. Any specific reason(s) for the 900 MHz ? ( The requirement for this number is voice calls, no GPRS).
condor is online now   Reply With Quote