Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th February 2014, 11:14   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@SG sir, saw this a bit too late. As of today morning, I am now on Vodafone. Any specific reason(s) for the 900 MHz ? ( The requirement for this number is voice calls, no GPRS).
While 1800 may give you a slightly better voice, 900 gives better room penetration. There are places where 1800 may not be able to entry, but 900 will. Simply a matter of longer wavelength.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 11:29   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a quick google for frequencies used - the major GSM providers like Airtel, Voda, and BSNL all use 900/1800. Doesnt seem a difference with Voda as compared to other operators.

Is it that they use 1800 in cities & 900 outside ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 12:07   #423
Senior - BHPian

After living with Vodaphone prepaid for a shade over five years, I ported over to Airtel (prepaid again). My phone has never worked in my office building even though it shows full signal strength. The phone rings, I start conversing and in a few seconds the usual break up and then all goes dead. I have to depend on the office land line and return calls each time. Using the internet on my phone was more a battery killer than anything else due to the unstable network. Besides; Vodaphone appeared to be sitting piggy on Airtels 3G network.

Porting took 5 days and cost Rs. 20. Airtel required the usual ID, Address and photograph as proof.

Received the first call from my wife this morning and I could talk from my work spot without a hint of signal break up. Lets see if the rest goes well.

I have to say that Vodapone served me well otherwise and for as long as I was not at my work spot. 8 hours of a non working phone was getting really annoying. Don't know how I put up with it for so long.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th February 2014 at 12:11.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 12:18   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sandeep, I think you would have checked with other Vodafone users in your office if they were facing a similar problem ? Any feedback ?
Old 19th February 2014, 14:14   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did a quick google for frequencies used - the major GSM providers like Airtel, Voda, and BSNL all use 900/1800.
All of them who have been there from the outset are 900. The ones who came in after the Raja sale(s) will be mostly 1800 (sometimes 900). 900MHz is the premium option as the recent auctions and all the hoopla tells us.
Old 19th February 2014, 15:44   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
All of them who have been there from the outset are 900. The ones who came in after the Raja sale(s) will be mostly 1800 (sometimes 900). 900MHz is the premium option as the recent auctions and all the hoopla tells us.
This is not entirely right. Even before Raja, the 1800 band was in use. Originally, BSNL and two operators per circle were given license and bandwidth per circle. The operators were given bandwidth in 900 mhz band. Sometime around 1999 the policy was changed to allow 4th operator. The 4th operator was given bandwidth in 1800mhz band. Raja gave out licenses to the additional spectrum that was vacated by defense forces in 2008. Yes, these were in 1800 mhz band.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 10:15   #427
BHPian

Did Airtel Change the Billing Cycles for OLD Numbers ?

Hi

I am on prepaid for the last 10 years. Have been using the same for all my professional transactions.

Recently, have noticed that the billing has changed from "per sec" billing to "per minute" billing. Even if I speak for 10 secs, I am being billed for 1 minute.

Did anyone notice the same changes ? Call center was not able to get the right information even when called.

Does it make sense to port my number now in BLR ?

Wanted to know your thougts
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 11:59   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any feedback ?
I took a poll of Vodaphone users at work. Not many responded. Out of six responses, five said they experienced the same difficulty as I did and have ported out of Vodaphone.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th February 2014 at 12:06.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 12:10   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Sandeep. At the moment I take it that there is a problem in reception at your office location. You had reason to move out.

To be fair, such problems can happen with any operator. My reason to move out of BSNL was the not-so-friendly plans that BSNL had. I thought of Airtel first. Three of the helpdesks at office didnt help. So checked Vodafone, who had better plans too.
Old 20th February 2014, 15:04   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

@shipnil; Thanks for the detailed update. In UP (E) Usha one of the original lot went belly up around 2001!
Old 27th March 2014, 13:05   #431
BHPian

This is slightly OT so mods can remove it if needed, or shift to the correct thread.

I have a TATA DoCoMo SIM card from Maharashtra Circle, while I live in Mumbai. The reason for getting a Maharashtra Circle card was because I was getting a special number, and roaming charges were zero at that time (2009). Now, I want to use 3G, but Tata Docomo doesn't have the 3G license for Mumbai, only Vodafone and Airtel have it. Using Mobile Number Portability is not feasible since inter-circle MNP is not available. I'm not keen on changing my number since its a pretty special number and notifying people about your changed number is a pain.

Just wondering, is there any device, wherein I can plug in my SIM1, and all the calls & texts received on it will be forwarded to SIM2, while all outgoing calls & texts from SIM2 will be routed through SIM1, so the person on the receiving end gets to see my SIM1 number and not SIM2 ? That way I can get SIM2 from Vodafone/Airtel, be able to use 3G without losing my Tata Docomo number.

I did think of getting a dual-sim adapter, but again SIM1 will be unavailable when I'll be using SIM2 for data.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 14:09   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
I have a TATA DoCoMo SIM card from Maharashtra Circle, while I live in Mumbai. The reason for getting a Maharashtra Circle card was because I was getting a special number, and roaming charges were zero at that time (2009). Now, I want to use 3G, but Tata Docomo doesn't have the 3G license for Mumbai, only Vodafone and Airtel have it. Using Mobile Number Portability is not feasible since inter-circle MNP is not available...
Just wondering, why don't you port into Vodafone or Airtel MH circle? Vodafone or Airtel would also be offering zero roaming charges for Mumbai circle. And while you are in Mumbai, you can use 3G with some suitable data pack too.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 09:35   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Now the matter of National Portability is again under discussion. For real or just an election gimmick, tough to tell.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:12   #434
Senior - BHPian

We are trying to port eight connections from Idea to BSNL. All of them except one is ported and an error "Code mismatch" received three time for the last number

We complained to customer care and nodal officer but no reply. What is the process if we need to complain to TRAI or others?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:38   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
We are trying to port eight connections from Idea to BSNL. All of them except one is ported and an error "Code mismatch" received three time for the last number

We complained to customer care and nodal officer but no reply. What is the process if we need to complain to TRAI or others?
Try pgportal.gov.in.
I faced a problem with DND while porting from Vodafone to BSNL, customer care was of no help and pgportal saved the day (in a matter of a week).
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote