Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd April 2015, 16:30   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

After more than 14yrs with Airtel and fighting with them for last 4-5months regarding GSM/ data network coverage, finally decided to move out to Vodafone.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:57   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
After more than 14yrs with Airtel and fighting with them for last 4-5months regarding GSM/ data network coverage, finally decided to move out to Vodafone.
Same here. Aftet 9 years with Airtel, I moved to Vodafone. Absolutely no regrets. Vodafone 3G is excellent and there is zero call dropping problem.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:18   #453
BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Was with BSNL until early 2015 for about a year (was on Vodafone before that).
Now back with Vodafone but their 3G is still borrowed from Airtel's and needless to say that it's not that great and is expensive compared to BSNL.

Porting into Vodafone (through its outlet at Indiranagar) was painful. They hadn't entered the application into the system until a week after it was filled in. And the first SIM they had provided was faulty. Found BSNL staff at Koramangala to be much friendlier.

How is Aircel and DOCOMO in Bangalore? Requirements:
- unclogged 3G network in Bangalore (mostly East and South)
- decent connectivity in remote areas when travelling (mostly KA or TN)
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 21:33   #454
BHPian

Question re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Was with BSNL until early 2015 for about a year (was on Vodafone before that).
Any reason for moving out of BSNL?

I am thinking of moving into BSNL from Airtel. Airtel data plans are exorbitant.

Howz the BSNL voice and data service, in and around B'lore?
Please advise.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 23:54   #455
BHPian

Any idea when cross-circle MNP will be implemented ? Some new articles say it has already started on 3rd May but maybe carriers will take some time more to fully roll out the service.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 09:17   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems that the need to prefix 0 for outside numbers is now gone. So this is the first step.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 09:18   #457
BANNED

I was using Vodafone for 2 years. Just ported to Airtel. Initial impressions seem better and call quality is better.
kisharchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 10:36   #458
BHPian

Smile re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any reason for moving out of BSNL?

I am thinking of moving into BSNL from Airtel. Airtel data plans are exorbitant.

Howz the BSNL voice and data service, in and around B'lore?
Please advise.
Have moved out of Airtel in Bangalore after 11 Years, I dont see any difference in Quality, The Airtel rates were high and call drops were bad, BSNL is OK for voice, no de gradation of service after I moved from Airtel. As far as 3G data of BSNL, it depends where you stay in Bangalore, I have had bad experience with Airtel , BSNL 3G data is slow in Kundalahalli, same is case with Tata Docomo wimax. BSNL voice is better than Data , but the lower data 3G rates are plus points and both these perform faster when I move to smaller towns.
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 12:34   #459
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed a strange thing?
When I make Idea to Idea call within Maharashtra - the sound quality is like Skype. Sounds like VoIP - which means better quality, higher frequency bandwidth.

All other calls, Idea to others, any other TSP to other number - sound like plain old telephone with reduced frequency bandwidth.

Perhaps Idea is indeed using packet switching for calls (within its network), and therefore such high frequency of call drops and mid conversation hangs.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 15:16   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Has anyone noticed a strange thing?
When I make Idea to Idea call within Maharashtra - the sound quality is like Skype. Sounds like VoIP - which means better quality, higher frequency bandwidth.

All other calls, Idea to others, any other TSP to other number - sound like plain old telephone with reduced frequency bandwidth.

Perhaps Idea is indeed using packet switching for calls (within its network), and therefore such high frequency of call drops and mid conversation hangs.
I have 2 SIMs - Tata DoCoMo (MH Circle) and Vodafone (Mumbai Circle). I stay in Mumbai and all local calls made from Tata DoCoMo (even to other users on the same network) have a pathetic quality.

But calls made from the Vodafone SIM to another Vodafone number in the same circle had a very crisp, VoIP-like quality !

Any particular reason for this ?
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 12:42   #461
BHPian

Guys, anyone using Reliance GSM in Bangalore region? How decent is the voice network?

They have a 249plan with 1000 minutes free which can come handy for me, but worried about the network connectivity/call quality. Any first hand users of Reliance GSM in BLR? Pl. share your feedback.

Thanks
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:16   #462
BHPian

I have been a pro when it comes to MNP. I live in a prime suburban area of Chennai in Porur very close to DLF IT Park.
However,most operators 3g don't work in mg home especially when indoors in the ground floor. My home seems to be in a signal black hole.

1.Started with Aircel. Good connectivity in Tamil Nadu but poor 3G in my house. Poor connectivity when travelling to AP/ KA. Hence ditched after one year.

2. Moved to Vodafone. Good connectivity in most places both voice/data but poor 3G in my home and call drops as well. Ported out after two years.

3. Moved to Airtel. Same as above overall but slightly better 3g at my home meaning 1/2 signal bars. Ported out after one year due to my travel to Ladakh requiring a postpaid connection. I would never trust the looters airtel for a postpaid connection because of their regular fraudulent billing.

4.Surprised with BSNL to say the least. Had signal at even the remotest corners of Ladakh and had better 3g in terms of network coverage than idea/vodafone. The theoritical speeds max out at H (3.6 Mbps) vdls H+ (21 Mbps)of other operators. The average speed 100-200 KB/sec download speed is more than enough for me combined with the cheap prices for data and widespread network when travelling makes it best suited to me. Yes 3g coverage is quite mediocre indoors in house 1/2 signal bars but has full signal outdoors in the garden and balcony.

The latest development os that Airtel has put up a tower on the roof of my neighbor's house . Ours is a medium sized lane with independent houses . The tower is hardly 40-50 feet away from my house. While Airtel signal has improved , I am worried about radiation hazards .
Ragavsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:16   #463
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to switch back to Airtel just for 4G. I am not sure how the performance is in Pune, but since I bought S6 Edge, I want to try 4G ASAP.

Let me know if anyone else is already using Airtel 4G on their mobiles.

I already have Airtel 4G data subscription and that's amazingly fast (30 Mbps speeds regularly). So hoping it to be better.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:20   #464
Senior - BHPian

I am relocating to Hyderabad this weekend from Bhubaneswar. I plan to portate my existing BSNL number to the available local network. My requirements are:

Usage:
- Long duration STD calls apart from local calls
- Moderate (<1 GB) internet use

Expectation:
- Good call quality with no drops
- Good network coverage
- Decent internet speed
- Low call costs for the above needs

Can anyone suggest the best bet available in Hyderabad? I can enquire about the tariffs once I reach there but I want to be sure about the service quality and the network coverage beforehand.
ashis89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:40   #465
BHPian

Guys, national MNP is very much active. For friends who are shifting cities, but still paying that roaming charge, just to keep the number:now is the time to Port
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote