Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th September 2016, 23:22   #496
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But don't you need to make calls too in your daily usage? And each call is charged.
Depends how much you call.

Quote:
So technically that compensates for the other parameter. Also 1GB data will be sufficient for most users.
They don't have any 1 GB plan. It's 300 mb in the 149 Plan and 4 GB in the 499 plan.

Quote:
I am more concerned about the network. If the calls will keep dropping or voice clarity is not good then there is no point.
The free calls which you get consume data. So technically they are not free.

Quote:
Like someone else mentioned above, I would too rather wait for Airtel to come out with more offers to retain its customers.
Depends where you live. Some places Airtel service is bad.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 12:40   #497
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Whats the news on SIM availability ? Are we seeing iphone-like queues outside the Jio stores ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 13:00   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

With the launch of Jio, can we expect fresh schemes for AirTel post-paid subscribers who are with them for long? Or at-least better service? Less call drops/congestion and seamless 4G connectivity.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 13:27   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Whats the news on SIM availability ? Are we seeing iphone-like queues outside the Jio stores ?
Most have 2nd SIM slot empty. Who doesn't want free stuff? (although till 31 Dec)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
With the launch of Jio, can we expect fresh schemes for AirTel post-paid subscribers who are with them for long? Or at-least better service? Less call drops/congestion and seamless 4G connectivity.
If Airtel, Vodafone & other announce free voice calls, actually they would be more attractive than Jio.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 13:32   #500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If Airtel, Vodafone & other announce free voice calls, actually they would be more attractive than Jio.
I'll be happier if they charge 20% more but ensure better voice connectivity.
Old 5th September 2016, 14:21   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll be happier if they give me 4G in my home --- which they did when it was a new product, but things have gone downhill.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 14:34   #502
Team-BHP Support

I really do not care about data that much. I want the voice calls to go through first. Telecom's Maslow hierarchy.
Old 5th September 2016, 18:03   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be happier if they charge 20% more but ensure better voice connectivity.
AirTel is good in both, but in very remote areas [where you actually require both] it sometimes does give up.

Quote:
I really do not care about data that much. I want the voice calls to go through first.
At home, BSNL BB is a savior. But yes, require data when I am away and my office is mostly mobile, so data is a requirement.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 19:32   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
AirTel is good in both, but in very remote areas [where you actually require both] it sometimes does give up.

At home, BSNL BB is a savior. But yes, require data when I am away and my office is mostly mobile, so data is a requirement.
Maybe in your neck of the woods.

At my place in Dwarka, New Delhi Airtel (voice) has deteriorated to unbelievable levels. Even Vodafone is equally bad.

Broadband, on the other hand, works flawlessly even though (or maybe because) it is horribly expensive !
Old 5th September 2016, 21:13   #505
Senior - BHPian

I hear that voice calls on Jio are sent as data. Does this incur data bandwidth being used? If this is the case 1GB of data will be consumed in a matter of few calls.
Quote:
Maybe in your neck of the woods.

At my place in Dwarka, New Delhi Airtel (voice) has deteriorated to unbelievable levels. Even Vodafone is equally bad.
Now a days you cannot take a call on your cell when you are mobile. Call drops are guaranteed on cell boundaries due to heavy congestion and poor network.

Last edited by poloman : 5th September 2016 at 21:16.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 01:16   #506
BHPian

Jio does use data for voice calls but that data isnt deducted from the data limit. So no one needs to worry about that. With more and more users, speeds of Jio too have gone down considerably but that maybe because they still arent in full speed mode and are throttling data.
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 17:55   #507
BHPian

Guys I have slight confusion here. Today I went to Vodafone store two got two of my numbers ported to Vodafone. Currently they are on Idea network. One sim is micro sim and the other will be Nano sim. Now the confusion is that they gave me two sims for my two numbers but they did not tell me which sim is for which number. What should I do? Hope you have understood what I'm trying to say.

Regards
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:32   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I have slight confusion here. Today I went to Vodafone store two got two of my numbers ported to Vodafone. Currently they are on Idea network. One sim is micro sim and the other will be Nano sim. Now the confusion is that they gave me two sims for my two numbers but they did not tell me which sim is for which number. What should I do? Hope you have understood what I'm trying to say.

Regards
SIM swaps work from the user end these days. The package will have instructions how to activate a new SIM.

Taking Airtel's example, it involves sending an SMS to a certain number from the current (old) SIM, the SMS has to include the new SIM number (printed on SIM and the package) and a certain command text (may vary by operator). This is very similar to how we use SMS-based value added services.

Most operators would have similar procedures. Refer to the pack or call customer care.

Takes a couple hours after sending the message, and the old SIM is automatically deactivated.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:37   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
SIM swaps work from the user end these days. The package will have instructions how to activate a new SIM.

Taking Airtel's example, it involves sending an SMS to a certain number from the current (old) SIM, the SMS has to include the new SIM number (printed on SIM and the package) and a certain command text (may vary by operator). This is very similar to how we use SMS-based value added services.

Most operators would have similar procedures. Refer to the pack or call customer care.

Takes a couple hours after sending the message, and the old SIM is automatically deactivated.
They told me that once the new sim is activated I will have to call a number and confirm name, address and phone number.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:52   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
They told me that once the new sim is activated I will have to call a number and confirm name, address and phone number.
That may be an additional authentication step to ensure someone else hasn't taken a SIM on your behalf. In Airtel's case, they called me back once my new SIM was activated and verified some user details. Not fool-proof but something's better than nothing I guess.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd October 2016 at 18:53.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote