Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th December 2016, 17:27   #511
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If Airtel, Vodafone & other announce free voice calls, actually they would be more attractive than Jio.
Airtel sets the cat among the pigeons - Airtel Offers Unlimited Voice Calls to Anywhere in India
Quote:
The new Rs. 345 pack by Airtel allows prepaid customers to make free voice calls, both local and STD, to any network in India. Along with this, buyers of the Rs. 345 Airtel prepaid pack will get 1GB of 4G data.

Last edited by msdivy : 8th December 2016 at 17:28.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 18:20   #512
BHPian

What about us poor postpaid chaps? Should we just migrate to prepaid? Currently I have a CUG plan with work that give me a couple of 100 mins free mobile to mobile and 1Gb 4g data and my plan usually costs me on average 450 a month all inclusive. This prepaid looks attractive now as I get the same benefits and more calls at a lower price. CUG doesn't matter anymore with all calls being free.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 19:20   #513
Senior - BHPian

The news says 345, but this is the SMS I received from Airtel:

Effective 07-DEC, benefit on 349 recharge for Airtel mobile has been revised. You get: Unlimited All Calls(Including Landline)+ 50 MB 3G/4G data+ 974 MB 4G Validity: 28 Days
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 20:56   #514
BHPian

Quote:
The news says 345, but this is the SMS I received from Airtel:

Effective 07-DEC, benefit on 349 recharge for Airtel mobile has been revised. You get: Unlimited All Calls(Including Landline)+ 50 MB 3G/4G data+ 974 MB 4G Validity: 28 Days
The price 345 is for Delhi circle. Your location says Bangalore. The price of packs would slightly vary circle-wise. That is the reason it says 349 for you.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 21:08   #515
BHPian

One of my old unused(for 4 months) Airtel number has offer of 299 recharge which includes unlimited voice calls (local and std) and 6GB 4G data
smnrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 00:00   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Airtel sets the cat among the pigeons - Airtel Offers Unlimited Voice Calls to Anywhere in India
These companies should be banned from using the word "free." Nothing is free from them. What they really mean is included in the cost is...

Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 18:35   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
What about us poor postpaid chaps? Should we just migrate to prepaid? Currently I have a CUG plan with work that give me a couple of 100 mins free mobile to mobile and 1Gb 4g data and my plan usually costs me on average 450 a month all inclusive. This prepaid looks attractive now as I get the same benefits and more calls at a lower price. CUG doesn't matter anymore with all calls being free.
Same thing with my father's phone. His bill comes to Rs. 1000-1200 every month and I told him to get it converted into prepaid and go for this Rs. 345 offer.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 23:59   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
told him to get it converted into prepaid and go for this Rs. 345 offer.
I finished my 1Gb today within a week of the current cycle and smartbytes purchase of 1Gb more is going to cost me 246rs. Ridiculous pricing I must say for postpaid plans!
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 10:01   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I finished my 1Gb today within a week of the current cycle and smartbytes purchase of 1Gb more is going to cost me 246rs. Ridiculous pricing I must say for postpaid plans!
Call Airtel and ask for applicable "offers" on your phone. I got 3gb for Rs 100. So that's additional to my 2gb (unlimited) plan which gives me 5gb at 4/3g and then unlimited 2g. More than sufficient.

If it falls short, I've got the Jio SIM card also!
avdhesh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 11:00   #520
BHPian

I just switched (Ported) to Jio from Airtel (my 19 years old number) because:

1. Impossible to get through an airtel customer care executive through the maze of menus.
2. Frequent 'No Service' for last two months. I have iPhone 7.
3. 'No Service' during a call.
4. I had accumulated 12GB data from monthly renewals. So last month i renewed data for Rs.50/- only, but airtel forfeited the 12GB data. I could not get through any customer executive. Then i wrote an email. Response : you had to renew every month with same amount or bigger amount to retain previous data quota. I wanted to write back that neither their web-site not the 'reminder' messages mention that i have to renew every month with at least previous month's worth data.

I had my number ported within 5 says without any issues.
After using Jio for few days, i think i've made the right choice.

And i love reading the 16 Automotive magazines (including 31 previous issues of Autocar) and 9 Travel magazines (including 27 back issues of Discover India) on JioMags!

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 14th December 2016 at 11:08.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 12:28   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After using Jio for few days, i think i've made the right choice.
How is the voice connectivity to non-Jio networks ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 17:51   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How is the voice connectivity to non-Jio networks ?
No issues for voice calls to Airtel, Idea and Dolphin. I do have an Airtel landline unlimited connection at home. Wifey has Idea, kids have Dolphin and Idea. All of us were on unlimited call plans (Rs.949 on Airtel, Rs.1600 on Idea and Rs.309 on Vidyarthi on MTNL).

All others are now actively considering porting to Jio - and meanwhile trying to find faults with Jio .

When i bought iPhone 7 in Oct. i got a free Jio sim. That time it used to take dialing at least twice to get through an airtel number and occasionally on Idea. But now, i have not faced that at all. All connections are instantaneous (unlike Airtel where in last month for every call to any network there was a latency after dialing when i used to wonder if i need to disconnect and call again).

None of my callers has complaint of not getting through my number - and in my professions i've fairly large number of incoming calls.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 14th December 2016 at 17:55.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 19:00   #523
Team-BHP Support

This is really encouraging. I am very impressed with the data services of Jio and willing to pay for the same. Will try the calling more often now and see.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 20:54   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Same thing with my father's phone. His bill comes to Rs. 1000-1200 every month and I told him to get it converted into prepaid and go for this Rs. 345 offer.
Just one disclaimer, if he is a heavy user, ask him to stay with the current plan.

You never know as to when AirTel might discontinue this prepaid plan but the offers on postpaid stay, at least this is what I have experienced. Plus, this offer won't work while roaming [i think so]

I was on a Rs. 600 plan with monthly bill of 800/900, now I am on Rs. 1200 plan [taxes of around Rs. 170 extra] and all calls are free plus no roaming. I will be charged for video calls & MMS. In the days of skype & WhatsApp, who uses them...? Though there is a cap on data, limited to 5 GB which I don't usually exhaust. Better to prioritize IMO.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 21:25   #525
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to do with the MNP in particular, but the sole advantage of having the option to dispute something before I handover money to my telecom provider is reason enough for me to stick with postpaid, higher cost notwithstanding.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote