Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th October 2010, 10:06   #76
Team-BHP Support

All your current services will be disconnected. There will be a blackout period (coupla hours), and then you will have to start afresh with your new operator. Choose from its bouquet.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 10:44   #77
BHPian

I am on Airtel Delhi since 2000 and here in Delhi Airtel does not give me any major reasons to complain. The network quality is excellent. Overall, I am a happy airtel customer.

Now I have a second Airtel Delhi number from my office which is used for blackberry. And the mails on this phone takes ages. If that number was my own, then I would have most likely shopped around and found a network which gives me better quality blackberry service. But since this is provided by the office, I do not really care.

-- no1lives4ever
no1lives4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 12:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
All your current services will be disconnected. There will be a blackout period (coupla hours), and then you will have to start afresh with your new operator. Choose from its bouquet.
Not really portable then ! Will include a lot of stress and headaches - will work only for people with no add ons !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 13:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Not really portable then ! Will include a lot of stress and headaches - will work only for people with no add ons !
Err.. Its Mobile Number Portability after all . Add-ons can be subscribed from the new operator just as easily as they were subscribed from one's original operator.

A few hours blackout is nothing to get worried over.

I'm definitely switching to Airtel to get my push mail cheaper. They have a 2GB/Month data plan in the NCR for ~ 100 Rs. with all the requisite mail protocols and other data ports open(besides 80). I'll drop the plan I have with Vodafone and get a new plan from Airtel, saving myself over 3600 Rs. in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
When switching to an another operator, what happens to your added on extras ? Like the BB plans, GPRS etc. How will the service providers handle that ? Not all of them will have same plans no ? Or are they going to standerise these add ons too ?
Pretty much all operators have similar services available at the same or different rates. The differing prices along with network coverage are probably the main reasons anyone would change over to a new operator.

If Airtel would expect me to keep paying Vodafone's data rates, I'd never even think of jumping over. No?
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 15:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Finally its here
Techtree.com India > News > Telecom > Mobile Number Portability from Nov. 1

From 1st November, users in Haryana will be able to put in requests.

By mid november Delhi should be part of it too!
I plan to change from Reliance CDMA to Reliance GSM or Tata Docomo GSM as CDMA phones are very limited in choice
Reliance CDMA to GSM?? Beware dude! Reliance GSM coverage is supposed to be quite bad in many if not most cities. In Poona it is just about the worst network you can be on (personal experience). Simply horrible voice clarity (no exaggeration here) with not so simple plans anymore. Weak signal esp. inside buildings, and zero signal observed at way too many places outside the city and on highways, where other operators have good coverage.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 16:10   #81
Team-BHP Support

Well in that case I can always take Tata DOCOMO. They have similar low priced plans as reliance
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 17:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Makes sense, since there would be some time required for the porting to happen and the network recognizes the new entry. I would be pleasantly happy and surprised if it gets done in couple of hours.

Quote:
When switching to an another operator, what happens to your added on extras ? Like the BB plans, GPRS etc. How will the service providers handle that ? Not all of them will have same plans no ? Or are they going to standerise these add ons too ?
Who mentioned anything about plans being portable? No two service provider needs to give the same plan, which is always based on their business plan!

You move your number to the new service provider into a plan of their offering.

Quote:
it is just number portability, not number + plan portability. That would be too much to expect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
...If Airtel would expect me to keep paying Vodafone's data rates, I'd never even think of jumping over. No?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 17:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never even thought of that aspect. For most people the issues faced with some current operators are so significant that the issue you mentioned probably won't even come to mind! For eg. if I was stuck with something as ghastly as Airtel or Reliance GSM, and I really needed to keep the number, everything else would just not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well in that case I can always take Tata DOCOMO. They have similar low priced plans as reliance
Docomo is far better than Reliance GSM in all ways here. Its my main number right now. Well, the there have been issues but they have been sorted out eventually. It still a new network with occasional issues, but given the tariff, its well worth it as a whole.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:45   #84
BHPian

Looks like this is getting delayed again - Mobile Number Portability Is (Wait For It) Delayed Again > News on Mobile Phones Mobile > Tech2.com India
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 22:19   #85
BHPian

Two reasons to change over:

1. Better Network Coverage
2. Cheaper tariffs, especially if more of your contacts use the same provider, possibility of lower rates (of course, you never know, they may also change their providers ).
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:36   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators ?

In case you have missed it Mobile Number Portability is here. The soft launch has started and should be fully on by 25th November. With this you do not lose your number if you change service providers.

A few known things:

At least at present there is no portability across circles, i.e. you can port only within your own circle.

Most operators have started (or are starting) a 1900 SMS service. You SMS PORT <your_no> and will get back a password valid for 24 hours. Many are charging Rs.10 for this mail.

There are a few queries regarding the whole operation

1. Do you first set up with the new operator and then start the port procedure. Do you get a fresh SIM/RUIM? Obviously a GSM to CDMA or reverse switch will require a new card. How does the process become completed?

2. Presumably you have to pick up a service plan with the new operator?

3. What happens to the deposit? Many of us with old connections had paid significant amounts as deposits. Does it get transferred to the new chap?

It will be very useful to know from some guru's. Also, if some members have been through the process, then any feedback regarding the procedure and their experience will be most illuminating.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:49   #87
Senior - BHPian

Based on my experience with this process in US:

1. You first check with new operator and agree on plan etc. It has no connection whatsoever with existing plan.
2. You apply with new operator.
3. Operator transfers your number once you provide the code. Existing operator would not give you the code unless you clear all outstanding amount.
4. You follow up with exiting operator to retrieve deposits etc

You will get new SIM post transfer.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 9th November 2010 at 15:50.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:51   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In case you have missed it Mobile Number Portability is here. The soft launch has started and should be fully on by 25th November. With this you do not lose your number if you change service providers.
Can you quote the source of your info please?

EDIT:
see this: www.mnpindia.in

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th November 2010 at 15:57. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 16:14   #89
Team-BHP Support

Great, as soon as UP West starts, I can change my service provider to DOCOMO, and get myself a new shiny Android phone. Hopefully, by jan this should be done.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 16:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'will definitely switch' and will do so but only to see how easy or cumbersome the whole process is in other words for the 'heck of it'.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote