Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 148 34.91%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 105 24.76%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 83 19.58%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 88 20.75%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th January 2011, 12:26   #121
Team-BHP Support

Default Its Live!

Today mornings TOI has adverts from operators advertising this feature, and asking others to switch to their network without changing mobile numbers.
I guess by first week of web, I can finally get a nice GSM phone.
Goodbye CDMA world.
I am planning on DOCOMO since it has pan India coverage, and I can enjoy 1p/second all over India.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 13:09   #122
BHPian

Default re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Just a question.
Will this MNP will also be valid for Circle change ? Assume that I am moving out from Bangalore to Delhi. Can I keep the same No.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 13:22   #123
BHPian

Nope.It cant be changed across circles.MNP is only valid within the same circle
hallik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 14:13   #124
BHPian

Default Re: Its Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today mornings TOI has adverts from operators advertising this feature, and asking others to switch to their network without changing mobile numbers.
I guess by first week of web, I can finally get a nice GSM phone.
Goodbye CDMA world.
I am planning on DOCOMO since it has pan India coverage, and I can enjoy 1p/second all over India.
If you are planning on DOCOMO, they have a post paid friends&family plan in which you can register a few (don't remember the exact number, probably 5) numbers as F&F numbers. These numbers may be local or STD, and can be from other service providers also.

Calls to these F&F numbers are charged at 1p/2 seconds (effectively 0.5p/second).

The plan also has other benefits like 300 free minutes per month, IIRC.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 14:20   #125
BHPian

What is mobile number portability:
Allows subscriber to opt for service provider of his choice but retain his mobile number. The number gets ported to the new provider

Does it allow a technology switch?
Subscriber can stay with same technology, GSM/CDMA. Also change to CDMA or vice versa. Both post-paid & prepaid subscribers can use it

How long will it take to port a number?
Seven working days. Fifteen days in J&K , North-east

How expensive?
Will cost Rs19, to be collected by new service provider

Can you retain your number in another city?
No. You can't change circles

How frequently can you switch service providers?
A subscriber must be with a provider for at least three months.

To switch, send the following text PORT mobile number to 1900.

You'll get an eight-digit alphanumeric code and expiry date for it. This is the unique porting code.

Approach service provider you have opted for with unique code. Carry address & ID proof/ photograph/ application form with unique code & mobile number. Complete this process within the expiry date that came with unique code.

Operator will take request to mobile portability clearing house. Clearing house will get your number deactivated from existing provider and activate new one.

You'll then get text from new provider mentioning date & time when phone will go through a no-service period.

This is when switching of service providers will happen. Phone will be out of use for couple of hours — between 12pm and 5am.
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:00   #126
Team-BHP Support

Good man. I need to switch from Airtel to some other operator. I am on a pre-paid plan and don't mind getting a post paid plan on some other network.

Which one is better here in Bangalore/KA??

-- From a coverage in city/ out of cities

-- from rates/plan perspective

-- from customer service perspective
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

I want to switch from Idea Cellular Prepaid to any other Postpaid with 3G (doesnt matter if 3G is not available right now, but is in pipeline for future with the new operator).

Any suggestion NCR folks?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:25   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I want to switch from Idea Cellular Prepaid to any other Postpaid with 3G (doesnt matter if 3G is not available right now, but is in pipeline for future with the new operator).

Any suggestion NCR folks?
just saw a news y'day that MTNL is not charging any switch over fee and is giving a 3G ready Sim for the customers switching over to its network.

though i don't have any experience of MTNL, just thought of sharing it
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:35   #129
Senior - BHPian

I will stick to Airtel as I have been happy with them for the most part.There are three cell phones in my home, all with Airtel. My son (10 years) wants us all to migrate to Vodafone. Are they better than Airtel in any way?
Also, are the operators offering any goodies to retain customers? Or will they do so only if we plant to shift?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 11:16   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Whoever you decide do not go for Vodafone. It is pathetic inside home and I would also switch to some other network from Vodafone. But only after initial chaos at service center come to end.

I heard that Tata DOCOMO is give good coverage in Bangalore. Do not know its coverage on highways, villages though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My son (10 years) wants us all to migrate to Vodafone. Are they better than Airtel in any way?
Certainly not. Airtel coverage is much better than Vodafone. I am using Vodafone for last 5 - 6 years and did not change provider because of different number. For me time has come. I will switch from Vodafone to some other may be Tata DOCOMO.

I have one question: Out of many operators in KA region which operator provides better (Cheap) data rate. Do not mind with GPRS data as 3G is still 1 - 2 months away. Vodafone GPRS connect is killer in terms of charges.

Last edited by anujmishra : 21st January 2011 at 11:21.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 11:23   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Good man. I need to switch from Airtel to some other operator. I am on a pre-paid plan and don't mind getting a post paid plan on some other network.

I have 2 post paid mobile connections - 1 Airtel and 1 Docomo.

I was completely satisfied with the Airtel network and service, though the charges were a bit steep.

So I retained the Airtel connection and took another Docomo connection for making long duration long distance calls.

I have to say that I am impressed with with Docomo. Call rates are very less and service is very professional.

P. S. When switching operators in a pre-paid plan, please note that your balance would not get carried over to the next operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I will stick to Airtel as I have been happy with them for the most part.There are three cell phones in my home, all with Airtel. My son (10 years) wants us all to migrate to Vodafone. Are they better than Airtel in any way?
Also, are the operators offering any goodies to retain customers? Or will they do so only if we plant to shift?
Better to have all phones from the same service provider, they provide friends and family plans with low call rates.

In any case, it would be better to wait and watch for a few weeks. All operators would soon come up with better plans to avoid attrition.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 11:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

i am very excited to switch over to GSM after using a dull handset on CDMA for almost 4 years.

i was very much satisfied with TATA CDMA service. not a single call drop or network congestion ever. very transparent billing and very ethical plans.

i will shift to TATA Docomo now.
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 11:52   #133
BHPian

These are the offers from Docomo Karnataka, I'm posting the mail I've got for everyones benefit.

POST PAY
Dear All,
Much awaited Mobile Number Portability is here finally! Now customers can choose your mobile service provider without changing your number!We are pleased to announce the launch of the mobile number portability with attractive early bird offers along with special aggressive MNP and INP plans.

• These offers will be available for all those customers who port in on or before 31st Mar’11.
• On-Net calls @ 1p/6sec ie effectively 10p/min for first six months.
• Free 100 MB data/month for 3G/2G network for 6 months from the date of port in.
• Free itemized bill for first six billing cycles.
Note :
• On-Net calls means calls made to Tata DOCOMO, Tata Indicom Mobile and Virgin Mobile

• Entry Cost : Nil *
• Porting Time : 7 working Days
• Service Disruption Time : Only 2 Hours during porting

Plan Details

Plan Name Full Value 149
Activation Charges Nil*
Monthly Rental Rs 149
Tariff:
Local 1p/sec
STD 1p/sec
ISD Standard
FAT Local + STD calling worth Rs 149
Available Topping Combinations NA

• All the MNP plans will be available for the subscribers who are acquired under MNP.
• On-Net calls means calls made to Tata DOCOMO ,Tata Indicom Mobile and Virgin Mobile.
• Early Bird offers will be available for all those customers who port in on or before 31st Mar’11.
• These plans can be offered to port out customers as a retention tool as per existing Business rules for retention. Early bird offers are not available for existing customers.
• All existing GPRS, SMS & ISD packs are applicable on these plans.

INP / CDMA Churn Offer
Launching 2 Special plans for INP/ CDMA churn.
Plan Name 199IP_300_LS 299IP_600_LS
Monthly Rental Rs 199 Rs 299
Tariff:
Local 1p/sec 1p/sec
STD 1p/sec 1p/sec
ISD Standard Standard
FAT
Voice 300 Local& STD mins 600 Local& STD mins
Data (2G Data) 250 MB /month for 12 months 250 MB /month for 12 months
Overall Bill Discount (Pre Tax) 15% per month for 24 months 15% per month for 24 months

• Offer available for INP and CDMA (Competition) Churn
• For INP (Indicom CDMA) port-ins, the NAC will be same as pre 2 post NAC.
• Documents Required – Copy of Last month paid bill.

PREPAY
Dear All,
Much awaited Mobile Number Portability is here finally! Now customers can choose your mobile service provider without changing your number!

We are pleased to announce the launch of the mobile number portability with attractive offers exclusively to MNP customers
Core Talk time - Rs.10
No FRC applicable. Rs.10 talk time will be credited in MNP profile on activation, valid for lifetime.

Promotional Tariff exclusively for port in customer;
• Local On-Net Calls @ 1 paisa per 6 seconds for 3 months
Local On-Net includes Tata Docomo, Tata Indicom, Virgin mobile and T24
• Full Talk time and More than Full Talktime recharges applicable for 3 months as per the grid below.
MRP TT
100 100
200 200
300 330
400 450

Base Tariff for Lifetime;
Local - 1 paisa per second
STD - 1 paisa per second
SMS - 1st sms of the day charged, thereafter 99 local/national sms free for the day
After consumption of 99 sms in a day, local 60p/sms, national 1.20/sms & international 5/sms will be charged for rest of the day
ISD - As per the base ISD tariff
Roaming - As per the base roaming tariff

All top ups and special tariff recharges will be applicable.
To enjoy any other tariff benefits, customer needs to do any one of the existing STVs
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 13:24   #134
Team-BHP Support

Great, since I am coming in from CDMA, if I change before 31st march to Tata Docomo, it will really rock!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 13:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting to read that some (not all) people using airtel want to switch to Tata, people using Tata want to switch to Vodafone and people using vodafone want to switch to Airtel and so on. After reading all this I realise that there is no clear cut winner here in the telecom sector.

Obvioulsy all the operators have their plus points and minus points too, and the consumers use that operator whos plus points matter the most for them, hence will change and use them now. So I feel that MNP is a great move by the government. You get the best of both the worlds i.e keep the number and use the operator that suits you the most.

As for me I have chosen to keep my BSNL connection. I know sometimes the signal is very poor, the customer care is pathetic ( not that others are far superior) and the gprs works sometimes and sometime it doesnt but atleast BSNL is the cheapest (for my needs) and gives the widest coverage in India. Hence sticking with it

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote