Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 19th November 2009, 17:47   #1756
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok i got a newbie question. So i started using the BB 9700 yesterday, loving it so far. But today randomly my phone keeps beeping with the "Soar" sound notifaction although there is nothing on screen- no new email/msn/sms/bbm etc. Then i went into the profiles to check which notification is the Soar sound assigned to and it was "Level 1"
What is this "Level 1" message and why doesn't it show anything incoming on screen? The random beeping sounds if very irritating.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 18:54   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
But this is a switch between the same carrier why would it need number portability?
For Reliance the Number series of CDMA & GSM are different. They do not cross allot the number series as of today (i.e CDMA series to GSM phone & viceversa). What you are looking at is called Number Portability (Intra : Within the same operator) which is currently not supported by Reliance
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 22:29   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Ok i got a newbie question. So i started using the BB 9700 yesterday, loving it so far. But today randomly my phone keeps beeping with the "Soar" sound notifaction although there is nothing on screen- no new email/msn/sms/bbm etc. Then i went into the profiles to check which notification is the Soar sound assigned to and it was "Level 1"
What is this "Level 1" message and why doesn't it show anything incoming on screen? The random beeping sounds if very irritating.
I believe PIN messages are Level 1 by default - but they would show in your inbox.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:01   #1759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
For Reliance the Number series of CDMA & GSM are different. ...
Under the Number Portability policy, Reliance has to allow you to carry your number from CDMA to GSM, as also allowing you to switch to other service providers when you want. And the service providers are not supposed to charge any fee either for doing so. Been waiting for the policy to kick in for a long time - it was announced in Feb/Mar '09.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 12:10   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I believe PIN messages are Level 1 by default - but they would show in your inbox.
What are PIN messages? Where can they be viewed?
Old 20th November 2009, 12:22   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Under the Number Portability policy, Reliance has to allow you to carry your number from CDMA to GSM, as also allowing you to switch to other service providers when you want.
Agreed. But Intra Operator (Reliance CDMA to Reliance GSM or vice versa) or Inter Operator ( from one operator to another) will only be available when Mobile Number Portability is launched.

Quote:
And the service providers are not supposed to charge any fee either for doing so.
As far as I know, according to TRAI, service providers can charge a fee for it (I guess 200-300 Rs)

Quote:
Been waiting for the policy to kick in for a long time - it was announced in Feb/Mar '09.
As far as I know, according to TRAI, MNP should be in place by 1st Jan, 2010
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 12:44   #1762
aZa
Senior - BHPian

whats the going rate for 9700 in india ? grey market peices available ?
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 14:43   #1763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Let's hope. This has like everything else getting constantly delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
whats the going rate for 9700 in india ? grey market peices available ?
I read somewhere here that it's going for 35-40k at Heera Panna. These guys are making close to 70% profit !

One more newbie query: Whats the delay time between emails reaching the phone? I see an email come up on my hotmail and Gmail but there is quite a bit of delay(atleast 15mins or more) by the time it gets pushed to my phone. Also if there is another email that has come within the delay time it retrieves both together rather than a FIFO method.
Network signal is full so thats not the issue here.

Last edited by Sahil : 20th November 2009 at 14:49.
Old 20th November 2009, 15:07   #1764
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Sahil there is no time delay with emails infact it almost realtime with gmail and yahoo. with OVI its 2-3mins late.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:54   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the delay time between emails reaching the phone?
Mine is exactly opposite experience. Majority of emails are delivered to my BB atleast few seconds before its shown on the desktop that is on broadband. But when it comes to team-bhp subscribed threads (only 4 or 5), many new replies are delivered to the phone and mail inbox within a 1 hr to 4 hr delay.

Last edited by shajufx : 20th November 2009 at 16:55.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 17:00   #1766
Distinguished - BHPian

So is there any way I can change some settings etc to fix this delay problem? It's very irratic, sometimes it comes without minor delay at other times its several minutes. But never before the my desktop.
Old 20th November 2009, 17:05   #1767
Senior - BHPian

I think it depends on the BB servers more than anything else, if you have a different BB handset at home, thats a method to test if its gadget related. In my last 2 years BB usage, I have always received Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail deliveries instantly (being on broadband almost 10 hours Mon-Fri) which I have always compared from handset to desktop.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 19:59   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
What are PIN messages? Where can they be viewed?
PIN messages are kindda like a PM. You can send a message to another BB using its PIN. Goes thru the blackberry servers and lands in your inbox. You do not need a configured email for this.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 12:22   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. But Intra Operator (Reliance CDMA to Reliance GSM or vice versa) or Inter Operator ( from one operator to another) will only be available when Mobile Number Portability is launched.

As far as I know, according to TRAI, service providers can charge a fee for it (I guess 200-300 Rs)

Today's Hindu newspaper carried an article saying MNP cost to the consumer is to be fixed at Rs.19. Yes. You read it right. Just Rs.19/- You can refer this source
deepakchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:22   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Availability of BOLD 9700 in Delhi?? Grey markets carrying this model?? When can we expect a official launch??
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote