Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 12:08   #2266
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I was leaning towards the 8820 as it is a 3G device (I think). What's your take on that & any idea regarding the costs.
8820 is from old series and I believe is discontinued one.

If 3g is very important to you then from the ongoing series 9700 is the only one with 3g functionality.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 12:23   #2267
aZa
Senior - BHPian
 
aZa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Noida / Delhi
Posts: 1,595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Need to buy another 9700 this week. Is the WHITE 9700 available in delhi!!?
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 13:50   #2268
BHPian
 
mukeshgoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 734
Thanked: 368 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Need to buy another 9700 this week. Is the WHITE 9700 available in delhi!!?
Yes, it is available in Delhi. There was a huge ad in TOI or HT few days ago about it.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 15:15   #2269
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
8820 is from old series and I believe is discontinued one.

If 3g is very important to you then from the ongoing series 9700 is the only one with 3g functionality.
Oh! thanks for the heads up, I was talking to the idea people and they are still offering this model, guess it must be unsold stock. The guy had no idea on the price of the devices, he is supposed to call back on the same and the bb plan tariffs etc.

How about the Sony Xperia (the new one) or the recently launched Motorola device.

Should the 3G not be important? I am not given to changing phones till they are either completely broken or lost etc. so the question with an eye on say the next couple of years.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:01   #2270
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Also wanted to know of there are any other blackberry's in the pipeline in the near future ?
Probably something with a better camera . Know about the the new slider blackberry but I want something with a full qwerty keypad.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:59   #2271
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 612
Thanked: 413 Times
Default

you can expect a few new models to hit the markets in the coming months.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 11:33   #2272
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Oh! thanks for the heads up, I was talking to the idea people and they are still offering this model, guess it must be unsold stock. The guy had no idea on the price of the devices, he is supposed to call back on the same and the bb plan tariffs etc.

How about the Sony Xperia (the new one) or the recently launched Motorola device.

Should the 3G not be important? I am not given to changing phones till they are either completely broken or lost etc. so the question with an eye on say the next couple of years.
Well, to avoid such confusions just go through manufacturer's website to have a clearer idea about ongoing series.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Pearl, BlackBerry Bold, 8700, 7700, 7520, 7200, 7130, 7100 Seris

If you are such a person who keep the phone untill it is drowned or lost thenI would suggest you to stick with Samsung or Nokia, reason being much longer support availble, widely availability of apps, can be kept for long time yet with a oomph factor. For eg: E71 is still considered to be one of the best QWERTY phone, though successors are there but still firmware upgrades and available apps are keep it alive even after around 2 year of launch too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Also wanted to know of there are any other blackberry's in the pipeline in the near future ?
Probably something with a better camera . Know about the the new slider blackberry but I want something with a full qwerty keypad.
Camera is treated as an accessory in BB phone. Reason ?? BB phone being a business phone. One can easily get up 8-10 MP Camera is Entertainment-Music phones, but such high resolution camera in BB are still far away.

At max you can get the standard 3.15 MP Camera only, even in upcoming Pearl 91xx series.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 14:04   #2273
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

ANd can you please give me photos or models of the new blackberry which is ready to be launched soon ?
Is something better than the BB9700 BOLD ?
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 21:17   #2274
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

I got a BB Curver 8520 today. Im a complete noob to the BB world. Can gurus please help me with the following questions:

1. How do I get old emails into the device? As of now, I've configured my work email, Gmail and Yahoo (all thru BIS). However, it has mails from the time I configured them today. I would ideally like mails from the last 30 days.

2. I have a .csv file of contacts from my Nokia E71 on my laptop. How do I import this into my BB?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 23:33   #2275
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
2. I have a .csv file of contacts from my Nokia E71 on my laptop. How do I import this into my BB?
Import them into Microsoft Outlook's contacts (google is your friend with that step). Then sync that with your BB using the BB desktop manager application.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:18   #2276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 0 Times
Default VOIP client for BB phones

Guys,

I am using a BB 8320 for a while now without the BIS. I have tweaked it to work with the normal data plan and everything is working fine. Not all the default applications like BB Messenger, Gtalk will work without the BIS - For messaging needs I have installed BeeJive and it does a good job.

Now I want to install a VOIP client in my BB so that I can make cheap call over the internet when i am in WiFi zones. Any ideas on this friends?
krsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 10:16   #2277
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
ANd can you please give me photos or models of the new blackberry which is ready to be launched soon ?
Is something better than the BB9700 BOLD ?
No Pictures available as such since it is still under cover.

Better then 9700 ?? If you are not a bar phone fan then it would be a good news to you as BB9800 is rumored to be a slider one. Specs still unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsh77 View Post
Guys,

I am using a BB 8320 for a while now without the BIS. I have tweaked it to work with the normal data plan and everything is working fine. Not all the default applications like BB Messenger, Gtalk will work without the BIS - For messaging needs I have installed BeeJive and it does a good job.

Now I want to install a VOIP client in my BB so that I can make cheap call over the internet when i am in WiFi zones. Any ideas on this friends?
No such successful VOIP client is available as of now, though skype is in news for developing one.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:05   #2278
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,448
Thanked: 1,102 Times
Default

can we simply browse in black berry with out enabling black berry service ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:11   #2279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

No such successful VOIP client is available as of now, though skype is in news for developing one.[/quote]


Yeah, I may need to go for E72 for the VOIP solution.

Skype is in news about some lite version which can handle chats but not call features.
krsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:13   #2280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
can we simply browse in black berry with out enabling black berry service ?

Yeah you can. You need to tweak the Service Books so that the browser uses socket connection instead of the BIS.

Enable BlackBerry Browser without BIS/BES bb.anworm.com

The above mentioned link will help you to configure BB to browse without BIS.
krsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks