Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th January 2009, 16:15   #241
Senior - BHPian

I wish I had received such an email from airtel in my last 4 months fight with them for the same ! I wait and hope for the days when we can use a single high speed broadband connection for our home, mobile and laptop, with a single billing, single tech support and a pay as per use method.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 18:04   #242
Senior - BHPian

Opera works with BIS and I have always used it that way.

There is no logic of activating 899 for unlimited BIS and then paying more for GPRS services. Most of the apps work with BIS. What are the exact issues you are facing? Maybe I can help you?
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 18:29   #243
BHPian

I hope they dont charge you for this...because they charged me and i had to get it removed from the Bill..Are you still using the airtelgprs.com as APN and username as 91# ?
spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 22:20   #244
Senior - BHPian

Just got the storm, am yet to fire it up. Will post a detailed usage report soon. Have a iPhone 3G sitting right next to it so it will be quite interesting looking at how they fit the life in a desi scenario.
Old 12th January 2009, 00:38   #245
BHPian

@quickdraw : Let me know man about the Storm...have heard mixed reviews abbout it..currently deciding upon Xperia vs Storm.
spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 10:49   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
@quickdraw : Let me know man about the Storm...have heard mixed reviews abbout it..currently deciding upon Xperia vs Storm.
I am trying to get a xperia into the equation as well, had a chance to play with one and it deserves to be in this group test!
Old 12th January 2009, 12:50   #247
Senior - BHPian

Airtel is getting to my nerves even at the time of disconnecting all its services ! BB unlock code was requested on 2nd Jan, today being 12th is the last expected day to get it delivered. BB deactivation request was placed on 8th Jan. Retention team had called me about the cancellation, but I specifically said I dont want the service anymore and get it cancelled as fast as possible. But the support guy reported exactly opposite to what I told him, mentioning that the customer needs only unlock code but like to continue with the BB service etc. How can Airtel be so pathetic ??

My decision to move to Vodafone was right on time, no doubt. My airtel SIM issues of cross connection, call failure, SIM inactive etc. are all the same even upto this moment. None of the issues are resolved and I dont think they will be able to do that by any chance. Right now what I think is not paying my December bill and January bill (yet to be generated) as a response to their irresponsibility. I just want to get my unlock code and I will remove the sim and be silent. Suggestions welcome. Am I too rude ? Should I behave nice and ignore everything ?
Old 12th January 2009, 16:51   #248
BHPian

Default BB storm price

@quickdraw
can u pls tell the price of BB storm?
maverick555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 19:51   #249
Senior - BHPian

Vodafone has launched the Blackberry Storm officially in India for Rs.27990/- yesterday The Hindu News Update Service

I am just checking the price of 'storm' at various places. If anyone could tell me the availability of 'Unlocked' handset, please post it here (I need occasional travelling to Dubai where I will be using UAE SIM, so unlocked handset is important). I plan to stick to Vodafone for another 5 years if things go fine. I am not finding enough info about the locked and unlocked price difference too. Members who have some idea, please update.

My Airtel Saga update
Promised date for delivery of the unlock code was 12th Jan, yesterday. Nothing happend till 13th 7pm. Each time I call up the 7070 guys, I am informed 'they are escalating the request' and its over a dozen times already in the last 48 hours. I am at the peak of my patience level, just praying nobody else would have to go through this by any chance.

Last edited by shajufx : 13th January 2009 at 19:55.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:43   #250
Senior - BHPian

The Vodafone store right here has no idea about the storm I asked, neither could I find any info on their site. Well in anycase I already have one and sold the others. Its a neat little thing. Would not reccomend for heavy usage though.
Old 15th January 2009, 16:08   #251
Senior - BHPian

Atlast the 'airtel-saga' comes to an end ! I got my unlock code today after waiting for 14 days. Airtel support guys blamed it on the RIM canada for the delay telling they had to escalate the request many times for getting the code atlast. Whatever the story is, I got my BB Pearl 8120 unlocked for free and the new Vodafone SIM is already working in the same. The instructions given by airtel for unlocking were all wrong. None of the options worked, at last I had to google the topic to get the step by step guideline on entering the code. At the same time I logged into my airtel online account and 'surrendered the connection' for deactivation. No more head banging !

I will check the Vodafone BB service details and update further within few days. My transition from airtel to vodafone was smooth as I got enough time to update my new number in all the registered places. I am also considering Windows Mobile (never used one before). My cousine got an HTC touch Pro day before and I found it very attractive, except the bulky and heavier body. Its tough to take a decision over Blackberry after being used to it for sometime.

Last edited by shajufx : 15th January 2009 at 16:10.
Old 15th January 2009, 17:49   #252
Team-BHP Support

HTC Touch Pro is a good handset, Steer can give a detailed feedback since he was using it. Win Mob my one and only disappointment was the memory leak issue, where by the device memory gets eaten up and a reset required once in 2 weeks or so! Irrespective of handset, this is a OS issue i guess, typical of MS.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 20:01   #253
BHPian

RIM has introduced the new BlackBerry Curve 8900 smartphone together with Airtel, Reliance Communications and Vodafone.

The 8900 features a stylish black finish with chrome highlights and combines a compact design with a range of easy-to-use features and QWERTY keyboard. At approximately 110 grams and 109 x 60 x 13.5 millimeters, the BlackBerry Curve 8900 also features built-in GPS and supports location-based applications and services. It also allows easy access to social networking sites and has built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g).

"The BlackBerry Curve, with its power and simplicity, is an attractive smartphone solution for our customers. This further reiterates Airtel's commitment to be at the forefront of brining innovative solutions that enrich the communication experience of its users." said Sanjay Gupta, Chief Marketing Officer, Mobile Services, Airtel

The 8900 includes a large, vivid display with the highest resolution available on a BlackBerry smartphone as well as a 512MHz next generation processor for fast and responsive performance. The handset's advanced multimedia capabilities include a 3.2-megapixel camera with image stabilization, digital zoom, flash and video recording, a media player, 3.5mm stereo headset jack and headset. It also features a hot-swappable microSD/SDHC memory card slot with a 1GB card included, and supports cards of up to 16GB.

The BlackBerry Curve 8900 will cost Rs. 27,990.

Source: Tech2
Tech2.com India > RIM Launches BlackBerry Curve 8900 in India > News on Mobile Phones Mobile
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 20:45   #254
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has used the wi-fi feature on the BB handsets ? I am curious to know how it can be paired with a wi-fi modem at home or work and used as a stand alone browsing/messenger device without having the BB service activated. Hope my doubt is clearly typed here. Simplifying my doubt; I have a BB device with built-in wi-fi (Pearl 8120), I have a wi-fi modem at home, I dont have a BB plan active, now how easy it is to configure the handset to the modem with all the safety/security restrictions a BB handset has by default. I know its a silly question for a techie, but I am not a techie !
Old 15th January 2009, 21:18   #255
BHPian

@shajufx

In the manage connections setting on ur BB, select Wi-fi options, and select new, when prompted for the wep key (which u may have used when u connected ur laptop), enter it and ur phone is wi-fi ready.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote