Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 15:43   #3136
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,102
Thanked: 3,681 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Problem transferring contacts

Due to some problems I needed to transfer my phone book from Blackberry to Nokia. Found that it is virtually NO GO. Earlier when I have moved from Nokia to BB I could easily do the transfer through Outlook. The reverse does not seem to be possible.

the .ipd file can be read (use ABC Amber Blackberry) but not converted. Using Magicberry I was able to convert to a CSV file, but the Nokia will not read it (data structure is too complex and not compatible). I ended up using the file from my wife's 5230 and then editing it manually.

So unless I am missing something shifting to a BB may be a ONE WAY STREET. My son was able to transfer his information using gmail from one Android to Another (htc Hero to Samsung Epic 4) in a jiffy. Is this another plus for Android!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:02   #3137
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Have you tried Funambol. I found it to be the easiest way to manage and keep contacts in sync. I use it on iPhone and BlackBerry. Should work on Nokias too.

Here's just one of the multitude of links you would find on the subject: Keep your contacts in sync on different mobile phones using Funambol
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 18:20   #3138
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

@sgiitk under BBDM (desktop manager) options set it for a one way sync with outlook and phone. This way info goes from phone to outlook. The use nokia's desktop service to sync back to the nokia phone. Should help.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 22:45   #3139
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Problem transferring contacts

Due to some problems I needed to transfer my phone book from Blackberry to Nokia. Found that it is virtually NO GO. Earlier when I have moved from Nokia to BB I could easily do the transfer through Outlook. The reverse does not seem to be possible.

the .ipd file can be read (use ABC Amber Blackberry) but not converted. Using Magicberry I was able to convert to a CSV file, but the Nokia will not read it (data structure is too complex and not compatible). I ended up using the file from my wife's 5230 and then editing it manually.

So unless I am missing something shifting to a BB may be a ONE WAY STREET. My son was able to transfer his information using gmail from one Android to Another (htc Hero to Samsung Epic 4) in a jiffy. Is this another plus for Android!
Download and install GoogleSync.

Go to Gmail > Contacts > My Contacts. Move all the contacts in this folder to a new folder. The reason for this is when you use Google Sync it will sync contacts with My Contacts folder. So to make sure your My Contact folder only have Mobile contacts move all the other contacts in My Contacts folder to a new one.

Turn on WiFi run GoogleSync on BB. Select what information you want to sync with Google.

Happy Sync'ng!

P.S. I have been using this method on almost all the phones i have ever had for so long. No need to make backups on PC, converting VCF to ipd or VCF to CSV etc.

Last edited by abhibh : 9th February 2011 at 22:48.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:45   #3140
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,102
Thanked: 3,681 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Thanks folks. Will try it out. The main problem is that the BB entries are far more numerous than in Nokia so Nokia reports the correct number of entries, and then bombs out. Will try out all the tricks!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 17:41   #3141
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

I am facing a strange problem with my BB Curve 8520. Since yesterday i am not able to compose and send new emails from the handset. When i type the name it wouldn't pick up the email from list. Even if i type the email address, the send option doesn't come up :(

I can reply to mails though, but the same problem that i cannot add any new email ids to the reply mail. Quite strange. Tried BPL restart, but still the issue persists.

BB gurus - Please help.....
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 22:00   #3142
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Guys planing to buy BlackBerry Pearl 9100 with half QWERTY key pad. I've a Nokia E63 thus, doesn't want another full QWERTY phone. Getting 9100 @ INR 14490 minus INR 500 cash discount of buying thru' a Master Card. Can any user tell me the performance of this phone. I'm planing to buy tomorrow.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 22:20   #3143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 136
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Download and install GoogleSync.

Go to Gmail > Contacts > My Contacts. Move all the contacts in this folder to a new folder. The reason for this is when you use Google Sync it will sync contacts with My Contacts folder. So to make sure your My Contact folder only have Mobile contacts move all the other contacts in My Contacts folder to a new one.

Turn on WiFi run GoogleSync on BB. Select what information you want to sync with Google.

Happy Sync'ng!

P.S. I have been using this method on almost all the phones i have ever had for so long. No need to make backups on PC, converting VCF to ipd or VCF to CSV etc.
BB os6 does this for me automatically, though i was using google sync in my previous bb.

I am facing a funny problem on bold three. To connect to my home wifi i hv to change ip address everytime. This is not required on my laptop or ipod touch or my wife's bb. Any possible reasons?
shivmarwaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 05:29   #3144
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

I updated my Mac to 10.6.6. and Lost BB desktop manager

The download for BB desktopmanager is the same version that I had earlier... so does that mean that update does not support DtopManager?? thats sad.
please help.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 10:42   #3145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Guys planing to buy BlackBerry Pearl 9100 with half QWERTY key pad. I've a Nokia E63 thus, doesn't want another full QWERTY phone. Getting 9100 @ INR 14490 minus INR 500 cash discount of buying thru' a Master Card. Can any user tell me the performance of this phone. I'm planing to buy tomorrow.
Can somebody please throw some light here?
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 13:09   #3146
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

The strangest (as well as spookiest) thing has just happened.

I woke up today morning to see an email in my Yahoo inbox. This email is dated Nov 11, 2003 and comes from my own email ID! Although the email was indeed sent by me (from my work ID to my personal ID), but it is pertinent to mention here that the sender ID was deactivated in May 2004 (when I left the company).

And btw, the email is only in my BB Yahoo inbox, and not there on my web Yahoo inbox! Strange!

How can this happen? Where was this email lodged for the last 7+ years?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 22:32   #3147
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,639
Thanked: 7,178 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks folks. Will try it out. The main problem is that the BB entries are far more numerous than in Nokia so Nokia reports the correct number of entries, and then bombs out. Will try out all the tricks!
Use Csv to update the outlook address book and then sync to Nokia Mapping is the only pain part, different phones use different address blocks of outlook.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 00:40   #3148
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,873
Thanked: 2,431 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The strangest (as well as spookiest) thing has just happened.

I woke up today morning to see an email in my Yahoo inbox. This email is dated Nov 11, 2003 and comes from my own email ID! Although the email was indeed sent by me (from my work ID to my personal ID), but it is pertinent to mention here that the sender ID was deactivated in May 2004 (when I left the company).

And btw, the email is only in my BB Yahoo inbox, and not there on my web Yahoo inbox! Strange!

How can this happen? Where was this email lodged for the last 7+ years?
Check back a few pages, It happened with me too but with not so old message but just an year old messages.

It basically shows an old message as unread & shows it again in your Inbox. I dont know why. Just check out more posts after the following ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Guys I need help, For one of my configured emails, I am getting old mails pulled out & shown as new & they are completely random like today morning it pulled mails from late October, 2 days it was from early October.

This is happening only for one of the mails (rediffmail id), not sure if this could be the reason but a few days ago I had selected 'Reconcile Now' option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I had a similar problem with my yahoo id. i was told to remove the account on the berry, update the service book, and then add the account, and update the service book again (on airtel.blackberrry.com) Try doing that. Worked for me.

I'm not sure what the reconcile now option does, anyone else knows what it does?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 11:02   #3149
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The strangest (as well as spookiest) thing has just happened.

I woke up today morning to see an email in my Yahoo inbox. This email is dated Nov 11, 2003 and comes from my own email ID! Although the email was indeed sent by me (from my work ID to my personal ID), but it is pertinent to mention here that the sender ID was deactivated in May 2004 (when I left the company).

And btw, the email is only in my BB Yahoo inbox, and not there on my web Yahoo inbox! Strange!

How can this happen? Where was this email lodged for the last 7+ years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Check back a few pages, It happened with me too but with not so old message but just an year old messages.

It basically shows an old message as unread & shows it again in your Inbox. I dont know why. Just check out more posts after the following ones
Why should this event happen, when my BB inbox settings are to delete any message older than 30 days?

And how could it deliver an email from 2003 now?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 11:08   #3150
BHPian
 
nandishpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

good news for blackberry pearl buyers,
the price has gone to 12,200 inclusive of all taxes with 18 month all india warranty,
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks