Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 20:12   #316
BHPian
 
Rasputin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Tried all that antics which Mobilestore; but apparently they cannot do anything on BB Storm as Vodafone has an exclusive tie-up in India. Vodafone cooly turnmed down citing the exclusive partner factor.
Then my efforts shifted to getting an unlock code from the likes of horizon wireless, crackberry etc..But even they do not have the code corresponding to Voda India IMEI number.
Bottom line : my search for the unlock code is still on..
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 20:47   #317
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I dont think its going to take you anywhere... Vodafone has a exclusive deal with RIM to launch the Storm in India. So there's slim chance that non-grey unlocked phones will show up.
... Take everything with a pinch of salt and you'll be ok
Yes, Storm is an exclusive Vodafone deal, but then, if they have advertised that they are giving a unlocked phone, then it should be it.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 22:06   #318
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Tried all that antics which Mobilestore; but apparently they cannot do anything on BB Storm as Vodafone has an exclusive tie-up in India. Vodafone cooly turnmed down citing the exclusive partner factor.
Then my efforts shifted to getting an unlock code from the likes of horizon wireless, crackberry etc..But even they do not have the code corresponding to Voda India IMEI number.
Bottom line : my search for the unlock code is still on..
Apparently Vodafone has spent a lot of money on having the Storm developed for its own network.

They wanted RIM to build in network preferences, therefore the service fees to RIM from Vodafone.


If you have been used to unlocking other RIM BB phones to move onto another carrier, the Storm is going to be a headache as it has stringent network selection/debarring programmed into the phone.

There will be someone who will unlock the phone (as in iPhones) but wait for the time.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 17:04   #319
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Best VFM BB model

Greetings everyone,

I have no knowledge about BB phones, but I'm looking to get one that's VFM. A few Qs:
1. Is it advised to buy one from the cell phone service provider only, or is it OK to purchase it elsewhere? What advantages/disadvantages are there to buying one from outside as opposed to buying it from Vodafone, Airtel, etc. How do their prices compare?
2. I am looking for one that has a built-in WiFi. What models have these? How would you guys rate the following models: BB 8320, BB 8310, BB Curve 8300 & BB Pearl 8120. I asked around and there are some shops that sell them in the grey market (unlocked) with complete M. V. A. T. bifurcated Commercial Invoice, One Year Warranty on Software & Six Months Warranty on Hardware. Is it OK to buy them in the grey market from such vendors?
3. What OS do BB phones use?

Look forward to some replies.

Thanks.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 18:08   #320
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default What Service Provider

For BB services, who's the better service provider between Vodafone & AirTel?

I was reading the features list on some BB models, and some have Wireless Email, Wireless Internet, but no WiFi. What does that mean?

Just as other phones, can Instant Messaging programs such as Gtalk, MSN, Skype, etc. be downloaded automatically by downloading Fring?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 22:55   #321
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Tried all that antics which Mobilestore; but apparently they cannot do anything on BB Storm as Vodafone has an exclusive tie-up in India. Vodafone cooly turnmed down citing the exclusive partner factor.
Then my efforts shifted to getting an unlock code from the likes of horizon wireless, crackberry etc..But even they do not have the code corresponding to Voda India IMEI number.
Bottom line : my search for the unlock code is still on..
And it will be on for sometime to come, I've been trying to find codes as well but no luck yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Apparently Vodafone has spent a lot of money on having the Storm developed for its own network.

They wanted RIM to build in network preferences, therefore the service fees to RIM from Vodafone.


If you have been used to unlocking other RIM BB phones to move onto another carrier, the Storm is going to be a headache as it has stringent network selection/debarring programmed into the phone.

There will be someone who will unlock the phone (as in iPhones) but wait for the time.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
M M
Its nothing like that, the storm was developed to work with the Vodafone UK network's music store. Except that there is no difference. The Vodafone storm is the 9500 but strangely it has the Qualcomm 3G CDMA written on the back. I fiddled with the s/w the CDMA isnt there. Blackberries universally have a CODE type unlock system but most of the online people who do that dont have codes for India because there is very little (or any) business. And prefer reselling codes for other operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Greetings everyone,

I have no knowledge about BB phones, but I'm looking to get one that's VFM. A few Qs:
1. Is it advised to buy one from the cell phone service provider only, or is it OK to purchase it elsewhere? What advantages/disadvantages are there to buying one from outside as opposed to buying it from Vodafone, Airtel, etc. How do their prices compare?
2. I am looking for one that has a built-in WiFi. What models have these? How would you guys rate the following models: BB 8320, BB 8310, BB Curve 8300 & BB Pearl 8120. I asked around and there are some shops that sell them in the grey market (unlocked) with complete M. V. A. T. bifurcated Commercial Invoice, One Year Warranty on Software & Six Months Warranty on Hardware. Is it OK to buy them in the grey market from such vendors?
3. What OS do BB phones use?

Look forward to some replies.

Thanks.
1. No you should get one from where you are getting the best deal, and never get a Indian network locked unit because its impossible to get the unlock codes. The price difference is so huge there is no logic about buying a locked one and paying more.

2. Usually devices whose model numbers end in XX20 are Wi-Fi enabled models. So from the above only 8120 and 8320 have wifi and the 8320 is a excellent handset just be careful you dont get taken on a ride on the price front. And yes its totally ok to buy from grey market because out of experence I can say that BB's dont break down unless they are physically abused but thats not covered under warrenty anyway.

3. BB's use a propeitory OS which is on the Java platform and have tons and tons of apps available for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
For BB services, who's the better service provider between Vodafone & AirTel?

I was reading the features list on some BB models, and some have Wireless Email, Wireless Internet, but no WiFi. What does that mean?

Just as other phones, can Instant Messaging programs such as Gtalk, MSN, Skype, etc. be downloaded automatically by downloading Fring?
A BB is nothing without the BIS plan. I would highly reccomend you to look forward to paying the BB rent every month. Read the whole thread till a couple of pages back you will get a idea. You dont need fring GTalk, MSN etc are available for the Blackberry Platform. Hope that helps.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 23:09   #322
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
never get a Indian network locked unit because its impossible to get the unlock codes. The price difference is so huge there is no logic about buying a locked one and paying more
So, if I get one which is unlocked (which is recommended), it means that it is being sold as grey, without Bill & Warranty, correct?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 07:01   #323
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default

Yes!

Blackberry warrent is non existant right now. If you check earlier pages you will be able to see they are going to be available unlocked officially. The new ones 8220,8900,9000,9500 dont make much sense to buy in grey as the price difference is too less.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 12:11   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Rasputin, How much you paid buddy ? I dont mind exchanging my Pearl 8120 with you which is unlocked officially. I too had bought from Mobilestore with the sales guy claiming that its an unlocked handset. Later I realised its locked to airtel, since I was using airtel, I didnt go back for unlock code, but recently I got it officially done by airtel itself before I moved to vodafone. Let me know if you are interested !

Last edited by shajufx : 16th February 2009 at 12:16.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 16:21   #325
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default BIS plan needed to get connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
A BB is nothing without the BIS plan. I would highly reccomend you to look forward to paying the BB rent every month
Let me understand this correctly.
I am looking to get a BB handset that has a built-in WiFi. I need this feature, primarlily to be able to check email, and occasional browsing. That said, do I still need to sign up for the service plan from my service provider?
If so, that works out to be costly, because as someone posted, Vodafone charges a monthly rental of 899/- for their unlimited plan, in addition to their regular monthly rental (199/-, 299/-, etc.)
What does this plan cover? Just as other phones like the Nokia E71, would I still be able to connect to the internet at places that have WiFi?

Thanks
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 16:30   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Let me understand this correctly.
I am looking to get a BB handset that has a built-in WiFi. I need this feature, primarlily to be able to check email, and occasional browsing. That said, do I still need to sign up for the service plan from my service provider?
If so, that works out to be costly, because as someone posted, Vodafone charges a monthly rental of 899/- for their unlimited plan, in addition to their regular monthly rental (199/-, 299/-, etc.)
What does this plan cover? Just as other phones like the Nokia E71, would I still be able to connect to the internet at places that have WiFi?

Thanks
@luvjascha - I have had the exact same query for months, and somehow this thread has complicated it further.

I would love to buy a BB handset, for its QWERTY keypad and its user friendliness. But from what I gather, people say that its useless without a BB plan, which costs Rs 849/1099. Since I am in front of the PC 8-10 hrs/day, that amount is a highly useless expenditure for me.

If I remember correct, quickdraw and shajufx had mentioned quite clearly that if your data source for mails would be WiFi/GPRS (i.e. occasional pull based mail checking), then you are better off with a Nokia E71.

However, if you HAVE to be connected to mails 24x7 on a push basis, then go for a BB with a correpsondingly expensive (fleece) data plan from our Thug Providers.

Unless you have excess cash lying around
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 16:36   #327
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Nishant, we already have an E71 in the family, and I have my heart set on a BB handset with a built-in WiFi.
All I need to know is whether or not the BB handset will function without signing up for the BB plan, i.e. will I be able to get online from airports, coffee shops, etc. that have WiFi.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 16:49   #328
BHPian
 
sreedotk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 215
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Nishant, we already have an E71 in the family, and I have my heart set on a BB handset with a built-in WiFi.
All I need to know is whether or not the BB handset will function without signing up for the BB plan, i.e. will I be able to get online from airports, coffee shops, etc. that have WiFi.
If you need the blackberry mail service to work then you need a Blackberry plan from your service provide. I doubt the browser and other data requirement programs will work without the BB access contract. Bottom line if you are using a blackberry device you need a blackberry service

The wifi access is only for your browsing , you tube, gmail client and other clients that you can download over the air and use it with GPRS adn Wifi. From what i remember right for the unlimited BlackBerry plan you also get unlimited GPRS access on airtel. (I might be wrong here).

Last edited by sreedotk : 16th February 2009 at 16:52.
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 17:21   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Nishant, we already have an E71 in the family, and I have my heart set on a BB handset with a built-in WiFi.
All I need to know is whether or not the BB handset will function without signing up for the BB plan, i.e. will I be able to get online from airports, coffee shops, etc. that have WiFi.
Whoever is used to a normal smartphone will have the same doubts, and its been clarified many times over these pages in this thread. I will summarise in few lines;
1) If your main purpose is browsing over wi-fi, its better dont buy a blackberry (RIM) device. Blackberry will work on a wi-fi anywhere with an open wi-fi access (home, office, airports, coffee day etc.) but only browsing and checking emails manually, no messengers function on wi-fi.

2) If you want to subscribe to GPRS or Mobile Office once a while (travelling etc.), its better dont buy a blackberry device. Because any of these services will function only if actual blackberry plans are activated (as far as airtel is concerned, i think same applies to other networks), and if the Blackberry plan is activated, you will not require any other services.

3) If you dont want to waste 899/-+taxes on a push email feature 24/7 and occasional messenger usages, dont buy a blackberry.

4) If the purpose is the snob value or business-like show off in public places or at meetings, BUY IT but prepare to spent extra 899 per month to keep it a real blackberry.

Any other questions, please shoot, there are many die-hard BB users here.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 17:31   #330
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I like BB phones for the way they look - classy. Quite honestly, I am not interested in the features they offer or their plans; just so long as I'm able to get online from WiFi-enabled places.
How do IMs such as Gtalk, MSN, Skype, etc. get downloaded on BB phones?
@shajufz: IMs don't work over WiFi?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks