Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 12:51   #3346
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,194
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Ok so I think thats a leaked version which has been out for a while, hence the bugs.

Try upgrading to this
https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...CD0198E85F6D3A

It should solve most of your issues since it is supposed to be a stable OS. Try this and if you do not like it then downgrade.

Also remember to delete the vendor.xml file.

I don't think its a leaked version, as i got it through the bb desktop software. Anyways, thanks for the tip, i'll check out the one which you've recommended.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 12:52   #3347
BHPian
 
Xehaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 845
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

A little help required. I am currently using a BB 9780 and in Feb 2011 i paid up a yearly upfront line rental to Vodafone for BB services.

My father is using E72 and he is not very comfortable with it as he has been on a BB for long time before he got his E72. So we thought of exchanging our Handsets. Today morning i called up Vodafone customer care asking if i can discontinue my BB services and settle my balance amount against my future bills or get refund. They simply refused.

I was told that if i change my handset or loose my BB and end up using some other fone (READ : NON BLACKBERRY) the money is gone. Those funds can neither be refunded nor adjusted against my future bills.

Is this legal or logical? I was bound to use a BB only but my dad needs one more than i do. And his E72 is hardly 4-5 months old and i don't see any problem with it, so i don't want to sell it and loose a sustainable amount on it. Also dad is a Airtel customer, so no option of adjusting the balance to his BB services :(

The situation for me now is, either loose out a part of the advance rental of BB services ( INR 6999) or loose out on re sale of E72. Only if Vodafone had a refund policy i wouldn't be loosing on anything and happily switch over my fone with dad's.
The yearly upfront plan for BB is that way. Once youve paid up, thats the end of it. There is no refund policy & the plan is so that you end up paying a lower rental than you would normally.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 12:55   #3348
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,085 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I don't think its a leaked version, as i got it through the bb desktop software. Anyways, thanks for the tip, i'll check out the one which you've recommended.
Do check it. Im 99% sure it will change ur views on OS6 .448 which you had was a buggy version.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 13:07   #3349
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 1,899 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

How can i get FB updates to sync to Social Feeds? Mine doesnt give the option to tick FB
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 14:18   #3350
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Guys, I'm facing a VERY strange problem with my 8520.

I recently moved full time to Android. Hence, got the BIS plan deactivated on the BB.

Now the phone has started dropping network VERY frequently. And it's happening on both Airtel and Vodafone SIMs (hence my doubt).

It goes like this - I get a call/SMS and as soon as I hang up the phone loses network and displays SOS. While the network returns on it's own in 3-5 seconds, I feel this is scary.

And this NEVER happened when the BIS plan was active. Any co-relation?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 15:33   #3351
BHPian
 
IndianNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 150
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Got as SMS about Reliance Blackberry @ Rs 599 per month plan, emailed them and got the following details.

Provides unlimited Data Usage (Browsing and Email access)
• Supports Blackberry Push email messaging
• Facility to add upto 10 existing email addresses
• One can view, manage, and respond to email messages from the BlackBerry smart phone by subscribing to this plan
• Availability of Browser
• Access to mobile.blackberry.com
• Can view HTML Email (Available with HH software v4.5)
• Quick and simple email messaging setup using automatic login
• Access to social networking applications built by RIM (i.e. Flickr, Facebook, MySpace)
• Access to applications that utilize push data
• Access to Rworld
• Download a game from a third-party web site
• Download an application from a third party web site
• Email configuration from device
• Download attachments in below listed format:
- jpeg, .bmp, .tiff, .rtf, Microsoft Word (.doc)
- Microsoft® Excel (.xls)
- Microsoft® PowerPoint (.ppt) - View as slideshow format
- Corel® WordPerfect (.wpd)
- Adobe® Acrobat PDF (.pdf)- View as slideshow format
- Attach and upload files up to 3MB in size to email messages, instant messages, or MMS messages
• Supports forwarding of Attachment
• Auto BCC, Auto Forwarding, Filters, iCal support, read/delivery receipts, Vcard support,
• Send and Accept Wireless Meeting Requests (iCal)
• Instant messaging applications:
- Real-time messaging support
- BlackBerry Messenger support
- Other instant messengers supported are:
1. Yahoo Messenger for BlackBerry smart phones
2. Google Talk for BlackBerry smart phones
3. Windows Live Messenger for BlackBerry smart phones.


Currently available plans are as below.

Name:  Plans.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  60.8 KB

The details about the new plan is not mentioned on the website.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 10:58   #3352
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 283
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

@harshal: the advance rental is not with vodafone the mponey gets paid directly to blackberry. they (service provider) have no control over the funds. hence your money cannot be refunded. you can however have the plan transferrred to his phone if you'll are on the same network.

@JayD on the previous page i posted the link to the OS 6 super page for blackberry from the crackberry forums. and a couple of pages ago the entire process of an update. you could also do a brick-force re-install. Delete any BBOS 6 files you have installed. you can find this in your add/remove programs list. Back up phone. Download the latest OS5 that can be found and install to PC. delete "vendor.xml". remove battery. plug into PC without battery. open up desktop manager followed by "loader.exe". loader will tell you it has detected an older software on your pc say ok and continue installation.

@nishant: OS reinstall and/or delete gsm service book and undelete immediately.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 15:59   #3353
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@nishant: OS reinstall and/or delete gsm service book and undelete immediately.
Will the delete and undelete option for GSM service book work if I'm not on BIS BB Plan? I guess not?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 22:16   #3354
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Got as SMS about Reliance Blackberry @ Rs 599 per month plan, emailed them and got the following details.

Provides unlimited Data Usage (Browsing and Email access)
• Supports Blackberry Push email messaging
• Facility to add upto 10 existing email addresses
• One can view, manage, and respond to email messages from the BlackBerry smart phone by subscribing to this plan
• Availability of Browser
• Access to mobile.blackberry.com
• Can view HTML Email (Available with HH software v4.5)
• Quick and simple email messaging setup using automatic login
• Access to social networking applications built by RIM (i.e. Flickr, Facebook, MySpace)
• Access to applications that utilize push data
• Access to Rworld
• Download a game from a third-party web site
• Download an application from a third party web site
• Email configuration from device
• Download attachments in below listed format:
- jpeg, .bmp, .tiff, .rtf, Microsoft Word (.doc)
- Microsoft® Excel (.xls)
- Microsoft® PowerPoint (.ppt) - View as slideshow format
- Corel® WordPerfect (.wpd)
- Adobe® Acrobat PDF (.pdf)- View as slideshow format
- Attach and upload files up to 3MB in size to email messages, instant messages, or MMS messages
• Supports forwarding of Attachment
• Auto BCC, Auto Forwarding, Filters, iCal support, read/delivery receipts, Vcard support,
• Send and Accept Wireless Meeting Requests (iCal)
• Instant messaging applications:
- Real-time messaging support
- BlackBerry Messenger support
- Other instant messengers supported are:
1. Yahoo Messenger for BlackBerry smart phones
2. Google Talk for BlackBerry smart phones
3. Windows Live Messenger for BlackBerry smart phones.


Currently available plans are as below.

Attachment 543778

The details about the new plan is not mentioned on the website.
I think this plan is available at least for one month. I also got this info while talking to customer care few weeks back though the website is not updated.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 11:57   #3355
BHPian
 
rm_arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 445
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

there is an ad in times hyd edition , BB storm 9530 3G for rs.10560.

How good is the phone , any user review would help .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:22   #3356
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
there is an ad in times hyd edition , BB storm 9530 3G for rs.10560.

How good is the phone , any user review would help .
Storm is a complete touch phone. BB touch phones are not very user friendly. If you want a BB for the emailing purpose in that price range kindly get the BB 8520 or the Pearl 3G. Any day better phones than the Storm.

Also, if touch screen is attracting you, go for any of the Android touch screens. Many good options in price bracket of 10 to 12k eg. HTC WILDFIRE.

P.S. This is just my opinion
h@r$h@l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:52   #3357
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Storm is a complete touch phone. BB touch phones are not very user friendly. If you want a BB for the emailing purpose in that price range kindly get the BB 8520 or the Pearl 3G. Any day better phones than the Storm.

Also, if touch screen is attracting you, go for any of the Android touch screens. Many good options in price bracket of 10 to 12k eg. HTC WILDFIRE.

P.S. This is just my opinion
+1 to that. the USP (of BB on the hardware front) is an amazing QWERTY keyboard.

If emails are more important, go for a BB 8520/9300.

If touch screen is of a greater importance, go for an Android (Optimus P500 / Galaxy Ace)
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 13:02   #3358
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

guys,

one quick question. I am looking to upgrade my dad's fone. from E72 to BB. we check Bold 3 yesterday for him. He found it over priced for his useage.

I asked at Mobile store for Bold 2 and they told me that it is discontinued. is it true? I find the Bold 2 quite enough for his use. I also showed him the Curve series, he didnt like any of the 2.

was quoted 23,xxx for Bold 3 and 28,xxx for Torch.

thanks.
h@r$h@l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 14:16   #3359
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
guys,

one quick question. I am looking to upgrade my dad's fone. from E72 to BB. we check Bold 3 yesterday for him. He found it over priced for his useage.

I asked at Mobile store for Bold 2 and they told me that it is discontinued. is it true? I find the Bold 2 quite enough for his use. I also showed him the Curve series, he didnt like any of the 2.

was quoted 23,xxx for Bold 3 and 28,xxx for Torch.

thanks.
The only difference (AFAIK) between Bold 2 and 3 (9700 vs 9780) is RAM. The former has 256 MB while the latter has 512 MB. Even I feel 9780 is over prices for the features and the price differential between the two is weird. I dont think 9700 is discontinued

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th May 2011 at 14:17.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 14:27   #3360
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Just updating about BB service. Moved to DoCoMo for the BB package they have. Costs 399Rs; unlimited 3G + BIS. Reception is bad; Airtel rules here.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:38.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks